Wednesday, June 08, 2005

QuIcKiE FooD

Some days, depending on my mood, all I want is a quick one bowl meal. A bowl of hot noodles always seem to satisfy my hunger pangs and is ultimate fast food for me.

I tend to stock up various noodles and pasta in my larder (shows how indecisive I am as I have a lot!) - linguini, penne, macaroni, beehoon (Malaysian for vermicelli), instant udon noodles, instant noodles (favourite is Indomie Goreng), buckwheat noodles and dry thai kuay teow noodles. I love these dry thai kuay teow noodles which I keep to make pad thai (thai fried noodles) or soup noodles. They are so simple to cook, just boil some hot water and pour it over the dry noodles and cover for about ten minutes. Rinse under cold water and ta-da, you can have kuey teow noodles.

Like I mentioned before, I always have some fried ikan bilis (Malay for anchovies) courtesy of my auntie so making a soup base is quite fast, just pour in boiling water to the ikan bilis and simmer the stock for a while to the flavours develop. Once you got your soup and noodles, all you need to add is the vegetables and your fish. You can opt for meat also but since I had fish fillets in the freezer, I grilled them using Nigel Slater's recipe from Real Cooking.

Grilled Fish
3 tbsps dark soya sauce
2 tbsps sake
2 tbsps mirin
A clove of garlic, crushed
1 tsp sugar

Mix ingredients in a shallow bowl and marinate fish fillets (about 200g) in mixture for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from marinade and grill fish fillets until cooked. Top noodles and blanch kailan in soup and serve.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...