Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Get Your Jelly On! Day 12 - French Cone (French Toast with Caramel Apples)

IMG_5427 
It's mid-week and I'm singing the Jelly blues. 


Work has caught up with me. 


With all that stress, the grey brain cells can't seem to think up an inspiring idea. 


Apologies but today is a rather lame entry that looks like a roti canai!??


 IMG_5433 


Inspired by the menu on Ben's General Food Store (that started serving brekkie), I decided to make the French Cone (nope it ain't a cap). Per the menu, it described their breakfast item to be made from a rich Bavarian loaf. This was rather simple to acquire from the next door deli. 


However making it into a cone was a big challenge. If I used the side crusts to create the outside wall, it works perfectly but since the loaf was originally a bit on the deeper brown side, it comes out an unappealing darker shade of brown. 


I experimented with the inside of the loaf but this instead gave it an appearance like dimpled roti canai from the eggy mixture. I guess I just could not win this battle. Despite its ramshackle look, it tasted rather alright with the caramel apples I had also made. A bit on the sweeter side but I guess that's the liberty you pay with caramel sauces. Since I'm not much of a morning person, it was rather nice to sit down to a "morning" meal at night. Hopefully I'll shake out of my mid week blues or else the challenge is going to get rather (yawn) boring. 


French Toast with Caramel Apples 


1 bavarian loaf or croissant 
2 eggs
50ml milk 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 


1 green apple, sliced and cored 
50g caster sugar 
20g butter 
3 tablespoons cream


Beat eggs, milk and vanilla together. Dip slices of the loaf with egg mixture. Stuff into the Royal Selangor pewter mould with the crust facing outwards. Press down to form a cone. Use a knife to loosen it out. Pan-fry it on a hot frying pan until all the sides are slightly brown.


Melt sugar in a clean pot. Once it turns into caramel, add butter to melt. Add apples and cook till soften.  Add cream just before serving.


To serve: Place caramel apples on a plate. Top with the French Cone and serve immediately


Reminder: Support the cause by buying a Royal Selangor Nick Munro pewter mould as all proceeds go to breast cancer welfare association. Also, do remember to submit your suggestions to booliciouskl@gmail.com or leave a comment for the mould to win the Olympus camera VG-110. For more pictures, see the Flickr set for all the whole Royal Selangor Jellyriffic challenge. To view, all the jellies, see this link to the Royal Selangor website

10 comments:

Sara said...

So cute! Love this idea! :)

mycookinghut said...

I love French toast, I think it's a great idea! Keep it up!

Michelle Chin said...

Regardless of its look like think it is going to be delicious. :)

cacamarba said...

i'm loving it..tadatata..

ninazsyafinaz said...

Perfect for breakfast..Yum..yum..yum

Apple said...

I don't think its lame at all.
I love a well done french toast that isn't eggy and is perfectly sweet. I love the caramel apples you've done with it, I can imagine it would give it a whole new experience with the crunchy texture.

Ellen Whyte said...

I admire your sculpting skills - I think I would have just eaten it :-)

terri@adailyobsession said...

i bet it's delicious!

boo_licious said...

Sara - thanks for the support. It was a hare brain idea thought up at the last minute as usual.

my cooking hut - yes, I love French toast too hence when I saw the Ben's menu, a flashbulb went out in the mind to make it.

Michelle - yup, it was and dinner for me that night.

Thanks cacamarba.

ninasyafinaz - perfect for anytime as I had it for dinner that night.

Thanks Apple. The caramel apples did add a lovely touch to the french toast.

Au & Target - no roast chikkun in it though,

terri - it was delish but not very pretty.

Kenny Mah said...

It looks pretty enough to me, dear... tasty is the best sorta pretty! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...