Thursday, June 21, 2007

Revisiting Max! Kitchen and Wines



It's been a while since I dined at
Max! Kitchen and Wines. Since I was in town for an errand, I decided to drop by on the proviso I could get parking right in front of the restaurant. I guess I got lucky as I scored a space after the second round around Jalan Alor and Tengkat Tung Shin. It was good to catch up with Max and to chat about his new ventures. Food was as good as ever. I had the set lunch which is now RM22++ with an ice lemon tea.


Although he was serving a red lentil soup, I went for the salad - a mixed frisee and lettuce drizzled with balsamic and olive oil that had chardonnay vinegar marinated anchovies, feta cheese cubes and olives. I really liked the anchovies which is a far cry from their tiny ikan bilis cousins from Malaysia. For mains, I had the braised duck leg served with polenta mash and mushroom ragout. I was fascinated with the mix of mushrooms as I spied chanterelles, a morel, button and shitakes.

If you're around the area, do drop by as the set lunch is really worth it - very satisfying meal for that price.

Max! Kitchen and Wines
27 Tengkat Tong Shin
Kuala Lumpur

Tel No: 03 - 2141 8115

(Pork Free. Set lunch is only for Monday to Friday. Closed on Sunday and open for lunch and dinner)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:

21 comments:

wmw said...

Looking forward to dinner there with you folks!

Fulltime Mom said...

wah... the duck looks so good, it is my favourite. will have to revisit soon. does he have any new additions to the menu?

boo_licious said...

wmw - see u there.

fulltime mum - yup, there are new additions. Saw unagi in the appetizers and tuna loin plus beef rib eye in the mains. Do revisit. Food is good.

sc said...

duck and mushrooms, both my faves! must have tasted fantastic *drools*

boo_licious said...

sc - go try for yr Friday lunch. I think you can make it from yr office.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wah..you are going this saturday and you just dropped by..respect!.. i had lunch there once..and wasnt very full..a salad and a baby snapper..but what you had look definitely much better off then mine that time!

The Heartland SPG said...

anchovies look good as always. but i'd love good ol' parma ham to go with my wine.

maybe i'll swing by for an afternoon snack thingey. guess i'll have to scour your old entries and pick one place where i can have a special dinner. gotta make the overnight train ride to kl worthwhile!

Tummythoz said...

Big fresh anchovies? Never had them. Sound so 'kampung', I'm deprived. :(

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

all that for 22 plus??!? wa lau wei! lunch is really good value lar.

Xiu Long Bao said...

huh? i tot u all are going to max out this saturday. truly max fan.haha...So Max increased the set lunch price to rm22 oledi? but still good value.

MeiyeN said...

pathetic, i will never get to try max's set lunch cause my office is so so so... far away :(

Precious Pea said...

Sigh...no chance to try his set lunch, too far for me, unless i take leave. Actually ample of parking right behind Max. Just turn right at the side lane after Max...there is an empty space there.

backStreetGluttons said...

omg running errants also got this type of juicy big duck legs !

how ah ? Can pass yr errants to us next time ah pleassssse ?
( v promise to return very fast )

teckiee said...

boo hoo ...i wont be making it for dinner.

Little Miss Curious said...

Now, that is a delicious looking plate of salad.

boo_licious said...

joe - the menu does change so I guess you can try their set lunch again.

shazalina - they're only open for lunch and dinner, no tea though. Not sure what food you're looking for but Max is quite special esp for dinner, give it a try.

tummythoz - ikan bilis saja.

lemongrass - that is why I said we shld go for Friday lunch as it's very worth it.

xiu long bao - yeah, he threw an ice lemon tea in there hence the price increase.

meiyen - am sure you can find something great around yr office area?

precious pea - that day don't have so had to park in front.

team bsg - don't think u want my errands or errants. Supremely boring stuff.

teckiee - have fun in redang.

anita - yup, very satisfying meal.

Unknown said...

is the set lunch valid for weekends too? I cant reach there in time with my pathetic one hour lunch break

Big Boys Oven said...

Look great, I luv duckling!

boo_licious said...

kampungboycitygal - sorry, only valid for weekdays so maybe go there when you are off from work?

big boys oven - it was good stuff. Duckling is also my fav.

wanderlust said...

boo_licious, thanks for the wonderful recommendation! I went to Max! on Saturday night and had a meal that was throughly enjoyable and did not empty out my wallet!

It is refreshing to have wait-staffs that know what they are doing and house wine priced at very reasonably and good too. The wine was excellent! (We had a bottle of house white.)

Another thing I must mention is that I went to the restaurant mainly after seeing the picture Anchovies Salad on this page. When I was there, the salad was not on the menu, but they gladly made it for us. I would really enjoy the salad if they replace the green/red leave lettuce (those with ruffle edges), though pretty, they have no texture and taste. The Yubbies appetizer was excellent too.

Overall, it was an extremely satisfying and enjoyable meal.

I would give it a 90/100, they they further improve the coffee quality and dessert menu, I will not hesitate to give a 100!!

boo_licious said...

wanderlust - hey, we were also there on Sat nite but upstairs! A rowdy bunch of people. Glad you liked the food. The salad is for his set lunch menu hence not available in their regular menu.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...