Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Get Your Jelly On! Day 18 - The Brit (Steamed Maple Syrup Pudding)

IMG_5850

When I was studying in England, one of the best things I discovered was my love for steamed puddings.


My hall of residences was a little weird. Instead of a cafe food system for dinner time, we'll always sit down to eat together at an affixed time.


IMG_5857

 The food was never great stuff you would write home about but one thing stood out, their incredible ability to churn out these soft steamed puddings that we would eat with lashings of custard.

Every time they served steamed pudding, I'll make sure I attend dinner. The soft texture of the pudding with the creamy custard was so worth while sitting through rubbery lamb chops and awful fish and chips.

I've decided to recreate a little of my university memories with this steamed maple syrup pudding. Maple syrup ain't very Brit though (in fact it came from Minnesota Red Lake where I visited the Native Indian tribes) but I didn't want to use golden syrup since there's not much taste to it.

Do enjoy it and hopefully it'll create a memory for you that you can relive another time just like how steamed puddings hold a big significance for me.

Steamed Maple Syrup Puddings (Makes 2 moulds and a little more)


125ml maple syrup
75g butter, softened
75g caster sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
150g plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted.
125ml milk


Heat maple syrup for 7-9 minutes or until thickened. Grease the moulds lightly with butter. Ladle thickened syrup inside and chill while you make the pudding batter. Beat remaining ingredients until combined. Spoon mixture into moulds. Cover with foil. Steam with the water up to 1/2 way through for 40 minutes. Remove and unmould. Enjoy with extra syrup and vanilla ice cream.


Reminder: Support the cause by buying a Royal Selangor Nick Munro pewter mould as all proceeds go to breast cancer welfare association. Also, do remember to submit your suggestions to booliciouskl@gmail.com or leave a comment for the mould to win the Olympus camera VG-110. For more pictures, see the Flickr set for all the whole Royal Selangor Jellyriffic challenge. To view, all the jellies, see this link to the Royal Selangor website


6 comments:

Sara said...

Oooh, I love steamed pudding! Maple sounds like a great flavor for it. :)

Michelle Chin said...

Ooh where did you study? How come your hall of residences is nice enough to serve such a nice pudding!

Ellen Whyte said...

OMG Boo, how on earth do you stay so trim?????

qwazymonkey said...

Dammit, Can i camp outside your house every night ka?

cacamarba said...

hye..maybe u can try da mould with my cheesecake recipe..come check it out..

http://good-stuff-bad-stuff.blogspot.com

ninazsyafinaz said...

I imagine it gonna too sweet for me..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...