Monday, June 04, 2007

Siam Laksa @ Lum Kee, Medan Selera Section 14, Petaling Jaya



Although this place has been around for a long time, I only recently had a chance to sample their laksa. Part of the reason why I often dread going to Section 14 is the difficulty in getting a car park space but I persevered and suceeded with a nice spot.

It's relatively easy to locate this stall which is at the end of the halal section of the medan selera with the big sign Lum Kee telling the whole world they're in the business of selling curry laksa, assam laksa, mee sup, prawn mee and my absolute favourite the siam laksa. Essentially a mix of the two laksas - the tangy assam and the coconut creamy curry, it's the best of both worlds. Lum Kee's version definitely hit a sweet spot for me and I was slowly slurping down the mixed laksa till the last drop.



I was feeling extra greedy after slurping down my Siam Laksa that I decided to also try a small bowl of their curry laksa. The curry laksa got my thumbs up too - rich with coconut milk but too overly indulgent. I loved the sambal they give you in the spoon. It's not too spicy but I definitely could taste the tiny prawns used to make it. It added a touch of extra yummy to the laksa.

Although I was super curious to try the other offerings, I decided I better stop or else I'll explode with all the laksas. Definitely worth another trip back as I want to sample their other offerings. The stall is relatively quiet and run by two old men with huge metal pots boiling with the delicious laksa broth.

Gerai Makanan Lum Kee
MR22, Medan Selera Section 14
Petaling Jaya

(Open from 10 am to 8pm. Closed on Sunday. Pork free. A small bowl costs RM3.50 with a big bowl at RM4. To get here, walk into the Medan Selera area at Section 14 where the dry cleaners 5asec is located. Take a left and walk down the stairs. You will pass by the Malay stalls and see Lum Kee at the end. Opposite Lum Kee is the drinks stall where you can get fresh sugarcane juice for RM1.30)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+ +

23 comments:

Precious Pea said...

I didn't know Siam Laksa is a mix between Assam and Curry laksa. Anyway..the colour of the curry broth looks good. I would probably ask for extra cockles.

boo_licious said...

precious pea - extra cockles sounds delish. I was quite satisfied with the amount they gave me with my bowl. Both are small bowls.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

if you can eat 2 small bowls..i cant imagine the amount of damage i would have caused to both my stomach and wallet! the curry laksa looks "to die for"..want to try it..hmmm

boo_licious said...

it was very slurpy hence I was so greedy to eat 2 small bowls. Now I feel like returning to sample the assam laksa and prawn mee. aargh!

tankiasu said...

Good timing. Was thinking what to eat for lunch later. Now set, I'll be going to get this Siam Laksa!

boo_licious said...

tankiasu - be warned though, parking is horrendous at this area.

Flower said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Flower said...

I used to have curry laksa from this shop with extra kerang. Yummy. I always order big bowl. I prefer his curry than Penang laksa. Never know that sell siam laksa too. By the way, I never see kerang here in Perth. Kerang with charkuay teow, curry laksa is to die for.....

UnkaLeong said...

Finally, someone visits Lum Kee! Been raving about it to TeamBSG. By the way, one of the old men running the store is my Mah Jong Kaki's Dad. Hahaha...

erinalaw said...

I always love Siam Laksa but it's so difficult to get a good one. Btw, congratulation hor. The female appetite quoted you in their Laksa Topic. If you don't know hor, quickly go grab the magazine. :-)

sc said...

hey, siam laksa in PJ? i never knew! must tell my fren who has been craving for it. thanks boo!

Big Boys Oven said...

Is Siamese laksa and Siam laksa the same? I also know that there is nyonya curry at section14 food court after the row of shophouses during the morning.

Big Boys Oven

boo_licious said...

flower - will take yr advice and ask for extra kerang the next time. Guess in Perth they don't farm cockles as they have better shellfish there, sad as nothing beats char kuey teow with cockles and of course curry laksa.

unkaleong - wahhh! Such a small world. Tell yr Mahjong Kaki that I really love the laksa. Think this will be my regular place for laksa from now on.

erinalaw - yes, not easy to get Siam Laksa as only a few places serve it. Think Little Penang Cafe is one of them during the weekends. Thanks also for the info and yes, I know about it as the writer did contact me sometime back.

sc - hope she likes it. Not sure if up to the Penang standards but ok for me.

big boys oven - I think it's the same as it usually means a mix of tangy and lemak esp in Penang from what I read before. Nyonya curry sounds delish - where exactly is this? At the food court or at the shophouses next to Da Jang Geum Korean restaurant?

wmw said...

There is a slightly different version at Medan Selera in SS2, I think it's stall no. 52, sells Thai Laksa. Not a lot of liu but it's quite nice in its own simple way.

wushukid said...

I have stayed away from cockles after reported health hazard. Am i missing something!

iznina said...

hai, have u ever try food at wong solo?

Xiu Long Bao said...

I suppose dat you are a noodles lover?

boo_licious said...

wmw - thanks for the tip. Sounds delish and will give it a try.

wushu kid - cockles can be bad if you don't get yr jabs but somehow these dishes don't taste the same without cockles.

izaida - nope, where is it and what do they serve? Sounds interesting.

xiu loong bao - I eat everything but I love a good laksa if I can find it.

tankiasu said...

Luckily you informed me in advance that they are closed y'day. Otherwise I'll be massively disappointed, esp after susah-payah getting a parking in that area!

boo_licious said...

tankiasu - I guess the two uncles decided to take an extra day off with the holidays. Strange as he definitely told me, we are closed only on "lai pai"! Sigh, I ended up at Jaya Noodle House for satisfying ngau lam noodles.

iznina said...

somewhere in ampang...i heard from frens of mine said they sell indo food specialty in ayam bakar called ayam bakar wong solo...price are reasonable...

boo_licious said...

izaida - that sounds really delicious. If you give me more details, I'll make a trip there. Will be blogging abt another Indon chicken specialty this Friday - ayam penyet from Jawa.

boo_licious said...

izaida - I just blog searched it. The chicken is similar to ayam penyet from what I can gather. Seems it is somewhere in Taman Dagang.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...