Sunday, October 30, 2011

Get Your Jelly On! Day 30 - "Nasi Lemak Bungkus" (Coconut Gelato Jelly with Sambal, Coconut Egg and Cucumber Jelly)

IMG_6427

30 days is over...


Feels like yesterday when I received an email from Royal Selangor Pewter asking me to join this challenge.


When I decided to say yes to the challenge, I was very apprehensive. Juggling work and my crazy hours is already a roller coaster ride hence throwing in a daily challenge for such a long period seemed like a crazy idea.


But I stubbornly decided I'll do it. Part of the reason wasn't the prize but more because it was for a good cause since cancer has touched so many of our lives affecting friends and close family. Even in that 30-day period, I saw a friend pass away from lung cancer after a battle of two years.


IMG_6391


The 30 days was a roller coaster ride, some ups when the ideas work and of course, the downs when the jelly plops out in a sunken mess...


No matter how emotional it has been, the best thing is I had lots of fun. It gathered friends around me who gave ideas. Friends and blog readers would often ask too what is next encouraging me with kind words. And of course, the other half would nag me to death about what I am making. He was the big time keeper pushing me to move my butt to make jellies.


IMG_6376


The pressure kinda mounted for this last jelly...people asked me am I doing a big thing for this finale.


I decided to do a version of nasi lemak, Malaysia's favourite dish that they must eat every morning or night. When I meant a version, this wasn't just rice and sambal. Instead, this version held a few surprises. It is loosely based on a version I saw a certain famous chef make once for his television show. Once it airs, I will reveal more about him and the show.


Like everything in life, when I make the jelly things change. I had envisioned a smooth fluffy coconut base similar in texture like the one I had made for my root beer float. BUT when I combined hot gelatine liquid with the coconut gelato, it gelled up into small bits that strange enough looked like rice. I added sambal tumis to the tip just like how they do the real stuff.


IMG_6424 


After that it was chucked in the freezer and left for a few hours. The the truth came...the unveiling and it plopped out nicely. Next came the whole assembling, like how to wrap a nasi lemak bungkus (packet in Malay). Luckily there were youtube videos giving tips so that was tackled. 


I had also made jelly eggs, as a play of the hard boiled eggs that usually go with it. But the peanuts and fried anchovies (ikan bilis) was kept true to the whole dish. Even cucumbers left over from yesterday's jelly was used, encased in a wobbly cucumber jelly.


IMG_6429 


The verdict...it was rather nice indeed and that was for dinner. A definitely unique way to eat nasi lemak cold instead of piping hot but the sambal had a mellow spicy taste that rounded up the sweet coconut flavours.


Do give it a try and experience it yourself. Even though the October is almost over, there's still time to hurry over and support the cause by buying a Royal Selangor Nick Munro pewter mould as all proceeds go to breast cancer welfare association at the Royal Selangor websiteFor more pictures, see the Flickr set for all the whole Royal Selangor Jellyriffic challenge. 


"Nasi Lemak Bungkus"


nasi lemak
4 1/2 teaspoons gelatine powder
2 tablespoons hot water
150g coconut gelato
4 tablespoons sambal tumis


jelly eggs


yolk
50ml coconut milk
50ml water
3 tablespoons caster sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons agar agar powder
drop of yellow colour


egg white
100ml coconut milk
100ml water
40g caster sugar
5 teaspoons agar agar powder


cucumber jelly
1/2 cucumber, cut into slices
50ml cucumber juice
1/3 tablespoon gelatine powder


fried peanuts
fried ikan bilis (anchovies)


To make nasi lemak: Bloom gelatine powder. Melt with hot water. Mix hot gelatine powder with cold coconut gelato. It will fluff up and cause it to gell into small bits similar to cooked egg white. Take a few tablespoons out and mix with sambal. Line the moulds like cling film. Top with sambal mixture. Compress coconut mixture on top. Freeze to set. 


To make jelly eggs: Make the yolk by combining coconut milk, sugar and agar agar powder together in a pot. Heat over low heat until it is combined and thick. Remove. Add food colouring to look like the yolk. Pour into round moulds. Leave to cool. Set in a fridge. For the egg shells, crack the top and remove the eggshells and pour out the egg. Wash and dry out. Make the egg white section by combining the coconut milk, sugar and agar agar powder together over a low heat. Once it thickens, remove and pour into a jug. Pour a little in the egg shell. Add egg yolk. Cover with remaining egg white mixture. Continue for rest of eggs. Chill in the fridge for few hours till set.


To make cucumber jelly: Bloom gelatine powder. Add 1 tablespoon hot water to melt. Combine with cucumber juice. Pour into a flat mould. Top with cucumber slices.


To assemble: Remove nasi lemak from mould. Place on banana leaf. Crack jelly eggs and cut a slice out. Cut out cucumber. Serve with fried peanuts and ikan bilis. 

11 comments:

Baby Sumo said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge. I enjoyed reading your jelly posts every day :)

Rarebeet said...

Wow! Lovely! I love those jelly eggs! And that really does look like rice. Will you make me one someday?? :-)

cacamarba said...

congratulations !! nway,dat nasi lmak is fantastic,bombastic,mr loba2..dunno wut to say..haha..great.nice challenge.

ICook4Fun said...

This look like the real thing. Very creative of you. Yea I has been fun doing this but pretty challenging too. Great to have been in the challenge with you too :)

mycookinghut said...

Looks awesome! It's been great to know you through this challenge too!!

Michelle Chin said...

if i did not read the ingredients, i would have thought that you added rice into the jelly mould.

an indicator that it is successful in replicating how a standard nasi lemak biasa looks like. :)

KY said...

this is absolutely beautiful! you should win!!!

jasmine said...

congrats on finishing the challenge... this nasi lemak was really inspired! :D

Babe_KL said...

I had to do a double take when you mentioned it's not the conventional nasi lemak lol the "rice" and "egg" looked too real!

Congrats for surviving all 30 days of jellies!

Ellen Whyte said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge, Boo! Love your ideas and pictures.

boo_licious said...

Baby Sumo - thanks for the support! Whew, finally over. Can now continue with life.

Paprika - Awww, I'll make it for you one day. Do you want to borrow my moulds to make your jellies?

Thanks cacamarba! Nasi Lemak Jelly is definitely a big first for me.

Thanks Icook4fun. It was fun indeed as we all gather together to enjoy the challenge.

mycookinghut - Yes, more great food blogs I discover from the challenge to add to my growing list.

Michelle - hee hee, a "rice" less nasi lemak. But calories are still there since dairy based.

Thanks KY for that vote of confidence but we know that's not possible since I am from KL.

Thank you Jasmine!

babe-kl - LOL, a twist on the old fav since jelly eggs were tinted to look like the real thing and even the nasi lemak looked like the original with its compressed rice look.

Thank you my furry friends Au and Target. I would have you know, my furry pals inspected each jelly thoroughly and sniffed their way through the 30-day challenge.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...