Friday, June 01, 2007

Masakan Melayu @ Pekan Kopitiam, Plaza Damansara, Kuala Lumpur




It's been quite some time since I posted on Malay food. Call it bad planning but my internal schedules have kinda gone haywire with me being away from home. I'm slowly adapting to home so bear with me as I still owe all of you the index.

Here's a new place at Plaza Damansara - Pekan Kopitiam which we stumbled upon one night when searching for food. The name of the coffeeshop refers to the town Pekan which is where the owner is from but it serves a mish mash of Malay food. During lunch time, there's various types of dishes and curries laid out but at night, you need to order from the menu. Since it's pretty new, the food seems to be evolving. We tried this interesting Kelantan Royalty Murtabak (RM4). Made by someone who used to work at the Kelantan palace, the murtabak is unusual as it's thicker with a double layer. It's also crispy on the outside and kinda reminds me of a stuffed french toast. Tastewise it's pretty good and the filling is not too dry while I like the crispy outside.



They also have various types of Fried Rice here but I tried the unusual Nasi Goreng Ladna (RM5). This type of fried rice is accompanied by the sauce which is similar to the Cantonese Style Noodles except in this case it's not so starchy. This version is quite nice and spicy with lots of chopped chili padi.



We also ordered a portion of Keropok Lekor (RM2) to try - not bad and nice eaten piping hot with the chili sauce. I almost burnt my tongue eating this as it was so hot.

Aside from these items, you can order various fried dishes here. Note the menu is not complete hence ask the waiter or waitress to recommend what are the other dishes for you. On another topic, note that Hartamas Shopping Centre is having their Taste of Japan fair this weekend till early June 2007. There's not much as it's mostly selling the same items like Meiji chocolates, Sake, Calpyso drinks, Pocky Chocolate and etc which is available at the Japanese shop there.

Pekan Kopitiam
No. 57, Ground and Mezzanine Floor
Plaza Damansara
Medan Setia Satu
Damansara Heights
Kuala Lumpur

(Halal. The kopitiam is near the 7 Eleven but at the next block. The shop is located at the corner.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Boo,
The murtabak & lekor really look delicious! If not of my sore throat, I would go there for dinner tonite :(...btw, are they open for dinner?

Unknown said...

Will definitely try this out.

Went to Just Heavenly after your earlier posting and managed to have a chat with the proprietor. Seems like an affable and knowledgeable chap. Oh, and the cakes were outstanding.

Keep those Damansara-area reviews coming! I'm always on the lookout for places to go for lunch/tea :)

Rarebeet said...

I thought the murtabak was a cake! Looks crispy and delicious. Must go and try when in the area.

boo_licious said...

janis - hope you get better. The weather has been terrible that quite a lot of people are down with flu. The food we had was during dinnertime. Lunchtime is kinda buffet style.

jackson - yeah, it kinda look like one minus the tomato sauce. I love keropok lekor too.

gastro - no problems and so glad you liked Just Heavenly's cakes.

paprika - at first I thought it was deep fried but they told me no it's pan fried. Very crispy and unusual style.

Xiu Long Bao said...

thx for recommending this eatery. im so deprived of gud food during lunch time @ my new working place
:(

boo_licious said...

xiu long bao - no problems. where's yr office? Is it at plaza dsara itself? If it is, there's a lot of those mobile stalls in front of Menara SBB - cheap food on the go and the nasi lemak next to the mini police station is quite good also.

iznina said...

hai, i've been viewing ur blog since two weeks ago n so far i aldy tried 2 places reviewed by you...
1) izzi restaurant
2) just heavenly pleasure

i'm going to try for nasi padang (as been reviewed by u also) this coming weekend...

err hopefully u dunt mind coz i put your link for the entry of just heavenly pleasure in my blog...hope u can recommend more malay food in the future... :D

zewt said...

the murtabak a bit out of the ordinary eh... now... i must go home and stuff some stuff in my stomach just to control my hunger.

Timothy said...

Following behind your footstep, I need to exercise my duty as well. If you note, I seldom write about anything else other than western and chinese food.

tankiasu said...

Oh so near my office. The price here seems quite reasonable. Shall try it for lunch soon.

Princess Shu said...

oh my goodness seeing all these pictures of the yummy food is making me miss malaysia and malasyain food sooo sooo bad!!!

Big Boys Oven said...

Aiyoh... I was driving thro Plaza Damansara twice on thursday. I cud not find some of the recommendation and end up at secret recipe. Hmmmm....

Sid

Elaine said...

At a glance, i thought that fried rice slathered with broth was Som Tam or something!

Dear gawd...here I go with my cravings again.

Xiu Long Bao said...

i just moved to Shell House, located @ changkat semantan. I only had chap fan for the past few days. Must try the mobile stalls recommended by u :)

boo_licious said...

izaida - no problems. Glad you enjoyed Izzi and Just Heavenly.

zewt - guess since they make it for royalty, it's slightly unusual.

timothy - good on you! There's also Indian food and other types of cuisines to try.

tankiasu - this type of food only available at night so no idea what they serve during the daytime.

princess shu - you poor thing! Hope you get to come home soon.

big boys oven - it sounds like you went to Pusat Bandar Dsara since there's a Secret Recipe there? OR did you end up at Jalan Setiabakti near the school where there's also a Secret Recipe next to Decanter? Plaza Damansara is near Menara SBB and the mosque which is way away from Pusat Bdr Dsara - lots of restaurants there. Silom, Sandias, La Suisse, Flamenco, Chef and Brew, The Bakery and the mamaks.

the expedited writer - nope, just something similar to Cantonese fried except it's rice. Really nice and soupy.

xiu long bao - gosh that place has very little food as it's all the way up there unless you drive out to eat. Try the SPPK food court and the one in Menara HP which is nearer for you or else you need to drive out. Alternatives will be the nice restaurants at the houses like Courtyard, Bien Sur and Jarrod and Rawlins. Fig Tree is also somewhere inside there. Or you can go try the food across in Semantan Suites - Las Carretas or that Cameo place.

foodieking said...

The food here is absolutely gorgeous and cheap. Nasi Lemak is good as well as the tropical ice blended drinks. Coffee is good too.

Azmi @ Ming said...

owhhhh,no wonder your blog comes in top ranking when I'm "Google"ing about Keropok Lekor.
BTW, I'm offering you guys about my stuff.I'm selling Keropok Lekor,purely made in Kemaman,Terengganu.I know you can evaluate the difference of taste about keropok lekor.If boo licious's Keropok Lekor picture is original,I think the keropok lekor is from Terengganu also.
BTW, if all of you interested about my stuff, do surf my Catalogue at http://jemiey04.fotopages.com

jazrul said...

i like to keropok lekor

malaysia seo

jazrul said...

i like to nasi kandar
web design

fauzi said...

i like laksa penang


malaysia web design

fauzi said...

i like nasi goreng usa

hydrant system

fauzi said...

i like pisang goerng

malaysia seo

fauzi said...

i like nasi goreng

fauzi said...

i like nasi goreng ikan masin
malaysia web design

jazrul said...

i like to rojak

malaysia web design

Unknown said...

Never go to this restaurant ! I had the most expensive mix rice in my life at Pekan Kopitiam @ Plaza Damansara, RM14.50. No air-con, simple restaurant setup, food taste eatable only (u & me also can cook, perhaps better taste).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...