Monday, December 31, 2007

Revisiting Kampachi @ Pavilion, Kuala Lumpur


Soft KaniMaki (RM36++)

We had lots of fun last Friday - another Floggers get-together. This time, it was a big big party for Christmas at My Elephant by Doodee at Section 17, Petaling Jaya. I was late hence by the time I got there, all I had was bits and pieces of food served. I didn't get to mingle much too (very sorry people!) as I was sitting at the non food blogger's table plus when I started mingling, I realised I kinda lost my voice with all the shouting I had to do to be heard. Sigh! Apologies to those who were there, whom I didn't meet. Special thanks to
Lyrical Lemongrass, Precious Pea and WMW who organised the coolest party ever. Do visit their blogs for the blow by blow accounts.


Ishikari Soba (RM25++)

Back to food glorious food. When it comes to Japanese food, if I don't get my regular dose, I get withdrawal symptoms. Hence I was ecstatic, when I finally did get to eat some, even though it was revisiting Kampachi.


Rainbow Maki (RM32++) - Side View

I got a bit too over enthusiastic, when it came to ordering, hence the huge spread of food for just two of us. Since I didn't get to try their soba in my
first visit, it was a must-have this visit. Thumbs up to the handmade soba noodles. Made daily at Kampachi from buckwheat flour, these noodles were so good, I could just sit and slurp bowls and bowls of it. Unlike the soba noodles we get in packets, fresh ones are softer. These noodles in Kampachi are not round but have a squarish look to them probably due to the cutter they use. The broth served with the noodles was very good too - sweet and tasty. The Ishikari Soba, I ordered was served with pieces of salmon, wakame (seaweed), spinach, two pieces of pink and white kamaboko (fishcake), chinese cabbage, shredded spring onions and two cherry tomatoes. If you fall in love with the soba noodles, they even sell them by the packet(RM26) to take home.


Rainbow Maki (RM32++) - Top View


We went a bit maki crazy. First, it was the soft shell crab maki (soft kani maki). Thumbs up to the super crunchy soft shell crab they used in the roll. Usually, the makis I have tried, the deep fried soft shell crab is soft, when served. At Kampachi, their version does not soften as they don't use so much mayonnaise in the maki. However, as a compromise to crunchy crab, the maki tends to be quite dry. I also ordered the Rainbow Maki, their recommended maki. It came topped with avocado, salmon and tuna slices. Unfortunately, they didn't get this one right - avocado slices were not ripe enough hence no buttery taste. Sigh!


Kinoko Butter Shoyu (RM18++)

Last but not least, I had a special order of pan fried mushrooms. I love this mix of mushrooms (enoki, shitake and honshimeji) fried with butter and soy sauce. Add a dash of shichimi (Japanese chili pepper), if you like a bit of kick to the dish.

Definitely not my last visit to Kampachi as I want to try the other soba items. I reckon the next one I should try is the cold version, so stay tuned...

Kampachi
Lot 6.09.00, Level 6
Pavilion
Jalan Bukit Bintang
Kuala Lumpur

Tel No: 03 - 2148 9608

(Pork Free)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+ +

Other reviews:

10 comments:

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

That's a lot of food for 2 people, but hey, if I were with you, I'd probably order the same amount! Okay, January JFKA meeting at Kampachi. Woohoo!

boo_licious said...

Lemongrass - needless to say I was full to the brim that day. Hee hee, we shld do Kampachi as I want to try more soba varieties.

Julian Si said...

Happy New Year :-) may the spirit of Flogging, Blogging and eating be ever more so in 2008!

Cheers :-)

ps - Boo_licious, do you shoot with an SLR? The kampachi pix are outstanding ... as always!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i find the soba here with more bite and chewy as well..do they even sell it?? i want to buy some!

HairyBerry said...

too bad the avocado was unripe...the buttery taste would have really given the maki a smoother texture. will try out the soba (cold) when i'm there...yeah, hope to chat with our "most idolised" flogger in the next gathering..hehe...

yammylicious said...

mmmm the rainibow maki roll look great! love it! happies new year to u masak masak! =)

LianneK said...

I did not get the chance to try out the handmade soba, it looked great judging by the steady skill of the chef making it at the clear window. Would try soon!

ling239 said...

the rainbow maki!! so deliciously colorful... ^_^ must remember this for my next trip ~

boo_licious said...

Jackson - once in a while, can or else pokai eat here all the time.

Julian - Happy New Year to you too! No DSLR as no monies, this is just a normal point and shoot camera.

Joe - yeah they sell by packets. Take some home and cook it. Am sure it will be good stuff.

Nic - sorry, work got me so late and by the time I arrived, party was really swinging. Happy New Year to you.

Happy New Year Yammylicious!

Imbi and Itchy - soba noodles has my thumbs up. Go give it a try!

ling239 - make sure avocado is ripe or else dissapointing.

Julian Si said...

I just visited the new Kampachi too :-)

http://juliansi.blogspot.com/2008/02/kampachi-pavilion-kl.html

Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...