Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Wantan Mee @ K Intan Wantan Mee, Section 17, Petaling Jaya



All of you must be wondering why I've been posting about Wantan Mee recently. I actually had this on Valentine's Day with my friend but refrained from posting this since it wasn't open for business last week. Coincidentally since Hung Kee was the only place opened during Chinese New Year, I had another round of Wantan Mee in a span of two weeks.

I've been super keen to try this place ever since my friend brought me the uncooked noodles to try. Although I didn't get to taste them as my mother ate all of the noodles, I knew I had to sample these noodles as my mother raved about their texture. Incidentally if you buy these noodles home to keep, there's no harm in storing them in your fridge longer. The longer it stays in the fridge, it tastes better.



My friend who has been eating here for some time remembers it being run by an old lady who has since passed down her stall to this young couple. She's even taught the man to make the noodles which he does by hand and machine every day. It's interesting to observe how he cooks the noodles in a big pot of boiling water. Once it's ready, he uses a metal strainer to scoop up the cooked strands and plunges it in the cold water next to his pot of boiling water. This is to remove the alkaline water (kan sui in Chinese) which sticks to the noodles. Then he plunges it in the boiling water again quickly to heat it up and drains the water before adding it on the plate. Chopped char siu and spring onions is added on top of the noodles which you toss in the mixture of soy sauces and oil for flavour.



Although the noodles were top notch, I wasn't too enthusiatic about their char siu and wantans. Their char siu lacks the black sticky charness I like in my char siu while their wantans were really tiny and lacked much taste.

K Intan Wantan Mee
Jalan 17/10
Section 17
Petaling Jaya

(Non Halal. This place is open for lunch and dinner. To get here, the shop is in the middle of a row of shophouses and right behind DK Cafe. If you start from the Section 17/22 traffic lights and you're heading towards KL, take a right and go straight. Take another right just before the Shell Station. You will see Jalan 17/9 on the left, take a left turn and go straight. You will come to rows of shophouses on your left hand side. On top you can see the flats where Food Foundry and 6 to 10 grill is located.)

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.


Tagged with:
+

13 comments:

Way said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rarebeet said...

I hear you Boo! Char siu has to be sweet, sticky and charred! Charred siu right? Mmmmm... Have you been to the one on Jalan Bandar in KL, near Hong Leong bank? I like going there for lunch.

Babe_KL said...

the noodle strands looked very "bouncy", the kind of texture i liked

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

the texture of the noodles looks good, although the sauce looks a little watery? Some of my friends don't like the sticky type of char siew, so maybe I should recommend this place to them. :-)

Tummythoz said...

Believe or not, on the 3rd day of CNY, I had a plate of so-so wantan mee at Chemor (a quaint 'lil town), Perak which cost RM3.30!! Almost choked on its small slices of 'coloured red' charsiu. Oops, sorry I used your space to complain. Just 'beh tahan edi'.

wmw said...

Yeah, the noodles here nice but the rest of the stuff is okay only. I like the wantan at Section 17...still haven't gotten round to my wantan mee post yet :o)

MeiyeN said...

been to this place long long time ago and i must agree with you that da noodles' texture are darn good but not da "char-siu" and "wantan".. i remember my mom complaint that da "wantan" tasted really bad..

Unknown said...

You guys must try the sui kou there. Heavenly!

backStreetGluttons said...

Seriously seriously inspite of what they might say v can do very much,maybe together...so 4 yr love of the unknowns and our love of da outbacks, its like something err u know cannot be xplained...

da best wantan mee is in all probability in subang jaya, ever since the Petaling Street one kaput...

boo_licious said...

paprika - yeah, char siu must not be those red colouring stuff! Yes, I love the Jalan Bandar one as their wantans are really good.

babe - the texture is nice. Think best thing is to ta pau the noodles and yr desired char siu to add on top! Boil lots of veges and that's a great meal at home.

lemongrass - the plate is slightly wet because of the noodles and yeah, the sauce is not that thick.

tummythoz - poor thing! guess the only way is to go eat something nicer?

wmw - which place in Section 17? wantan sounds good.

meiyen - so I guess everyone agrees with me on the char siu and wantan.

king - wow! thxs, will do that the next time.

team bsg - yeah, heard that Koon Kee has dropped in std. Guess one has to search for the ultimate wantan mee.

wmw said...

There are two wantan mee stalls at the area facing the market. At the corner facing the SBB bank, there's a stall that serves spicy wantan mee...pretty normal but the spicy sauce makes the difference. Then at the other corner to this block (Wah Cheong), there's this stall run by a couple. I like the wantan here, not too meaty and sweet tasting (I think they have bits of carrots). Need to look at pics in my library to post...:o)

Julian Si said...

I can't wait to try this place out!! Slurrrrrrrp!

Julian Si said...

I was there yesterday, slurrrrrrrrrp! It's good, great 'Q' (oops, balance = elasticity, taste etc) to the noodles!

http://juliansi.blogspot.com/2008/05/k-intan-wan-tan-mee-section-17-pj.html

Cheers :-) for the tip!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...