Friday, December 21, 2007

Char Kuey Teow and Nasi Lemak FAM @ Restoran Jamal Mohamed, Kelana Jaya, Petaling Jaya


The famous char kuey teow


There has been a lot of write up with regards to this famous Char Kuey Teow. A recent one at the NST prompted me to go search for it and I discovered all the stalls, which were at Restoran Subang Ria has shifted to Restoran Jamal Mohamed, the corner shop right at the other end. Rumours are flitting the reason why they moved is because the owner wanted to open his own stores. I guess you can't fool the locals as this place is now packed while the other restaurant is basically "catching flies".


Nasi Lemak stall

Being a first timer, I was skeptical when the plate of char kuey teow arrived on my table. It looked pale and a bit unappetizing. A bite of a strand of the fried flat noodles and I went WOW! Looks are definitely deceiving as it had lots of wok hei aka breath of the wok and most importantly, it tasted good. It doesn't look much but it definitely packs a punch.


Nasi Lemak Kukus FAM

My next visit to this restaurant during the weekend, I saw lots of people having this nasi lemak hence I ordered it. I can understand why it was so popular - the steamed coconut rice was fragrant and came in fluffy seperate grains. A selection of items are available as accompaniements to your basic nasi lemak - chicken rendang, sambal kerang (like mine above), sambal sotong, paru and etc. You have a choice between half a hard boiled egg or fried egg. I really liked the kangkung - water spinach since I am not a fan of cucumbers.

Although the food is pretty good overall, I felt the sambal didn't have the spicy kick. However, it is perfect for those with milder taste buds. Give a try during the morning, I kinda prefer this to Nasi Lemak Cikgu in terms of sambal and the rice. However, Nasi Lemak Cikgu does have one plus point - their yummy fried chicken, which they are uber famous for.

Restoran Jamal Mohamed
24, Jalan SS5A/9
Kelana Jaya

(Halal. The restaurant is just behind FAM hence the reference to the football field and etc.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+ +

20 comments:

Precious Pea said...

Hahaha...when I saw the pic of the CKT, i got a bit turned off. But like you said, don't judge a book by its cover hor?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

really does look very pale..maybe no dark soya sauce used isit..but the kerang says it all, its still authentic..

HairyBerry said...

love that sambal kerang...and yes, i also prefer kangkung. a rather old-skool type of nasi lemak..gosh, i miss that!

yammylicious said...

char kuey teow!! =) Sedap! slurp*

Simon Seow said...

There's also one Malay CKT very nice in the food court in my office building (HP Tower). You'll see the sign leading to the stall once you walk into the entrance. It's stall B3, if i'm not mistaken. Really like authentic Penang CKT except this one is Halal. The have gow choy,taugeh, egg and kerang.

daphne said...

hmm.. I'm also surprised by the light colour of the Char Kuey Teow but hey... if it tastes good with "fire" that's my kind of kuey teow!

sbd18 said...

don't fancy the CKT from there...its ok i guess but nothing special...

the nasi lemak however is my fav! was gonna do a write up but haven't gotten around to it...sad tht they moved cos the nescafe ice at subang ria is really yummy...but at the end of the day we follow the food right...;)

Unknown said...

thanks for the info boo! yeah it does not look good but still look can be deceivng

Unknown said...

That Char Kuey Teow looks good to me! Did it have that smoky wok oil flavor to it? I love that! Happy New Year, and I look forward to reading 2008 Masak-Masak blog entries!

teckiee said...

hmm i just wanted to say what the rest was saying. the CKT dont look good. but i think have to try it to really know. at least it looks dry, like how my like my CKT.

boo_licious said...

precious pea - yeah, I was like, hmmm doesn't make a good pix but one taste of it, I knew I was wrong.

Joe - guess our brains are tuned to black versions only.

nic - feels healthier with kangkung I reckon.

yammylicious - hee hee, great fan of CKT!

simon - been ages since I ate at that food court. Must revisit that place one day.

sbd18 - well, I guess they have their reasons. The mamak's drinks ain't fab but at least the stalls are near their old place.

kampungboycitygal - yeah, I heard how famous it was and was surprised to see it so pale too. Taste is very good.

jackson - hee hee. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

lannae - Happy New Year to you too!

teckiee - dig into the pile and the smell comes up and you may just be a convert.

daphne - it is the lack of black soy sauce hence the pale look.

wmw said...

This was a fave order of mine but have not eaten this for ages! Have forgotten how to go there...

Anonymous said...

the reason why the guy asked those several stalls to leave coz he's been calculating his losses over the years, and he feels like these few stalls that he had 'banished' have been 'stealing' him of his money and customers coz they're just so darn popular!

i also heard that he also wanted to sue the stall owners after that, and get this, the customers themselves... LOL!

and the char kuey teow really is good... the best in KL. imagine the lady got so rich from her char kuay tiao that she managed to send 3 of her kids to the U.S...

Arjuna's said...

Err..dunno about u guys but my friend and I didn't leave satisfied.

My review here

minniegil said...

the CKT look pale bcoz it's without chili..i had try it b4..really NICE!!Those who are CKT fans had try it must b loving it..

Nina Saad said...

Base on what you said the char kuey teow is halal? It's just a stall sharing the same premises as the halal mamak Restoran Jamal. There is no Jakim acreditation to say it's halal. I went there base on your statement..was very dissapointed with your claim of halal!!!!

puanolive said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
puanolive said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
puanolive said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rahsia Melancong said...

The delicious char kuey teow and nasi lemak pictures was removed.

Top 55 Blog Travel Malaysia 2017.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...