Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Yam Cake & Tong Sui @ Bean's Dessert Kitchen



Gosh, the haze is really getting to me as it seems extra hot and humid nowadays. Recently I stopped by this tong sui shop in SS15, Subang Jaya for some cold respite from the heat as I remember one of the blog readers, Flower from Perth mentioning it before. Located in a corner shop where lots of Internet Cafes dot the area, this place serves halal tong sui and snacks. Pretty interesting menu and it looks like they have also branched out to serve lunches with chicken chop and local offerings. As a snack, I tried their yam cake (Wu Tau Kou in Chinese, RM2) which was pretty good. I liked how they served it hot which made it a pleasure to eat and lots of fried shallots on top. It would have made my day if it came with chunks of yam inside.


They have lots of tong sui offerings ranging from a three bean dessert, green beans with sweet potatoes, bubur chacha, wheat, peanut, barley and gingko, and special tong sui. These special tong sui is like the one above i.e. pear and papaya with white fungus (RM3.50). Other varieties includes water chesnuts and honey dew. They also serve cooling teas in bottles and icy cold shaved ice desserts. The tong sui is pretty okay but I felt the portion was quite small and would have preferred their conventional tong sui which was priced at RM2.

Bean's Dessert Kitchen
At the corner shop located on Jalan SS15/8B
Subang Jaya

(Opened from 10.30 am onwards to late especially during weekends)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+ +

10 comments:

MeiyeN said...

hi boo...is this shop near da mamak square?

Fulltime Mom said...

Boo, you should try the honey and watercress tea. It's wonderful, especially on a sweltering hot day.

BTW, I finally tried Luca's pizza last night. I found it better than the fast food American delivery pizzas. The cheese tasted wonderful.

wmw said...

Mmm...yum yum! Always game for such food! BTW, I'm linking masak-masak, hope that's ok with you.

Audrey Cooks said...

Oh! I just made wu tau kou recently but never got around to posting it yet. I love mine with chunks of wu tau too!

J said...

The yam cake looks delicious.
:)

boo_licious said...

Jackson - I'm hopeless in Subang Jaya too. If you are coming from the highway, take the second turning into Subang Jaya and drive towards Subang Parade. At the traffic light where the mosque is opposite take a right turn and go straight. You will pass McDs and shophouses on yr left hand side and come up to a traffic light. Just before the traffic light turn left into the shophouses, you will see Bean's at the corner of the shophouses on your right hand side.

boo_licious said...

Meiyen - not sure where the Mamak square is but if you follow the above directions, you can find it. It's quite near Asia Cafe.

Fulltime Mom - glad you like Luca's. I actually think they are much better than Dominos and etc. No rubbery cheese and the pizza base is not so uncooked. I saw the tea and was tempted to try but thought tong sui will be better.

wmw - no problems. Do link away!

audrey - yum! I love those chunks, they are like little treasures to find in the whole yam cake.

J - very yum! When are the yummy pixs of La Suisse coming up?

J said...

Phwoar - so impatient!
Haha.
Ok ok.
Will finish up my review asap and put it up next Monday (promise!)
:)
(Sorry... been busy with work)

boo_licious said...

J - love La Suisse so want to drool over the food in your pixs.

Anonymous said...

Hello boo_licious

Thanks for the wonderful comments on Beans. Surprised why I'm thanking you? Don't think you're half as surprise as I am - bumping into a blogger talking about Beans. Yes, I'm the owner of Beans. Feel free to give more comments/criticism so that we can improve. Bye!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...