Thursday, January 22, 2009

The 1st Annual Foodsters' Awards by friedchillies


borrowed from the friedchillies site

Calling all food bloggers, foodies and whoever who loves food or just want to express an opinion about food, now you have an avenue to shout out loud what are your preferences. The friedchillies team just launched (for the first time ever), the annual foodsters awards that consists of 20 categories. Out of these categories, 5 are based on nominations from all of you. These 5 categories are:

1. Best Nasi Lemak
2. Best Char Kuey Teow
3. Best Banana Leaf Rice
4. Best Street Burger Stall
5. Best Kopitiam

Kinda hard to limit yourself to one, but I guess the one that you believe should get the award must have really out of the world food. Submit your nominations to
afa@friedchillies.com by 10 February, 2009. Once the list is compiled, the fried chillies team will put up the nominations for voting. For further details and updates, check fried chillies' site. There's no monetary rewards for all this but imagine the utmost satisfaction you will get when your nominee gets picked for the award.

should this be my choice - Nasi Lemak R.A with its fluffy coconut aroma rice

For me, I reckon I have a dilemma trying to narrow down my choices. For nasi lemak, should it be my top three favourite stalls:
Nasi Lemak Tanglin, Nasi Lemak R.A. or Nasi Lemak Mak Wanjor??? I love the variety of stuff I get from Nasi Lemak Tanglin especially the sambal sotong, but the aromatic and fluffy rice at Nasi Lemak R.A wins me over all the time, plus they also serve this wickedly good and chewy paru aka cow's lungs. Then there is Nasi Lemak Mak Wanjor, which has equally good rice. Then there is the packet nasi lemak with loads of stuff to choose from Nasi Lemak CT Garden. Even though the rice can get a little soggy, I call it the perfect place to take out of town friends as you get a view to die for - the lit up Petronas Twin Towers. That is just the Malay nasi lemak stalls, what about the Chinese ones with special dishes like wild boar rendang. Now the category does not say street food, so it could even be the premium pandan green tinged basmati rice version served at House & Co, Bangsar. Gosh the list is endless......

Lorong Selamat Char Kuey Teow - okay the portion is super teeny weeny but the taste is definitely there but somehow it can't beat that one I ate for years at Damansara Heights

Luckily char kuey teow is an easier choice, totally based on personal biasness as I have eaten at that stall for almost 10 plus years; my regular lunch stop long ago at Seng Lee, Damansara Heights. Close favourites include the man at PJ Old Town, the Lorong Selamat one in USJ and the aromatic one at Wisma FAM, Kelana Jaya. They may not be up to standard to the ones at Penang but since this award is limited to Klang Valley, it will have to do.




Banana leaf rice is next and this is also a tough one. Zooming in on the Petaling Jaya area, it is a toss between
Kanna at Section 17 (the original one okay!), Acha's at Section 5 where I am partial to the fried bittergourd and onion curry or should it be Vishal's at Brickfields - land of great Indian food.

excuse the picture okay, taken way before the DSLR days but believe this is a damn tasty burger

I reckon the easiest is the street food burger stall as it goes to Rasta's! Not sure if it qualifies for street food since it is housed in a food court but it ain't restaurant food so it should be able to make it. Note that Rasta has shifted from this premises ever since I blogged about it. They are now nearer to the Sg Penchala exit from Penchala Link.

tender chicken chop from Sin Seng Nam gets my vote

And the last category is also an easy one (I think) - a toss between Yut Kee and Sin Seng Nam, 2 of my favourite Hainanese kopitiams. I love Yut Kee for its roti babi and Sin Seng Nam for its chicken chop.

I am curious also on what you all think is the best of the best, so do leave word on what I may have missed out. To be honest there is so much good food out there, it is so hard to remember. In the meanwhile, let me drool over my old posts and start planning revisits to these places as soon as possible to savour all that yummy food.

16 comments:

Tummythoz said...

Haha. Sounds like you'll be busy for awhile with so much on your mind.

minchow said...

Gosh, just your post alone is going to keep me busy hunting for all the recos for a while...that CKT picture is dee-vine!

Julian Si said...

Drooooooooooool! Quite the list, and I realised I had not tried some of your fave places!! The CHICKEN CHOP, I so agree :-)

That reminds me, my FoOTY (Food of the Year) 2008 needs a write-up ... hmm, this weekend perhaps!

Remember my 2007 countdown? :-)
http://juliansi.blogspot.com/2007/12/food-of-year-awards-2007.html

== Gong Hey Fatt Choy!! ==

FooDcrazEE said...

all that you have nominated is good . . . . .then I tak yah nak nominate loh. . .

Hehehehe! Happy New Year Girl

Cheers !

sc said...

this is hard..my head aches thinking is which is the best..tough one

teckiee said...

even without the DLSR..that burger looks good...fat!

Happy Chinese New Year!

Rasa Malaysia said...

Hey Boo, Happy CNY! :)

Jun said...

happy cny boo!!

HairyBerry said...

was talking about this ckt place u blogged about yesterday and hope to taste it asap. together with that fried asam laksa!

happy lunar new year, boo!

CRIZ LAI said...

Sounds interesting. Will look into this after my hectic days in the kitchen for the CNY.. haha.

Happy "Niu" Year to you and all in the family. May this year be a healthy, wealthy and prosperous year for everyone. :)

http://crizfood.com/

backStreetGluttons said...

The very best are the ones our GFs like so its quite easy actually

Happy New Year !

worldwindows said...

Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family.

Babe_KL said...

May the year of Ox bring you all the happiness, good fortune, health and prosperity you wish for.

boo_licious said...

tummythoz - LOL, but some of these places not open this week though.

good luck in eating them all, 550ml jar of faith.

Jules - cool abt the chicken chop.

Happy New Year Foodcrazee and your expanding family.

LOL sc, better just eat and decide?

teckiee - that burger is sooo incredibly good.

Rasa Msia - Happy New Year. Sorry to hear abt your dad.

Gong Xi Fa Cai Jun!

Nic - oooh, fried asam laksa and fried CKT sounds like a sinful but very good combo. Happy CNY!

Happy CNY Criz! Don't get so busy at your kitchen.

Ah, you are so rite BSG. Happy Niu Year!

worldwindows - Gong Xi Fa Cai!

thxs MISA

Happy CNY Babe and family esp that cute boi boi of yours.

Flower said...

Hi Boo
Happy new year (a bit late, hehehe) and Gong Xi Fa Chai to you.

You know what, my old classmate's Suzana Shukor's , (we're from MGSKL) grandma was the 'Tanglin Nasi lemak'. I remember her rendang coz the meat was very tender and her sambal sotong was really yummy and it does look like your picture. I used to get a 'makan free' from her grandma coz her granddaughter was my best mate. She used have her nasi lemak business in a small kopitiam shop at the end of Jln Young. It was way back in the early 80's. Wow that was really long time ago....

Tailim said...

Hi, please try this nasi lemak next to the new Jusco @ AU Setiawangsa. See here http://tailim.blogspot.com/2008/02/morning-nasi-lemak-au2-keramat.html for brief detail. Cheers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...