Monday, September 12, 2005

Kam Heong Clams

Ever since I discovered the pasar tani (Malay for farmers' market) at Section 17, I have been a regular there especially the shellfish stall which sells a variety of bivalves such as these clams, green lipped mussels, oysters, bali tong and etc.

This time around, the stall had slightly smaller clams with less thick shell which I bought to make these clams using a style called Kam Heong. This style is spicy with the addition of curry leaves and is extremely popular at seafood restaurants. You can also use the sauce to cook crabs.

I tried the recipe off the Hawkers Fair Simplified and made slight modifications for my clams, adding chillis instead since I did not have any chilli padis. The dish didn't taste exactly like the kam heong style at the seafood places which could be due to my blend of ingredients as the ones outside look darker with probably more dark soya sauce. It was still tasty and spicy that it burned my tongue a bit when I was eating it.

Kam Heong Clams

2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp dried prawns, soaked
2 tbsp curry leaves
10 shallots, chopped
10 chilli padi, chopped
600g clams, soaked in salt water for 2-3 hours and drained

Seasoning
1/2 tsp taucheong/fermented soya bean paste
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dark soya sauce

Heat up 2 tbsp oil and saute dried prawns till fragrant. Add in curry leaves, shallots, chilli padi and stir fry till aromatic.

Add in clams, seasoning and stir fry at high heat until well mixed. Cover the lid, cook for about 2 minutes until clams are opened. Thicken with corn flour mixed with water. Mix well and dish up.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 comments:

Reid said...

Hi boo_licious,

Those clams look so good. I don't normally cook clams at home because I can never seem to get them right. Hats off to you!

eat stuff said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Pippies!
looks delish boo

boo_licious said...

mrst, reid and amy - I must admit this is only the second time cooking clams at home. It's not perfect like the ones outside but it still tasted great and it was so much cheaper.

clare - it was delish,we finished all of them with lots of rice.

pingmouse said...

hi boo_licious, I tried your recipe few days ago and I posted it in my blog here:

http://pingmouse.com/2008/11/kam-heong-clams.html

It was a disaster coz of several things I did wrong! How did you get it so dry? The longer I wait for them to open up the more water is present...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...