Sunday, July 08, 2007

Matcha Poached Egg on Toast ala Eric Gower




Sometimes when I have time during the weekend, I love to cook leisurely brunches. Last week, since we managed to get all the errands done on Friday, we had a clear Sunday. I was eager to try out something I recently read in the bookshop - an idea from Eric Gower's latest cookbook, The Breakway Cook.

If you're a regular follower of the blog from day one, you should know I absolutely love Eric Gower's first book,
The Breakaway Kitchen. I made his Edamame Mint Pesto Pasta which got my two thumbs up! In his new book, he expands beyond Japanese ingredients to include Indian, Middle Eastern, Mexican and Chinese items. I've yet to get the cookbook as I'm limiting my cookbook purchases for now but once that is over, this is definitely something which I plan to add to my groaning bookshelf.

I had recently purchased Matcha Tea powder from the Taste of Japan fair and was eager to try out his
Matcha Poached Egg. It's not my first time making the Matcha Tea Salt as I had replicated something similar with seared scallops in an IMBB event. It was a breeze making the salt this time with the powder as it meant no grinding. Something I also noticed is the Matcha powder you buy from Japanese shops is a brighter green compared to the type you get in bake shops.

Although it's a simple recipe of combining the ingredients together, I was a bit scared to do poached eggs since it was my first time. Not wanting to do the whole hoopla with swirling water and vinegar to bind the egg white together, I used another method. It's from a cookbook called the New English Kitchen - Changing the Way you Shop, Cook and Eat by Rose Prince. The method calls for cracking an egg in clingfilm draped in an empty ramekin/ bowl. You then twist the top of the clingfilm to prevent water from entering and then it's cooked in a simmering water bath. It worked really well for me but of course you need to also be patient to wait for it to cook in the water bath. To keep to the whole Japanese tradition, I decided to use those yummy but sinful Gion bread from Kyoto. They're really great as toast since they're extra buttery. Since it's a huge loaf, we had bought one long ago which we keep in the deep freeze. As and when we feel like indulging, we slice a bit for toast.

So were the eggs good? They were excellent! Sprinkled with a generous amount of Matcha Salt, we both loved it so much that we had seconds. Give it a try and who knows you will be adding Matcha Salt to everything you eat.

Tagged with: +

17 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

We just had poached Egg on Toast minus matcha yesterday morning at ipoh white coffee. Yours looks so vibrant and colourful, next time we will bring some matcha salt with us when we do egg on toast. "Something Unique,Yet So Simple"

boo_licious said...

Ah, Ipoh White Coffee, I love the coffee there. Have a good Sunday.

jasmine said...

this looks totally scrumptious!

Cutie said...

Interesting way of making the poached eggs. I'm gonna try it the next time I poach eggs so that it will be less messy.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

hmm. i should try this. beats starving anytime. :-P

Anonymous said...

I love eggs.. (excluding the yolk)
I love green tea (matcha)...
This would really be delicious!!!

Poonky said...

when i tried making poached eggs...i boiled the water too hot and failed :P after that never makes any

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

the gion bread is damn good after toasting it..i feel its very buttery but a friend of mine actually asked and they say they dont used any butter at all..confusing..

i saw a small pan that day that is just for poached eggs..wanted to get it the 2nd time around but couldnt find it..looks like i have to try out those methods u just suggested..

btw..banquet review finally done after a kick in the arse..!

Fang Fang said...

hi, i know what i gonna ask is not related to your post, but may i know where can i get Valrhona chocolate at Klang valley? i wanna try out your cupcake recipe!

Rarebeet said...

This looks like the perfect Sunday breakfast. La Bodega uses the clingfilm method too. I've poached eggs before after much encouragement from Gary Rhodes. It was easier than I thought it would be. Something about the man's voice makes me want to do things in the kitchen! haha...

boo_licious said...

jasmine - give it a try as it's pretty easy and yummy.

cutie - yes, less mess and no vinegar smell.

lemongrass - aww, u poor thing. Don't starve too much, not good for the tummy.

sally cooked the ann - hmmmm, guess u can remove the yolk and then poach the egg whites for a healthier brekkie.

poonky - yes must not be over hot or else it will become hard.

joe - er, no need to buy special pan! Save more money for food. Interesting that they have no butter as it tastes and smells like butter. Will read yr Banquet review. Thanks.

fang fang - check out www.gourmadines.com for the places to buy the chocolate and cocoa powder. They have another place in Tropicana golf club also.

paprika - oooh, Gary Rhodes is quite a cutie with his stick out hair. I've yet to see him on telly though but I have one cook book of his - the Great British Classics one which has a few good methods also.

jackson - ask yr chef to make for u?

Babe_KL said...

absolutely loved eggs with runny yolks. next time must try with matcha!

MeiyeN said...

wow... so cool, so beautiful! poached eggs my favourite but with matcha? really got to try it out... :)

fatboybakes said...

where to buy matcha salt?
what temperature do you poach the eggs at? simmering water?

wmw said...

Can do one for a needy sista of yours ah? :p

boo_licious said...

babe - very comforting indeed as it reminds me of my childhood days.

meiyen - adds a unique twist to it.

fbb - make yr own? I use simmering water vs shimmering water.

wmw - awww, poor thing. Never mind u go eat Korean porridge to get total satisfaction instead.

Eric said...

Your eggs look gorgeous, Jasmine! Aren't they addictive? I think the key is to make the maccha salt often, in small quanities, so that it's hyperfresh.

Cheers,

Eric

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...