Thursday, September 07, 2006

Char Kuey Teow @ Seng Lee Coffeeshop, KL



I'm partial to this char kuey teow stall which I have been patronising for a long time. Although it may not be the best in town (some say), it always brings back memories for me. I can still remember the old days when his assistant was this short and hunched back man who you must place your order with. Now, it's his wife that helps him take orders and deliver the plates of char kuey teow while he fries it up. Usually it's advisable to eat this non peak times as during busy times, the standard drops me a bit as he is rushing to finish frying the noodles.

Besides this char kuey teow stall, Seng Lee also has two sisters running the wantan noodles stall which serves yummy curry laksa. I love their Chinese New Year cookies which I will buy to celebrate the festive season. Then there is also a pork noodles stall which is run by the people who also serve the drinks. That particular stall has gone through a few changes: there was previously another guy who served pork noodles who decided it was too hectic so he switched to frying cantonese noodles at the corner coffeeshop. You must also try the yummy rojak which we used to eat while waiting for our char kuey teow to arrive.

As coffeeshops are super rare in Damansara Heights, these two shops are always packed. Even though there's a new shop in the row, people still prefer these established coffeeshops. The corner coffeeshop is also pretty good with their roast duck noodles (the family who used to run it was originally from the corner stall which faces Central Market - it's now the McDonalds), pan meen and roasted meats.

Seng Lee Coffeeshop
Shophouses near Jalan Batai
The row behind Hock Lee's and Klimts

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+

15 comments:

Unknown said...

used to eat there when i was working in that area. damn hot place and u smell of CKT after that

Sam said...

How do you find the rojak buah sold just outside Seng Lee? BTW, a new outlet of Salero Negori just opened in Sri Hartamas... waiting to read your review...if you are going to! Your Natrabu review was brillant.

boo_licious said...

jackson - this kinda food is more nostalgia but no matter what I love the CKT here.

lanatir - u sit inside hence you smell. We always sit in the small tables placed outside.

sam - yeah, I know abt the new Salero Negori outlet but I found an even better Nasi Padang place recently. The tunjang is superb (big huge chunks!) and the ayam pop's kicap manis sauce is addictive. It's called Garuda - original outlet in Kg Baru and a new branch has opened in Pusat Bdr Dsara.

Sam said...

ooohhh! Am salivating even as I type! Thanks for the Garuda tip - Pusat Bdr D'sara is definitely more accessible than Kg Baru...

Fulltime Mom said...

Thanks for the heads up about Garuda. Will try to make it there before fasting starts.

boo_licious said...

Sam and Fulltime Mom - just heard kinda sad news. A friend went to Garuda in Pusat Bdr Dsara and said it's not great. So sad as the one in Kg Baru was really good.

Unknown said...

Lovely picture! I love stir fried noodles and other goodies mixed in! Your photos and blog are the closest I will get to char kuey teow. I would love to have a place like that where I live. In the USA, there are only a few cities (New York & San Francisco) that have food like what you are showing, and I do not live in a city offers such food. Please keep posting, so I can see what I am missing!!

boo_licious said...

lannae - poor dear! Don't worry, I have lots of yummy street food pictures but not today though. I can understd abt no Msian food places in small cities as I used to study in a very "ulu" place in England too.

boo_licious said...

Sam - realised I did not answer yr rojak buah q. For me, I like it as we always order lots of crispy items instead and ask for extra peanuts which he obliges since we are regulars.

GFAD said...

My favourite shop for CKT and rojak too! And coming from a person who is not a big fan of CKT!! And I like extra peanuts on my rojak as well. I usually go before 12 or after 2, so the noodle always come out good!

I also order CNY cookies from the WTM ladies. Their seaweed crisps is sooooo addictive!!

But their drinks suck..Milo/tea..always very diluted.

冰冰-ping said...

yo..i love char kuey teow..so much~~~~

Audrey Cooks said...

yea love the char koay teow there but very hot that coffeeshop! not air circulation. Wish he will fry his koay teow slightly darker. Yummy!

boo_licious said...

kat - wow! looks like this is a fav place for many.

donch know lah - no problems. Kitties say mewww!

ping - CKT if done well is addictive!

audrey - I don't really mind as if not so dark I guess it's healthier since less soya sauce.

fatboybakes said...

ooh, the fler catered all my kids full moon. (ie, the kueh teow man came to the house to fry...but i dont think he does it on a regular basis, just that like u, we've also virtually been weaned on his CKT. yar, love the wantan mee, and pork ball noodles there too.

umami said...

My parent's house is nearby so we practically grew up eating the CKT here. This is my favourite and I think it is the best in Kl, my mum even declares it is better than the ones she tried in Penang.

My husband is Singaporean, everytime we eat here he whacks at least two plates.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...