Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Bao Bao Pan Mee @ Aman Suria, Petaling Jaya



Continuing on the pan mee trail again. This time round, I got to try the famous Bao Bao pan mee. An established name in town, they have branches in Puchong and Pandan Indah. The set up within the shop is simple - square wooden tables and chairs, with an open cooking space at the end of it.



You can order a variety of noodles - thin, thick or even hand pinched. What makes their pan mee unique vs the rest of the others - a generous sprinkling of these fried crunchy items. These crunchy bits are actually shredded stuffed bean curd skin with fish paste.



A must for pan mee lovers - chilies! They go all out to please those who love their sauces - a platter of 4 types is given to you with your order of pan mee. Take your pick from red and green chilies mixed with a tamarind and calamansi lime juice, sambal belacan, chopped bird eye chilies and etc. Soy sauce is also available. If you love their sauces, they also sell them in a bottle at the cashier counter.

I quite enjoyed the crunch of the shredded bean curd skin but didn't think much of the taste, probably because there wasn't any! The texture of the pan mee is good - al dente, just like how I like it. What I really hated was the dry thin and "red colouring" char siu slices, they topped the dry pan mee.

Overall, not a bad experience but wouldn't say a fantastic one either. This is definitely a place I will go eat if I have no choice but if I had to drive all the way to eat pan mee, it would still be places like Kin Kin or Taman Sri Sentosa.

Bao Bao Pan Mee
Aman Suria
Petaling Jaya

(Non Halal. Located further down Kayu Nasi Kandar. To get here, take the left turn just before the Kayu Ara toll plaza, go down the road (you will see Merchant Square on your right) and take a right hand turn at T junction. Go straight and you will come to a not working traffic light, take a left and drive down. You will pass by Wong Poh Crab, then reach a new area of shop houses. This is where Kayu is, drive down and Bao Bao is on the left hand side, almost towards the end of these shop houses and just before Dataran Prima condos.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+

Other reviews:

9 comments:

Precious Pea said...

Do they have the soupy version? I don't like the char siu too...so fake looking. But the chili look syiok! Sigh..now i miss the one in Taman Sri Sentosa.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

omg..yes the char siu looks so red!! but then again, we had too much good char siew..

yammylicious said...

hand made pan meeeeeeeeeee~ i heart dried pan mee..crayon char siew.. hahax too much of colouring ya?

daphne said...

oh! the addition of char siew is a nice touch. I'm also glad to read that those fried stuff r bean curd skin stuffed with fish paste rather than lard!

ling239 said...

i know where this is !
is the prices reasonable ?

teckiee said...

ohhh interesting. at first glance the fried crunchy stuff looked like fried shallots... i wonder if its meat wrapped with foo choke.

Jason Lioh said...

Ooo... No wonder I have so many incoming links from your blog out of nowhere. Hehe! Thanks for the link!

I do find the pan mee a little too tough to chew though. Its the chilies that give the flavour to the pan mee, else its a pretty average one.

firethorn said...

i love pan mee! i always frequent the shop in Pandan Indah, because it's near to my house. Those crunchy stuff are actually fried fu choks. You can even order the crunchy add ons! Personally, I feel that the soup is abit too sweet for me, and I guess they put alot of ajinomoto, I always feel very thirsty after eating from the shop.

I also heard there's one stall in Miharja (Cheras) selling pan mee. I haven't tried that though.

If you are around Pdn Indah area, do try the Hakka Mee too. It's just a few shops away from the Pan Mee shop.

Petite Lass said...

Thanks for sharing! =D
There's a Pan Mee stall near my working place which tastes absolutely delicious. The hand-pinched one with soup is better. The soup looks clear and it really gives you the home-made feel as I believe the lady boss adds minimum ajinomoto. I don't feel thirsty even if I drank more than half a bowl of the soup. Unfortunately, I am not sure what's the address. I just know how to go there hehe as I would go to that area everyday for lunch. It's in Glenmarie, Seksyen U1. Will try to get the address ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...