Monday, August 28, 2006

Char Siu @ Choon Yien, Section 17, PJ



I'm currently on the search for yummy char siu in town as the ones I have tried so far haven't really hit the spot for me yet. Recently quite a few people have recommended I try this place in Section 17's Happy Mansions area that also houses 6 to 10 Grill plus Food Foundry.

I actually have good and bad opinions about this place. Although the char siu here is above the average type you find in the barbequed meats stalls, I'm kinda peeved with this place as I find the quality of the food to be not consistent. The good points about this place is they serve nice chicken soup that comes wth gei zhi (wolfberries in English), cucumbers and chicken legs. Their chicken is fried and the skin is really crispy and the char siu depending on which cut you get is pretty good.

Having said that, I was not impressed with service as I find the servers to be generally unfriendly. I don't mind sour faces but what irked me was they were not giving me pointers on how to order from their stall hence it took me a while to tweak the orders to get what I wanted. For instance, my first plate of char siu was inedible as I did not ask for "half fat half meat" and their siu yoke was so fat. Consistency is also an issue as I went here a total of three times and I had different experiences with their char siu that ranged from bad to very good. If you are in the area, do give the food a try and I'll love to hear your experience with it. It's also advisable to eat there early as the food runs out quite fast.

Restaurant Choon Yien
Happy Mansions, Jalan 17/13
Section 17, Petaling Jaya

Closed on Sundays

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello! nice blog.. =)

J said...

*sigh*
Yeahit seems like most Malaysian restaurants' service level drops as their fame increases.
(Sad, isn't it?)

My favourite char siew/ siew yoke place is still the open air stall behind Hotel Istana...

... and a contributing factor is because the uncle/auntie pair running the stall are pretty friendly...

GFAD said...

I had the char siu rice here recently after avoiding them for many, many months and I must admit their char siu (not the rice though) is different from the rest. I like it for its fragrant smoky sweet flavour. It's not as sticky and juicy as the one at Tengkat Tong Shin. I also prefer my char siu to be cut into more dainty slices! And you're right about the sour-faced servers, especially the brother of the cook (the server with moustache, I think he's the brother..) - I cannot stand him!! damn LCLY, especially during peak hours!!

boo_licious said...

leo - hello! Glad you like it and keep visiting.

jackson - guess it's just sloppiness and laziness setting in.

J - char siu sounds yummy and yes, if people are friendly, food always taste nicer somehow.

kat - yeah, I hate that fella too. The nice one is this old chap who sends the food to the table. The char siu is not bad, just that I hate the inconsistency when they give you their food items unlike the roast pork place in Sec 17. I have been a million times and everytime the roast pork is good.

boo_licious said...

bayibhyap - yeah, they are super rude. It's like they don't want your business. That's expensive for your char siu rice? Usually it's RM5 for the std order.

Unknown said...

ta pau it the other day, did not feel them rude but they were really busy with calls calling to book those char siu and siu york...to me nothing special and the cut is too big and thick (chor lor)...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...