Thursday, August 10, 2006

Fishball Noodles @ Section 17 Medan Selera, PJ



Every time I mention the Teochew Fishball place in Paramount Gardens, a friend of mine will talk about her favourite fishball noodles located in Section 17. I decided it was time for me to search for them one afternoon and I found them easily at the Medan Selera (Food Court in Malay) just next to Section 17's wet market.

The Medan Selera is quite small with probably ten stalls that serve a variety of Chinese food like tong sui, pan meen, drinks, fried rice and Malay food. You can see it's also a meeting point for the people who live at the flats nearby as everyone seems to know each other. I headed towards the fishball stall and ordered a small bowl of kuey teow with their fishballs and pieces of fishcake (RM3).

My bowl of noodles came with thinly sliced fishcake, fishballs, preserved vegetables, bean sprouts and a sprinkling of deep fried lard on top. I couldn't really taste the fishcake as it was too thinly sliced but I fell in love with the fishballs. If you see the picture closely, they aren't the smooth type indicating they're very home made and not factory processed like the ones you usually get in other hawker stalls. The soup was also nice and clear with no hint of MSG as I didn't feel thirsty after my meal.

Now if I had to make my ultimate fishball noodles: it would be the fishcake from the Teochew fishball place, the fishballs from here plus the fish skin wantans from the Cheras place.


Fishball Noodle Stall
Stall No. 14
Medan Selera Section 17
Along Jalan 17/21
Petaling Jaya


(Next to the wet market and at the side of the flats. If you are coming from the Rothmans roundabout and Paramount Gardens, take the twelve o clock turn on at the roundabout, drive straight and take the second left turn and you will see the medan selera on the right hand side. The market is next to it and painted orange in colour. The two buildings are between Jalan 17/1A and Jalan 17/2. Open for lunch and closed on Sundays)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+

Other Reviews:

15 comments:

tihtahpah said...

There's a branch in Subang Jaya (same row as EON Bank)..add noodles for free...

boo_licious said...

tihtahpah - you're talking abt Teochew Fishball rite? I saw it from the main road that day but did not go in. Try this place, very nice fishballs.

boo_licious said...

flymeng - O&S version is koay teow thng though with all the pig's blood and etc. I actually wanted to try O&S that day and snap a pix of the fried food stall but no parking.

tihtahpah said...

yar..i'm referring to Teochew Fishballs (green signboard). Supposedly no boric acid...will definitely try out the fishball noodle u mention... :)

Unknown said...

this place also has fried pork lard. i've eaten at this stall since 1992 when the owner's father was still alive. back then the stall only opened at night and always packed from 6pm to 9pm. everyday sure finish one.

my usual order is one big plate of char kuay teow (which is my favourite CKT in PJ). i tell him to leave out the siham and he will add fishcake for me. then order a bowl of fishball soup which he will add some taugeh to it.

boo_licious said...

tihtahpah - the fishcake is very nice there and their kuey teow is also good.

lanatir - hmmm, CKT sounds good. I'll give that a try too the nxt time. I saw he served that but no one was eating hence I didn't order.

Unknown said...

pity u didnt order... when the place is packed, u have to wait a while for the CKT. it's the highlight of the place. it's not penang style but more southern style which is darker due to the black soy sauce used.

boo_licious said...

lanatir - ok, I'll make it a pt to go nxt week.

Unknown said...

PENGSAN!!!!!!!

Kalyn Denny said...

I'm trying to learn about Asian food from your blog and others, and this is fascinating. I've never heard of this before. They sound quite intriguing.

boo_licious said...

puspha - don't faint. Just make lots of room for this when you come back.

Kalyn - hiya! Fishball noodles are quite popular among Asians as eating fish is considered healthy. Hope you enjoy yr Asian food journey.

GFAD said...

If you are ever in this place in the morning, you should try one of the pakcik's nasi lemak with sotong sambal (he is the one wearing a kopiah). Excellent stuff! And priced very reasonable - abt RM1.20. But finish very fast, so go early.

boo_licious said...

thxs so much for the tip kat. You stay around there?

mh said...

The fishball you posted... yeah... I can feel it's homemade from the photo, must be very nice.

boo_licious said...

tekko - swing by there after you eat yr sunrise duck or tang hse of fishball. Very yummy fishball.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...