Sunday, October 09, 2011

Get Your Jelly On! Day 9 - The Mentai Mountain (Mentai Sushi)

IMG_5309

Inspiration for this 30-day challenge comes from all directions.


One of the wackiest ideas was based on an all-time favourite food item, the yummy-licious Mentai Sushi from Fukuharu, Terrace at Hock Choon in Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.


The decadent luscious bite is basically a tamago (egg omelette) sushi laden with mentai (cod roe) mayonnaise that is blow torched to give it an enticing toasty taste. Believe me, one is never enough.


  IMG_5305


I had two ways to recreate the Mentai Mountain - the quick and easy one or the super long and virtuous way. While I would have loved to say I made it from scratch (*hangs head in shame*), I do confess I went for the short cut i.e. just buy ready made ingredients and assemble them.


IMG_5311


Even though it was the cheat's way, this was super darn delicious that you won't notice.


In fact, after one mouthful of this mountain, you definitely want more.


For those lazy ones who have never yielded a blow torch before, I do suggest you just visit Fukuharu to get your mentai sushi fix. Once you have eaten this, there's no turning back. Believe me.


The Mentai Mountain (Makes one cone)


Sushi rice
Tamago (egg omelette)
Kewpie mayonnaise
Mentai (can be purchased from Jusco or Isetan or any Japanese supermarket)


Line the Royal Selangor mould with cling film.


Press a little sushi rice (about 1-2 teaspoons) in to form the cone portion. Layer with tamago. Mix the mentai with the mayonnaise to form the mentai mayonnaise. Top tamago layer with the 1-2 teaspoons of mentai mayonnaise. Top with more sushi rice. Layer with tamago and mentai mayonnaise. Finish with sushi rice to form a cone. 


Turn the mould onto a plate. Remove mould and cling film to get a cone of rice. Spread a little mentai mayonnaise on the cone. Blow torch to get a toasted effect. 


Eat with caution since one is never enough.


* We recommend you be generous with the amount of mentai mixed in the mayonnaise to get maximum pleasure. 



Reminder: Support the cause by buying a Royal Selangor Nick Munro pewter mould as all proceeds go to breast cancer welfare association. Also, do remember to submit your suggestions to booliciouskl@gmail.com or leave a comment for the mould to win the Olympus camera VG-110. For more pictures, see the Flickr set for all the whole Royal Selangor Jellyriffic challenge. To view, all the jellies, see this link to the Royal Selangor website




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! I'm using a blow torch in my recipe tomorrow too!
I know exactly what you mean about the toasty flavour!

My favourite sushi is the aburi salmon! I could eat 10 of them! This sounds great! Is the paste similar to the Swedish one you can get from IKEA, of all palces?

Baby Sumo said...

This is very nice - I like it! :)

Babe_KL said...

nice one Boo! looks like lava flowing down :D

boo_licious said...

wholesomecook - I love using the blowtorch! Can't wait to see your creation, am sure it is great. Yes, it's kinda like the Ikea paste but this one has a slight chili kick to it as they sprinkle a bit of chili powder on the roe.

Baby Sumo - we're glad as we also like it a lot.

Thanks Babe! A lava of mentai mayo sounds so good.

Sean said...

Whoa, really really cool! I hope the folks at fukuharu read this post! It'd be great if they put this mentai mountain on their menu someday (with your blessing, of course!) :D

boo_licious said...

Sean - LOL. I think they'll go broke with the amt of mentai I added to my mayo.

mycookinghut said...

Looks really interesting!

Michelle Chin said...

OMO! MENTAIKO!!!! I bet this is delicious!

boo_licious said...

Thanks mycookinghut. I'm envious about your gellan.

Michelle - LOL, mentaiko is like truffles. Add it in anything and it is delicious.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

to now go n find some mentai, theres a lack of jap grocery stores in the area, yet to find one!

friedwontons4u said...

Another great creative jelly mould post! Love the caution part. From the picture of it, I'm pretty sure one is never enough :)

Bangsar-bAbE said...

It's simple, but I'm so lazy to make one myself. :P

*Can you update my blog link? I moved to bangsarbabe.com already. :)

boo_licious said...

Joe - am sure u'll find one since there's so many Asians around in Brisbane.

Friedwontons4u - incredibly addictive stuff and yes, caution is indeed needed here.

Bsar Babe - changed already. Thxs for the reminder.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...