Monday, January 12, 2009

Pepper Pig Stomach Soup, Lai Mian and Dumplings @ Restaurant Hong Seng, Section 17, Petaling Jaya



delicious tasting lai mian with plump shui jiao (all for RM4)

To kick off this week, I thought it would be nice to highlight this great value-for-money stall at one of my favourite coffeeshops in Petaling Jaya. Located at the corner opposite CIMB Bank Berhad, Restaurant Hong Seng is a favourite stop over for my mother and I. We both absolutely love the
roast pork and the teochew duck porridge here. Even the curry laksa and yong tau foo is pretty good but I never seem to get round to blogging about it.

great value - 8 pieces of pan fried juicy dumplings for RM4.80

My mother was recently introduced to this stall by her friends, hence I decided to give it a try. Manned by a Mainland China woman, she sells lai mian, pepper pig stomach soup and dumplings (the boiled and pan fried versions). Communicating to her may be a little problem especially if you don't speak Mandarin like me, but I got by since she seems to understand my Cantonese. She also has photos of her dishes on her stall, so I reckon if there is a communication breakdown, just point to what you want.

not too impressive pepper pig stomach soup for RM4

For the pepper pig stomach soup (RM4), you can opt to have it plain or with noodles (a choice of her own made lai mian or kuey teow). While the soup does not qualify for greatness since it lacks the fire I like from loads of white pepper, it was still pretty decent tasting. The lady mixes the strips of pig's stomach with tofu puffs and chopped vegetables; giving a little variety to the soup.

What I really liked and totally enjoyed were her dumplings. She sells the boiled version (shui jiao), which you can order with the handpulled noodles. I got a bowl of noodles with 4 juicy and plump filled shui jiao for just RM4!! Definitely a steal, I reckon. For the pan fried version (wor tip), she sells 8 pieces for RM4.80 - another fantastic deal. Stuffed with minced pork and chopped chives, each dumpling is so juicy, you have to be extremely careful while eating them. Even though the noodles are nothing fantastic, the bowl of dumplings with the clear soup and chopped vegetables feel extremely healthy. Do give it a try, as I reckon this stall offers very good value-for-money food. While it lacks the detailed refineness of the restaurants, it still tastes pretty good since it has a homecooked feel to it (and lack of MSG!).

On another note, I've also noticed a couple more changes to the food and beverage scene. Silom, the Thai restaurant at Plaza Damansara seems to have closed down and there is a new cafe called Moxie (owned by the same people from Cava and Opus) at where Sandias used to be. Yo! Sushi at Pavilion KL, has closed for renovations. Not sure if the Midvalley outlet is also going through the same renovations. And, I noticed Marche now does not sport the Movenpick logo anymore plus they stopped serving Movenpick ice cream at their dessert counter replacing it with Nestle ice cream! Does this mean, they are no longer part of the Movenpick group? The website seems to mention Movenpick still but I wonder why they changed the ice cream brand used. Anymore changes you have noticed recently?

Pepper Pig Stomach Soup & Dumplings Stall
Restaurant Hong Seng
Along Jalan 17/29
Section 17
Petaling Jaya


(Non Halal. Stall seems to be opened from breakfast to lunchtime.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.


Tagged with: +

17 comments:

J2Kfm said...

yup, as original as possible. China woman cooking Chinese dishes. :)

heard that Serdang's pepper soup also good, is it?

worldwindows said...

Too bad the pepper soup pork stomach did not work out. I have my regular fix in Puchong. But the noodles and dumplings came out well!

eiling lim said...

Wow I am really craving for the pepper pig stomach soup. RM4 isn't exactly cheap but still better than I cook it myself. I think they called it pork tripe don't they?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

nestle ice cream? smells like cost cutting to me..

been hearing alot about this Moxie..hmm must go and try it out..

8 pieces for 4.80, a steal!

boo_licious said...

j2kfm - LOL, kinda true. Eaten the Seri Kembangan one but not the Serdang pepper soup. My fav soup is somewhere else, yet to blog abt.

worldwindows - lacks that peppery burning taste I absolutely love. Just stick to those gorgeously juicy dumplings and you should be fine.

eiling - I think tripe is that furry looking bit rite? dunno, me no nothing abt spare parts except to eat it. The soup is quite mild tasting, if you love the peppery type, there is a great one off Jln Ipoh.

Joe - yeah I updated the link to their website and more details abt the place. Looks interesting.

LOL! How can they do cost cutting, Movenpick is their own brand!! Terrible marketing, if that is so.

Anonymous said...

I've tried jia zhi made from China women here in Ipoh, taste great and authentic also. BTW, yesterday I passed by Yo! Sushi at MidValley, it was not closed for renovation.

boo_licious said...

Thxs for that tip SimpleGirl. Guess it is just the Pavilion outlet which is closed for renovations. Yup, these dumplings taste good and authentic.

Unknown said...

this kinda reminds me of O&S where almost everything there is nice :D

Unknown said...

Hi boo.......sorry for off-topic.

Just wondering if you or your commentors have visited Porto Romano recently and the food is still as good as it was a year back?

I've just gotten back from a yr in the UK and am planning to bring a very special girl there this thursday. :)

But then reading your excellent blog entry about food places that go bad after some time (!) makes me wonder if the divine lamb shank I know and love is still around.....

thule a.k.a leo said...

hmmm... my wife will surely love this... we tried the siew yoke after reading your blogs... it was awesome despite the fat layer (I had to separate it out from the lean meat sue to my high cholesterol level)...

boo_licious said...

Kampungboycitygal - most places in Section 17 are pretty good though; abundance of cheap and great tasting stuff there.

Lars - not been back to the TTDI outlet but I did hear good things from Nic of Black Tie White Lie abt their new branch, at Mont Kiara. Maybe you should go try there instead? From what I understd, the chef who was in TTDI is now there, so food shld be good here.

http://khkl.blogspot.com/2008/12/porto-romano-mont-kiara.html

thule - Ah, that is good you like the siu yoke. Yeah, not exactly good for the cholestrol though. Hope you like this better.

Unknown said...

wow... dumpling, my wife favourite, she will be happy to see this for sure.

hi, btw, I am trying to get hold of you by dropping a mail at your yahoo, I am wondering if it drop it to the spam/junk mail box, is there a way to get hold of you? Thanks.

michelleho said...

One of the nice "mix pork soup" I've tried is from a stall in a corner coffee shop near the Taman Sri Muda (Section 25 Shah Alam) wet market. It's yummers!

boo_licious said...

Jonathan - ah, got your email. Will reply soon.

Michelleho - cool, must go try. That shld be near the Spring Golden Char siew place.

rokh said...

wow so many hidden treasures here, must check it out!

boo_licious said...

hiya rachel, long time no see. Yeah, food here at Section 17 is generally good. Try any stall and you find it reasonable in taste and price.

P Diddy said...

Great stuff here. Thanks for the post.

Cabbage Soup Diet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...