Sunday, July 22, 2007

Roti Canai & Appam @ Chanai & Chaya Cafe, Taman Tun Dr Ismail Market, Kuala Lumpur



Breakfast time and how about something we all love - Roti Canai. We had this very late breakfast yesterday at the market. All I remembered from reading the Flavours food guide was it was on the first floor so being unfamiliar with the upstairs, we went around for a while. Finally found it at the last row. Amazing that there's so much food upstairs! I never knew as I usually just shop downstairs.



The place is self service so place your orders with the lady at the counter and go back to check when your food is ready. Help yourself with the platters, dhal, curry and sambals for your preferred breakfast choice. I had the roti canai biasa eaten plain like how I liked it. Very good stuff - reckon it passed the 2 out of the 3 step test which I read in yesterday's
Star Weekender - the pull of it was good (meaning no uncooked bits), the dhal was slightly watery but decent (hence it failed that step) but it passed the last flaky test. Best of all, for me as I usually eat roti canai with my fingers - it didn't leave any oily residue on my fingers. Splashie Boy had the Roti Planta which was also good and crispy - only problem was I forgot to tell them no sugar but he still polished it. I liked how the roti was crispy but not overladen with the oil oozing from the Planta margarine.

To share, we tried the Appam Manis - good stuff and reminds me of the defunct Manja which I used to eat long ago for this. Looks like this place is a great find so head upstairs to the first floor for a quick break when you do your marketing here.

Chanai & Chaya Cafe
Lot TD 61
First Floor
Taman Tun Dr Ismail Market
Kuala Lumpur

(Halal. Open from 6am to 3.30pm. Closed on Mondays. To get here, go up the escalators, turn left and walk straight down to the last row. Take a right and walk down the stalls and you will see the cheery sign of Chanai & Chaya Cafe. There's tables and chairs on the side just like a food court.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+ +

8 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hmmm wat a nice picture to look at early morning when you wake up..i think i need to get my fix tmmw morning for work hehe..

GFAD said...

Now that is one cool name! Chanai and Chaya! :D

GFAD said...

Forgot to ask you, any news on the 'discounted' microplane?? :D

If don't have, I will get it myself. Where can I find it? I am leaving the country early next month, I want to get it before then.

christopher wong said...

Hi, this is chris from dj club(MMU).Can i have your e-mail? I like to send an invitation for you to be interview at our radio station. Pls send me as soon as possible. Thanks...

Big Boys Oven said...

Sounds like we cqan do a good and cheap weekend breakfast after an expensive night out! :)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I love eating apam with sweet coconut milk drizzled all over it. It was easier for me to get it when my office was in Brickfields, but now, a bit susah. Taman Tun, eh? Maybe one of these days when i can wake up early, i'll have to pay a visit here.

~Christine~Leng said...

the appam looks nice. Crispy on the outside edge and the core's soft right? lovely :)

boo_licious said...

joe - yes, do get yr fix. Got mine so am happy for this weekend.

kat - they have a cute logo too. Haven't been to the shop yet. U can get it from Gourmandines or cuisine studio at tropicana. it's abt RM80 for one.

christopher wong - contact me at boo_liciouskl@yahoo.com

big boys oven - I think after an expensive meal, one should just sleep in to enjoy it all!

lemongrass - I love appam, it's like Indian comfort food for me. It always makes my day brighter after eating it.

Christine - yes, that's excellent stuff and not too overcrispy till it's hard outside.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...