Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bak Kut Teh @ Restoran Chuan Chiew, Subang Jaya


claypot goodness in a pot...a little sinful though

Let us counteract all that healthy food with a claypot full of sin a.k.a bak kut teh. I was craving for something soupy and filling since I had a very early dinner the night before. Original plan was Chao Zhao at SS18 but since it was closed, this was the next best thing.

You are spoiled for choice around this whole row of shophouses; there is Chuan Chiew, Yu Kee and further away Chao Zhao. All serve bak kut teh but Yu Kee and Chao Zhao has additional stuff. I seem to be fated to eat here as I got a carpark space next to the shop. Even though it may not be full when early, it starts to fill up as the clock strikes 1pm.

The taste of the bak kut teh is still not as superior as my all-time favourite
Teluk Pulai at Taman Rashna but quite decent. It probably does not make the mark for me, as I prefer my soup to be a little herbal. I went a little overboard with the "additions", asking for enoki mushrooms and intestines. Each normal claypot comes with your choice of meat, canned button mushrooms slices, Chinese mushrooms slices, tofu puffs, beancurd skin and iceberg lettuce. Another plus point about eating here - the shophouses open both sides hence you can walk in from either the front or the back, making it much easier.

Chuan Chiew Restoran
18, Jln SS14/2
Subang Jaya

Tel No: 03-56330629

(Non halal. Open 7.30am-11pm. Closed every Tuesday.)


*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.


Other reviews:

12 comments:

Janice SH Tan said...

hey..was wondering whether you have tried Ah Ping Bak Kut Teh? It's on the same row as those bak kut teh shops..blue signboard.
This one seems to have the most customers i think. i used to patronise ah ping and i think the bak kut teh there is good. but yeah, i guess none of them can beat the klang ones :)
oh yeah, i really enjoy reading your blog, all the pictures make me salivate and miss malaysia more! currently studying in the uk.
oh and i think we're facebook friends too :)

have a good week!

mycookinghut said...

This seems to be a very famous one! I used to stay at SS14 and tried it once.. absolutely delicious!

Ciki said...

so which was it.. sinfully good or

Goodness, how SINFUL?!

lol (i like mine full of stuff too)

Julian Si said...

Klang remains the BKT mecca... :-)

Allie said...

Luv your pics!

boo_licious said...

Janice, didn't see Ah Ping, must go look for it. That row has an abundance of BKT. Awww, I know that feeling abt missing Msian foods. Never mind, am sure you get to come back soon.

mycookinghut - yeah, this one is I think the longest BKT place. Has 2 shoplots also.

ciki - it was more like, goodness how sinful. I often find BKT a bit oily though, could be due to the fatty meat they use.

LOL Julian - I kinda agree with you. Nothing beats Teluk Pulai. Now, I feel like drinking some of that wonderful soup.

Hiya Allie, nice hearing from you and thxs for the nice compliment. Cheers me up this morning.

thule a.k.a leo said...

I don't know where you work.. but since u r in Subang area... perhaps you can venture further to Sri Setia.. there's a BKT restaurant somewhere behind Plaza Perabot LDP... called Ah Sang Bah Kut Teh.. normally it will finish by 2pm...
oppss.. maybe you had gone there already! lol!

boo_licious said...

that is so nice of you leo to recommend BKT places. Yes, ate at that place before also but sadly it is too far away for me.

Sugar said...

I was just about to suggest Ah Ping too and saw Janice suggesting the same. Maybe you can drop by the next time. Happy CNY :)

boo_licious said...

Happy CNY Su! Hmm, 2 people recommending Ah Ping, must go try when I return to work. Thxs.

shelz said...

hi.. i think Chuan Chiew is is good! I've been eating there for the last 7 years to the very least. Everyone there is friendly and in fact, i usually give them a call to pre order whenever i Tapau! :P My two cents :P

malaysia@portal4jp.com said...

hello I meke malaysia portal web site now.Your blog is wonderful!
I introduce your blog to japanese.
hahaha
http://malaysia.portal4jp.com/services/shopView/120

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...