Thursday, February 16, 2006

Assam Laksa @ SS4C Night Market




I love discovering new places to eat hence when I heard about this wonderful assam laksa in Kelana Jaya, I decided to swing over there last night to give it a try. It was a good idea as it meant me using the highway to get home instead of my usual route vide Section 17 which was jammed up with flash floods due to the heavy rain in the evening.

Since it had just stopped raining when I was at the stall, there were no long queues but a steady stream of people ordering their assam laksa to be packed. I eagerly got home (in pretty good time too as there was not much jam since everyone was stuck in town) and heated up the soup base and had it piping hot over the laksa noodles. Very nice and I thought this is by far the nicest assam laksa I have had from the night market. It's also super reasonable as the big portion cost me only RM3.50. I love the fact they did not skimp on the vegetables unlike the other night market stalls. Not sure if they also open shop at the other night markets but if you are in the area, do visit them as their laksa is really good.



When I was wandering at the night market which is tiny, just one row of stalls along Jalan SS4C/5, I spied two satay stalls. One had just started their fire but another had gotten his satay ready hence I decided to supplement my dinner with a selection of beef and chicken satay. Usually the satay you get from the night markets can be pretty forgettable but I was pleasantly surprised when I ate them and they were excellent. They were perfectly cooked and tender. The peanut sauce that accompanied it was not spicy enough though but extremely thick with peanuts. Excellent stuff which I must try again another day to see if the quality of this stall can be maintained.

Jalan SS4C/5 Pasar Malam
The assam laksa van is parked at the end of the road, opposite Ying Siong hardware. Beware that there is another assam laksa van on top of the road called Cheow Yang assam laksa. The satay stall is nearer to the assam laksa stall (not the one near the junction).

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.


Tagged with: + +

9 comments:

viewtru said...

The same laksa stall is in the SEA park pasar malam on Sundays and in the SS3 pasar malam on Tuesdays. They are ususlly sold out by 8:30 p.m. I've tried a lot of good places, and I still think that this stall makes the best assam laksa in town.

boo_licious said...

viewtru - Thanks for the tip. I'm slowly trying out the assam laksas at the night markets so not much experience. I really love the taste of this one. Much better than the ss2 and cheow yang night market ones.

Flower said...

Asam laksa is my favourite of all favourite food since I was young. But unfortunately up till now I still havent found the shop to eat it here in Perth.

earl-ku said...

if you dont mind the clealiness of an eatery - try the one in Petaling St, the one a lil down after the middle of Petaling St, the one on the right if you are coming from Kota Raya

boo_licious said...

flower - I think you may have to make your own in Perth.

earl-ku - really? Is it inside the market? Wouldn't mind trying it.

**GurLiNteRrupTeD** said...

Dang!! I LOVE assam laksa and am salivating at the picture. I can't get any here in Wellington. Argghh!

boo_licious said...

raphsgurl - oh, you poor thing! No Msian shops? I guess you may have to make them yourself.

Jan Æ said...

Oh, no! Assam Laksa is my wife's favourite. Unfortunately I don't share the same passion because of the smell. A whif of it is ok, but not right in front of my face! Those who frequent MidValley Megamall would know there's one eatery in Jusco Household dept that sells Assam Laksa. Long queues most of the time. My wife says it is good.

Callie O said...

Just feel like eating assam laksa and I click to search for one and saw your pic there. Very mouth-watering. How I wish some outlets cater for home-delivery services like Mc Donald or Pizza Hut. Well, you can find nice and delicious one at Lim Coffee Shop, formerly known as Cheow Yang Kopitim at SS2. Another nice one is at Aman Suria, Explanade Cafe at RM5 per bowl. Hmmm Yum... yum..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...