Wednesday, January 07, 2009

I hate change...


wtf! happened to Weng Hing - that institution off Jalan Imbi???

I know it is the new year and we should be ringing in the changes but I personally hate it all. Call me old fashioned, but I wish in terms of food quality and restaurants, things remain status quo.

Maybe it is just because I have not been having a good start to the year - I accidentally dropped my purse on Monday afternoon, which meant I had to do a lot to get back all my documents. On hindsight now, I reckon it could have been a blessing in disguise, as when I went to the police station to do my report, this girl was also there reporting a snatch theft from the same bank I had planned to take out monies from!! Crime is pretty bad in town - for the past 2 days I have been hearing how people get snatched when they leave the bank (thieves target them as they were withdrawing large sums of monies) and how this woman from China pushes her victims at the SS2 morning market, to pick their bag....sigh! what is the world becoming.

Enough about me griping about all the hassles I have been going through and back to what is happening to food quality. Don't you hate places you like changing in terms of their quality? We ended up at Yellow Cab Pizza yesterday for lunch (since there was no parking at Kampung Baru) and it was a very dissapointing lunch. When they first opened, the crusts were thin and crisp. Now, the pizza crust has an uneven thickness - one side crisp and another side thick and filled with stodgy uncooked pizza crust. Definitely shows someone within the kitchen is not doing a proper job. Maybe the original person the master franchise people taught has left especially since I saw the manager frantically interviewing people outside. Anyway, they should really look into that before they lose more customers. Even Jasmine had this problem recently.

Then, on the way back I spied this from the car - Weng Hing, the red coloured institution off Jalan Imbi has changed its name to Win Heng Seng! I didn't stop by but I saw some renovations and repainting within, as the other stalls were closed. Yikes, I hope the pork noodles (sam kang cheong), char kuey teow and mini egg tarts, goreng pisang stalls will still be there. I still remember how the corner SS2 Lim Mee Yoke closed a while back due to gambling debts and all those stalls dissapeared. Will try and investigate this matter during the weekend, when I am free. If anyone knows what happens, pray tell.

All this got me thinking about how fast things change, hence I have added a time sensitive clause in my disclaimer. This was also triggered off by another comment by a person, who visited a place recently in Section 17. Food was horrible versus what it was almost a year ago. Nowadays, I reckon when places open in the beginning, food is always good and so is service. After a few months, they start slacking in terms of quality (you see them downgrading the brands they use and etc) especially since costs go up but they can't raise prices. I'll try and revisit places to see how it is. However, as it can take some time, if you do know quality has dropped or changed in a certain place, do alert me. Thanks and sorry for griping! It just has been 2 days of amazing coincidences....

25 comments:

J2Kfm said...

hey I passed by on Sunday, and it was still Weng Hing!

or I could be hallucinating.

jesscet said...

i know i shouldn't make fun of your griping and all but to me it's kinda `refreshing' to see such a post in your blog! hehe anyways.. hope things will be better and sorry to hear you lost your purse, but it wasn't that bad..

Julian Si said...

Hey... hang in there!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

ps - Also noticed my fave Imbi porky noodle place being closed on NY-day, I ended up going to the adjacent (yummy!) kai see hor fun place!

worldwindows said...

On the positive side, its blessings in disguise! It is difficult to maintain food quality with staff turnover and lack of training. Food business is a reverse of computer software. Ver. 1.0 is full of bugs, it will only get better with ver. 2.0 and as time goes by.

Precious Pea said...

The pork noodle at SS2 Lim Meeyoke moved to a coffee shop in Damansara Kim. My dad told me that when I went there couple of months ago. He might be right cos i saw him chatting with the guy from afar.

sc said...

oh shucks, hope things are better now for you! shoots, hope the pork noodles and mini egg tarts will return after the renovations..arrgghh!

jasmine said...

i was there a few days ago and lucky the stalls were still the same! wondered about the name change too though.

and oh btw, it was my guest blogger, lissie who wrote about the pizza place :)

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hope that pork ball place dont increase price again with the new year ahead!

boo_licious said...

j2kfm - I think they just started doing the signboard yesterday...

Jesscet - LOL. I call it a blessing in disguise since I need to go shop for a new one. Only problem is the sales are over now.

Julian - I'm fine. Just annoyed with blardy JPJ's inefficiencies. Hmmm, I guess they took a long break since they knew it was going for renovations?

worldwindows - sadly I don't see that happening i.e. the change is for the better like software upgrades. Initially they open, everything good, but then after less than a year, sure there will be a slide.

