Monday, December 10, 2007

Sinful Char Siu @ Soo Kee, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur



Sigh! What a weekend I had. Anyway, I'm not a person to dwell on the past so let's look forward to the week. I reckon the best way to start off a week is with something really sinful and this definitely is a winner in that category - Soo Kee Char Siu. Although this place is not opened tomorrow but I guess you can all plan for this for lunch on Tuesday since it is a public holiday in Selangor.

This was a new discovery for me even though this place has been around for almost nineteen years. Located just off Jalan Ampang, the shop's frontage is limited with the flyover right next to it. To keep off the dust from the busy highway, the place is air-conditioned with glass sliding doors. You can see all the delectable char siu from the front of the shop where they hang all the barbequed meats - roast pork, roast duck, chicken and etc.

Although the char siu here is a bit fatter than what I normally prefer, I really liked the sticky caramelised outer layer. However, be warned that the char siu here isn't cheap as a small portion can cost approximately RM10. Aside from the barbequed meats, they also serve cooked dishes like vegetables and steamed fish which they are also famous for. I quite like their daily soup which goes well with the char siu and white rice.

Soo Kee Restaurant
No. 373-1
4th Mile
Jalan Ampang
Kuala Lumpur

(Non Halal. Open from noon to 9pm and closed on Monday. The restaurant is facing Jalan Ampang and right in front of the row of shophouses where Ma Maison, Ampang Grocer and La Risata is. Park around that area and walk towards this place as there is no frontage for you to park your car at.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with: +

19 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

omg..whats with everyone and char siu!?? i just heard about wmw adventures in sunway mas onli..sigh..i need char siu

Precious Pea said...

WOW...it looks like 1/6 meat and 5/6 pure fats!! BUT I LIKE!!!

Unknown said...

u have just brought out the charsiu- ness in me..im hungry

Jason said...

Char siu overdose last week. :P
Shall KIV this one.

goosmurf said...

Oh man! I was born in KL but grew up in Sydney. We don't get good Char Siu over here - only the Hong Kong sweet style :/

Jealous I am.

ling239 said...

hmm... can request for less fats ones ? =.="

wmw said...

Wah, looks "too rich" even for my standards! Hahaha...

mycookinghut said...

this is my favourite!!! Makes me really hungry now!

TechSmacker said...

I like char siew only when it's really oily and fatty, I dunno if you know this but the stall at the end of petaling Street (one of the four ends anyway, I'm sorry I cant be more specific than this) has very good fatty oily char siu. I hate the dry tasteless tuff that usually comes on top of wan than mee.

daphne said...

i can see the layer of fat! but the chargrilled look is so sexy.. *sigh*

sungimann said...

Soo Kee is definitely one of the best, if not the best in town for Char Siew.

JOjo said...

Hi Boo_licious, I love your Blog and i've linked u up here http://jojo185.blogs.friendster.com/joannas_life/ Hope you can link me up too!

cookies_cream said...

OMG!!! the char siew is sooo rich! And I soooooo wanna eat the char siew right NOW~

boo_licious said...

Joe - Char Siu makes the world go round....

Precious Pea - yeah, I guess half fat and half meat in their terms is lotsa fat.

Kampungboycitygal - life always looks a bit brighter after some yummy char siu!

Jason - hahaha, u went Sunway Mas?

Goosmurf - aiks, HK version shld be good also?

ling239 - I think can, just guess that day it was extra fat!

wmw - yeah, it was very rich that day!

lemongrass - hee hee, now we know what is yr fav.

gourmand - sounds like very fine char siu. Do tell and we can visit it one day.

daphne - I love the chargrilled bits, sweet and so sticky!

sungimann - yeah, going strong for 19 yrs

Jojo - thxs for linking me!

cher - hahaha, time to explore Cheras char siu?

Jackson - I had to settle for Meng Kee on Monday - not as great as this one.

Nick Chan said...

I loves Char Siu a lot, but it's not easy to find good char siu here in Penang.

a yummy mummy handbook said...

looking at your blog make drool of hungry.....i miss malaysian food...damn i wish that char siu was halal....keep up the good blog and post more food photo so i can gocrazy over here....:d

Sugar Bean said...

The gingerbread house and christmas tree looks fantastic. Would wanna visit Bangsar for its christmas decorations!

boo_licious said...

nicholas chan - sigh, guess u can't have everything. Never mind, eat lots of CKT which is super yummy there.

hiya yummy mummy, continue drooling!

wenching and esiong - loads of places have great decos now. Go look at Mid Valley. No time to go yet though.

liverpool1965 said...

very tempting to take a bus ride from Singapore to try that char siew!

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...