Friday, July 13, 2007

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins



Baking time again! Last week, I hit the kitchen to churn out these muffins from my ever faithful Dorie Greenspan. Sorry for deluging everyone with just one cookbook's recipes but I can't seem to get enough of the recipes in this book. The occasion was for Splashie Boy's road trip down to Rompin. I also got to test some new silicon bakeware for muffins which came out pretty well hence you notice these don't come with any cupcake papers.



Although the texture of the muffins are nice, I felt they weren't lemony enough for me. My problem I reckon was I used the wrong size grater for my lemon zest. Every thing got stuck in the grater so I ended up with less lemon zest. Looks like I shouldn't skimp on spending on gadgets and should really go pick up a
Microplane Zester. So if any of you plan to get me an early Christmas present, just remember that I desperately need the zester! I also had fun icing the muffins - instead of a spoon, I used a small plastic bottle to drizzle the icing on top.



Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
(from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan)


2/3 cup sugar
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon soda bicarbonate
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick (115 grams) butter, melted
2 tablespoons poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 200C. In a bowl, rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers until the scent of lemon is strong. Whisk the dry ingredients into the sugar. In another bowl mix together the sour cream, egg and melted butter.

Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir quickly and gently. Some lumps may be there, this is better than overmixing. Stir in the poppy seeds. Divide batter evenly among the cups of a prepared muffin tin. If using a muffin tin without papers, remember to grease them properly. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then remove the muffins to the rack. Once cool, you can ice the muffins. To make the icing, mix 1 cup of icing sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice until it reaches a nice liquid consistency. Drizzle the icing on top of the muffins.

18 comments:

wmw said...

You seem to be in a cooking mood of late...or are these accumulated over some time?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hmmm looks easy..but i have never ever tried baking...recommended? haha..the icing looks especially yummy

backStreetGluttons said...

with yr deep & vast hands on repertoire of street to 6 star cuisine amidst multi nationalities maybe u could consider to patent a truly our very own malaysia internatinal cake/muffin( or whatever u call it ) to graze our as of now yet still quite limited range of unknown local 'cakes'. we volunteer to test it then together with new fresh look WMW above ( ok can ah ?) promote it vertically and horizontally across for maximum impact !

No3 said...

Thanks madam for the road trip muffins.. tho the boy keeps calling 'em cupcakes. Hence, we've now renamed them "muffcakes".
My only comment on the lemon ones is they need to be a bit sweeter... but now realised we had a batch minus the icing. That could have been the problem.
Anyways, the gang really appreciated it and looking forward for more !

Tummythoz said...

Sounds & look delicious.

Rarebeet said...

This looks good. Looks so fresh and tasty. Will definitely give it a try when I get back. I'll remember to put more lemon in!

Unknown said...

wow Boo, I can see that your muffin looks sooo moist.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

My offer to be the foodtaster still stands.

Don't worry. You don't have to pay me. I'll do it out of goodwill.

Jason said...

Feels like munching them now..

fatboybakes said...

yummy, HEY, for the 2nd time, WHERE to get dorie greenspan??? if you're buying a microplaner, please get one for me too, see if can get bulk (ya, all of TWO) discount.

Unknown said...

looks so good and moist..i rmb once when i put too much lemon zest on my cheesecake n it turn out to be bitter..what is the prob actually?

GFAD said...

Hey, boo. Make that 3 microplaners! If you can get it by end of July, that is. I've noticed I have the same problem as you - loads of zest stuck on the grater. So what I usually do to reduce wastage is to 'rinse' the grater with whatever liquid I am using in the recipe.

kgboycitygal - you must've grated the pith (the white part of the skin) into your cake batter. The pith is very bitter.

chenboon said...

yummy yummy, i love muffin very much.
this recipe is great... thx for sharing!

boo_licious said...

wmw - am trying to do it weekly. This week not good as yet to hit the kitchen.

joe - it's easy! Give it a try. Muffins are just mix and bake, kinda of a no brainer.

team bsg - I've yet to explore local cakes as we can get them so easily everywhere. Sigh, maybe one day I guess once I go through the list.

ckutu - sounds a bit suggestive. Think u ate the banana ones which is eggless. Heard abt yr watermelon vodka adventures, sounds very good.

tummythoz - the inside is nice and soft but not lemony enough though.

paprika - yes it needs more lemon. Not sure if local lemons lack the taste compared to US lemons hence we need to adjust it.

lianne - thanks! I am impressed with how easy the silicon bakeware is.

lemongrass - LOL, but then I'm taking up stomach space. Will remember that when I do more experiments which is next week.

jason - oh, they also have a nice crunch becoz of the poppy seeds.

fbb - I'll check with Gourmandines. I was eyeing them last week. so tempting. I bought my copy at Kino but didn't see any. Babe says there is one copy at Borders so u better get that one as she is eyeing it. Alternatively, just order it from Kino and they'll get you a new copy.

citygal - u must have grated the zest too deep until u got the white part. That's super bitter.

kat - I used a toothpick! So tedious since I needed them dry. Wow, so many microplane lovers. Will check with the shop to see if we can get a discount.

chenboon - hope u will try it. Something to amuse u for this weekend.

Alpineberry Mary said...

Your muffins look so perfect! Just like Dorie's. =)

boo_licious said...

mary - thanks for the nice compliment but I'm sure Dorie's muffins will be much better than my attempts.

Blur Mommy said...

wow, this looks yummy! I will have to try it. Ya, u shld get the microplane. I love mine & use it for everything even for lemongrass! : )

boo_licious said...

blur mommy - such a lovely jelly u have for a thumbnail. Sigh, yes I really should just fork our money for the microplane, just that I can't fathom why I need to spend RM80 for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...