Monday, January 19, 2009

Hakka Looi Cha @ Restoran Gembira, Taman Megah, Petaling Jaya


green comfort - nine types of vegetables, nuts and bean curd in one bowl

Let's kick start the week with something healthy.....a bowl of Hakka looi cha or thunder tea rice. I was around the Taman Megah vicinity last week for a very quick bout of shopping at the bake shops that pepper the area there. Since the
Mee Kolo/Sarawak Laksa stall at Restoran Gembira was closed, it was the next best thing - the one bowl meal of mixed vegetables, fried beancurd, peanuts and sesame seeds; drizzled with a bright green soup made from pounded herbs.


add the green herb soup for a complete meal


There is something so comforting about eating your meal with just a spoon especially since I tend to drown my rice with all the "green soup". Even though this place lacks variety in terms of vegetables given, it is still a very satisfying bowl of 9 kinds of items. My favourite bits are the crunchy peanuts and sesame seeds, that add texture to the dish. Yummy till the last spoonful.

While I may have found heaven with my meal, it is literally hell trying to find parking around here. It has gotten horrendous especially since they closed up the old marketplace area to build a proper building. Now the stalls are housed under temporary shelters that line the road facing Bake with Yen, La Manila and Fatty Crab.

Looi Cha Stall
Restoran Gembira
39, Jln SS24/8
Taman Megah
Petaling Jaya

(Pork free and vegetarian. Stall is opened for breakfast and lunch, closed on Sundays.)


*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

Tagged with: +

Other reviews:

17 comments:

Timothy said...

Well... I've never tried one myself but I reckon it'll be good....

Ciki said...

nice shots but eh.. don't be so healthy la.. :P:P

boo_licious said...

timothy - if you love veges, this will be good BUT do avoid if you hate anything green.

Morning Ciki. Very early of you. LOL, have to be healthy once in a while though.

jasmine said...

ooh i love luicha. will head for this place to try it. thanks for sharing :)

J2Kfm said...

i dont really like vege, but i like lui cha rice, for the crunchiness the nuts and condiments gave the bowl of mixed vege+rice. somemore healthy, peace of mind ...

worldwindows said...

Tried it once in Bandar Puteri Puchong and find it overwhelming. Have not dare gone back to it as yet! Maybe the next time.

Angie Tan said...

This stall has been around for about 10yrs... Yummy looi cha rice.

boo_licious said...

hope you enjoy it Jasmine.

j2kfm - hmmm, at least you eat looi cha. Some friends when they see green, they shudder and avoid this dish.

Awww, that is too bad worldwindows. It is actually quite tasty as some don't put the soup too bitter so it is bearable for beginners.

Angie Tan - wow, you must be a regular there since you know how long it has been around.

Calvin Kong said...

just across the Gembira is the mengtien food court.. inside, the luichar is also surprisingly good.. usually i don't expect good food from all these mega food center...

is a good start for beginner as this luichar at mengtien, is lesser on tea taste and more salty.. so ppl new to this dish won't get turn away trying this unique dish.. :)

rokh said...

and this is all vegetarian, seriously good when you just want more veggies! and they have the brown rice which i like

fatboybakes said...

aiyo, why has mee kolo closed ah? no wonder last few times i go no more liao. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. where else to get?

must try the lui char, love it.

minchow said...

Probably the best thing about Hakka food, I say! I just love how you probably get your entire week's quota of fibre in a singular tasty dish! Just eat this for one meal, and have bad food for the rest of the week, teehee!

boo_licious said...

Calvin - thxs for the tip. Dunno why I seldom eat at Ming Tien. Must change perception next time.

rokh - high 5! I love this too.

fbb - aiks, not closed down ah. Must remember to go ask the other stall owners what happened.

550ml - head down in shame...yeah now I am starting on my path of sin..

foodbin said...

just can't stomach it!

thule a.k.a leo said...

Still remember how my grandma used to make lui cha using her bare hands... there's a taste which I can't explain. Unlike those people who use machine to grind peanut these days.
That's right.. I'm a proud hakka chai... lol! Too bad my grandma is not around anymore :( everywhere I had lui cha.. it's still incomparable to my grandma's

Rarebeet said...

That is such a gorgeous picture! So robust and wholesome looking. I feel healthy just looking at it! I love lui cha. The broth here looks lovely and green. I've been to places where its so diluted. Tsk.

boo_licious said...

oh no foodbin. Guess your body rejects the all green look?

Leo - lucky you! I'm a hakka too but sadly no grandma to make this for me. Am sure hers is de best.

Paprika - yeah, nice and healthy stuff here. The other one which is pretty good is the super pricey Ecogreen one at TTDI.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...