Thursday, October 13, 2011

Get Your Jelly On! Day 13 - McSteamy (Steamed Rosemary Creme Brulee)

IMG_5479

I love how my friends rally around me for this 30-day challenge.


After the initial..."you're crazy" statements, they start sharing ideas and recipes.


Take for instance, LH whom I met last weekend over some Yemeni food.


She was raving on about a steamed creme brulee recipe she had just picked up in Singapore.


IMG_5477


Sounded darn interesting, hence I decided to give it a try.


The original recipe had a rosemary flavour but I understand it was tweaked to a lavender version.


Since I didn't have any lavender buds, I decided that I'll raid my rosemary plant. It's strange as the rosemary is the only plant doing well.


Just goes to show how "green" my thumbs are when it comes to plants.


IMG_5470


Despite the weird combination, I must admit the rosemary flavour is rather light and slightly floral. 


I did love the creme brulee, a rich creamy one with a light texture. Thanks LH! You're the best.


And don't forget it works well with the pretty Royal Selangor pewter moulds holding it. Now I wonder what the Grey's Anatomy fans will say to its nickname.


Steamed Rosemary Creme Brulee (Makes for 2 moulds)


400ml cream
1 teaspoon rosemary
70g caster sugar
4 egg yolks


Bring the cream to boil over a low fire. Add rosemary and leave for 15 minutes to infuse. Meanwhile, beat the sugar and egg yolks together. Strain the hot milk and pour a little to egg yolk mixture to temper (whisk in). Add egg yolk mixture into hot milk and whisk to combine. Pour into moulds. Cover top with foil. Steam over low heat for 10 minutes or until the middle no longer wobbles. Cool. Chill for 4-5 hours. Remove from the refrigerator. Sprinkle a layer of sugar on top. Blow torch until it browns. Eat immediately.


Reminder: Support the cause by buying a Royal Selangor Nick Munro pewter mould as all proceeds go to breast cancer welfare association. Also, do remember to submit your suggestions to booliciouskl@gmail.com or leave a comment for the mould to win the Olympus camera VG-110. For more pictures, see the Flickr set for all the whole Royal Selangor Jellyriffic challenge. To view, all the jellies, see this link to the Royal Selangor website

10 comments:

Hsian said...

Glad it worked out for you my dear :). Definitely looks creamier and a lot better than the one I produced at the class haha. It's you who are the best - we just provide the moral support and get rewarded by fab pictures of the good results. Only 17 recipes to go, you can do it!

Baby Sumo said...

Hehe I like the name.. maybe a McDreamy next.. or a McFlurry.. :P

Btw do u jus leave your rosemary plant in its pot? I've failed to grow rosemary 3x so far :( Seem to do fine with other herbs but not rosemary.

Sara said...

Gorgeous! I love creme brule, and the rosemary sounds like a lovely flavoring.

Michelle Chin said...

My house can't grow any thing except for sugar cane. LOL. It's the problem with the soil.

boo_licious said...

Hsian - it worked out well. The second one I made was even creamier. Yum yum. Thanks for the support.

Baby Sumo - LOL, names are thought out at the spur of the moment though. Yes, rosemary is in a pot. I should repot it as it is growing all over.

Sara - thanks. It was rather faint (I guess I should have chopped it a bit to release its oils) but nice.

Michelle - wow! What abt potted plants?

ninazsyafinaz said...

Lovely presentation using the mould.Can we assemble tiramisu using this aswell?

Swee San said...

I've been seeing alot of RS's pewter cones in the blogosphere.. I wished to have joined the event too.. such a interesting one..

The Yum List said...

Wow! Looks like a great success.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Mmm, I do love creme brulee. And rosemary creme brulee sounds intriguing. I'm surprised that rosemary is doing well for you in Malaysia; I'd have thought it was too humid / rainy for rosemary here.

Kenny Mah said...

Ooh. Flame on! Flame off! :P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...