Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Yam Rice, Mixed Pork Soup and Stewed Pork Trotters @ Sungai Way New Village, Petaling Jaya



Here's another part of Petaling Jaya which I never knew existed until I recently read an entry on Vincent's Waisikkai. Although I'm familiar with Sungai Way for Ah Sang Bak Kut Teh, the market and the area surrounding it, I was astonished when I read Vincent's entry on a place to eat within the village. Armed with my handy roadmap (I didn't have Splashie Boy's superwoman GPS who sweetly tells you which turns to take to reach your destination that day), I found this place quite easily. One thing that struck me about the surrounding area was the roads are super narrow (they're one way streets) and there were so many Indonesian stalls around. With signs proclaiming they sell Minang food, Bakso, Pecal, Lontong and etc, you will think it's actually Kampung Baru. I guess due to the proximity of the village to the factories means there's now a high number of Indonesians residing here.



Once you get your bearings right, it's pretty easy to get here. Although the restaurant does not sport any signboard, you will see the Mixed Pork Soup sign and the huge metal container used to boil the pork soup. An old man runs the stall together with his young helper. Remembering what I read from Waisikkai, I ordered the works - stewed pork trotters, mixed pork soup and yam rice. The mixed pork soup was my favourite. The bowl came chock-full with all parts of the pig like the stomach, liver, lung, intestine, belly plus pork balls. I really loved the tiny pork balls which were tender and mixed with bits of dried cuttlefish giving it additional aroma. Served with lots of coriander and chopped preserved vegetable (ham choy), the soup was slightly peppery.


The yam rice was aromatic with chunks of soft yam and dried prawns that went really well with the mixed pork soup and the gravy from the stewed pork trotters.


Although the pork trotters' gravy was quite full of flavour and thick, I didn't like the fact it was full of lean meat. I guess next time if I revisit this place, I will have to ask him to give me the trotters rather than the lean parts. Pricewise, this place is great value for money. An order for mixed pork soup and yam rice is RM4 while the stewed pork trotters is about RM4. The place also serves char kuey teow and chicken rice.

Mixed Pork Soup Stall
At the crossroads of SS9A/2 and SS9A/9
Sungai Way New Village
Petaling Jaya

(Non Halal. Open from 8.30 am to 2 pm. Closed on Mondays. To get here using the LDP as a reference point. Drive towards Sunway from Taman Megah/Damansara Utama, you will pass by the LDP Furniture Mall and an Esso petrol station, take the second left turn after the petrol station where you will see Panasonic factory. Drive straight, you will see a Petronas petrol station on your left and an Indian temple plus Ah Sang Bak Kut Teh on your right. Turn left into SS1/2, go straight. At the T-junction take a right turn, go straight and then make a left turn at another T-junction. Go straight and take a right turn at SS9A/8. Go straight and when you come to the second junction, take a right turn - this road is already SS9A/2. You will see the restaurant on your left hand side, opposite a Chinese temple and a sundry shop. Parking is quite scarce here so you may need to park some distance and walk. Note that the village is a route of one way streets so follow the no entry and one way signs.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with: + +

18 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

why do u go to all these funky places that i have never heard of and no map will bring me to? looks like not only will i have to save up for food but i need a GPS soon as well..hahaha

the pork soup looks more like pork noodles minus the noodles rather then the usual pepper spare part soup..served with yam rice is definitely a first as well

Rarebeet said...

My god, I have so many places I have to try. How am I going to catch up without giving myself a heart attack?! Wish I had two stomachs to eat all this glorious food!

What A Lulu said...

the soup looks SO the best-est! can't wait to try it!

What A Lulu said...

what time do they open?

Precious Pea said...

Mixed pork soup looks really really good. Ooo..the colour of the trotter also very good, just perfect i must say. WMW and I was lost in that area when I was looking for Ah Sang BKT and i did noticed that there are lots of non-fancy and probably very good stuffs there. Must venture into that area already since so near my place now...sniff sniff..before i move to setia alam.

Tummythoz said...

That yam rice!! I've been looking out for this in KL since forever! This is what I miss most from the mainland of Pg! I'm so printing this & keeping it next to my driving licence!

Big Boys Oven said...

boo_licious: This is something very interesting indeed. Something at my backyard I also don't know. :) I only know about Sg Way's Bak Kuk Teh.
Do drop by www.bigboyskitchen.blogspot.com as we just initiated new write up.
Sidxxx

sc said...

have been years since i've been to sungai way. it's like cowboy town there, quite intimidating actually! hehe

erinalaw said...

ooooooo....... it's makingme hungry liau. The pork trotter make my air liur meleleh liau...........

~Christine~Leng said...

hm... yam rice... looks appealing. definitely taste good! I'm so hungry! and the pork trotters! *drooling now*

teckiee said...

joe, the text direction good what. And i see the liver and intestines ... boo you are killing me with your pok entries. All so yummy!

Poonky said...

too farrr, jot down the place 1st

tankiasu said...

Oh old school Chinese food!! So going to try it asap. So cheap somemore. ;)

mh said...

ah... the pork trotters look good. waiting for my medical report, hope it won't stop me from trying this ;-).

The Heartland SPG said...

this is not a comment. just that i view your blog everyday since i was still living in belgium. anyways... i have only the whole of next saturday in kl. shop and eat.

so, the best restaurant in bukit bintang. u have one to recommend?

boo_licious said...

joe - No need GPS, just get a road map for RM29.90. Only problem is that is limited to Klang Valley only.

paprika - leave room in tummy for makan feast on Sat, ok?

what a lulu - open from morning till lunch time. Hope you enjoy yrself.

precious pea - yes, a place not very explored. Saw another BKT stall but not as popular as Ah Sang. Ah Sang is actually is down the road from this place.

tummythoz - get someone to bring you here?

bigboysoven - this one is behind the BKT place.

sc - not that bad. Now it's Indon town also.

erinalaw - here's a tissue for you to wipe all that saliva.

christine - quick, make a trip there.

teckiee - quite near yr house, just down from Jalan SS3/39 so you can go this weekend.

poonky - yeah, kinda far for Cheras people. More for PJ folks.

tankiasu - new village food always cheap. The second time I ate there, uncle gave me bigger portion some more so I guess it pays to be a regular here.

tekko - oops, hope you're better. Eat a bit of the trotters but ask for fattier parts. Very lean the ones he gave me.

shazalina - for local food, can try Hot Mama in Sg Wang Plaza's top floor. If you want Western food, try Max! Kitchen and Wines at Tengkat Tungshin, see latest blog entry. Good value for money set lunch.

J said...

Mmmm...
Love the soup+rice at that place.
(You've just reminded me that it's been too long since I went there)

Going there can be disappointing sometimes tho! - I remember one time I went there and found that the uncle had decided not to open that day.

boo_licious said...

j - well, I guess uncle decides to take a day off from work is understandable. He's quite old so must eat a bit before he decides to retire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...