Precious Pea - ooooh, thxs for the tip. I also remember how Cheow Yang closed its doors becoz of gambling debts.

boo_licious said...

sc - thxs for thinking of me. I hope it is just a minor facelift only. Sniff if the noodles and egg tarts dissapear..

Jasmine - thxs for the tip. Was very dissapointed with Yellow Cab Pizza, quite sad since after 4 mths they have changed so much.

Joe - maybe since they have a new signboard, new mgt and etc???

Jason said...

I was there at Lim Mee Yoke last Saturday (I think it's the one you're referring to). It's opened and full of patrons. Hmm...

And I think we share the same fate too. I accidentally left my phone in the gym on Saturday and the person who picked it, apparently, off the phone. Luckily I still can get back most of the contacts.

HairyBerry said...

for me, the worst change is the taste. those days, we get such hearty, delicious hawker food at any hawker centre. and at only a fraction of the cost! many new stalls are so generic and boring now!

i would give up a year of foie gras to taste the great hokkien mee at the pekeliling flat back in the 80s...dunno mana they pergi already...

boo_licious said...

Jason - the ss2 one no more already (now there is a Hong Leong Bank Berhad there). Think the one you are referring to is the old Cheow Yang. Oh no! You poor thing. At least you got some contacts back, as that will devastating if you lost it all. I reckon it is more the hassles of getting stuff back vs the pain of losing it.

Nic - I know that feeling. I still miss those great tasting Hokkien Mee. My fav was the one at the old D&C bank next to the bus stop in middle of town. My uncle reckons, all those fellas who used to fry Hokkien Mee died already hence no good ones now.

Raynebow said...

Sorry to hear about your loss... certainly not a nice start to the year...but at least, you're OK! Yeah, it's not safe on the streets now...sigh, more so with CNY coming.

Tummythoz said...

Crime is very high indeed. Every week I hear people known to me get mugged or pickpocketed. M getting paranoid by the day. Glad u r ok.

May be passing that area later today. Will note the change & revert.

Unknown said...

argh i could understand your rants..i do feel the same..rmb how my mum got a 8 stitches on her forehead on the snatch theft incident 2 yr back? and i HATE deteriorating food quality as well - the Dselicious incidence at Marc Residences

Ciki said...

alamak.. sorry to hear boo.. lucky u r fine! regarding the food, we agree.. slacking off is no excuse in terms of quality of food. Hope 2009 picks up soon.. and in more ways than one!

wmw said...

Hope you've sorted things out. Here's to better and brighter tomorrows!

fatboybakes said...

oooh dear, this post is very un-you! haha, (i shouldnt laugh), but i've never seen you so "flustered" before.
i went to the weng hing a few weeks back, ....no changes wat. dunno when they changed the sign.

boo_licious said...

Happy New Year Raynebow! Yeah, I'm fine, guess it gives me an excuse to get new stuff?

Tummythoz - yeah, crime is really bad now. Ooh, thxs and let me know if Weng Hing just got a facelift or a total plastic reconstructive surgery or not.

cumi&ciki - food quality changes so fast. Just had a so so dim sum lunch when it was brilliant the other day. Wonder, if it was becoz the boss was around the last time!

wmw - Happy New Year! I'm fine, got my cards, driving license and IC sorted out. Luckily I am on leave these few days.

FBB - LOL! You make me sound like a freak!? No lah, just thot I share with my blog readers my frustations abt life mah. Change went up on Tuesday, that day when I passed by...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Sorry to hear about your lost purse. :-( Hope you're okay now. If not, feel free to call and gripe somemore. :-)

boo_licious said...

Thxs LL! Happy New Year, see you nxt week.

thule a.k.a leo said...

oh my god... my fav kopitiam in bukit bintang area is closed??? I always go there diligently at least once a month...
Pray the sam kan cheong stall will remain there...

boo_licious said...

thule - I think still open. I saw the tai chow place was open when I drove past the other day.

cyberK13 said...

the stalls at the old weng hing are still there .. thats good.

went by for lunch last saturday but forgot to ask y the name change. they did give the inside a lousy paint job.

had my favourite pork noodles (imo the best in kl & selangor) and was shocked .. 1 big bowl + egg is RM8 !! No doubt the broth was excellent and the liver & intestines were top notch but man .. its quite a 'growth' in these crunch times ...

now have to think twice about going there again ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...