Monday, August 21, 2006

Vadai @ Raju's, Section 5, Petaling Jaya



I know I have been tempting all of you with lots of fried snacks that are so sinful but I thought I should not miss out those yummy Indian snacks. These are served during teatime and in my opinion, one of the best in town as they're always freshly fried. I'm not sure if many of you know that besides serving one of the yummiest roti canai (very crispy please!) and banana leaf rice, Raju's also serves very yummy teatime snacks from 3 to 6 pm daily. This was actually introduced to me vide my brother in law who is the ultimate fan of Raju's. There is quite a large variety but the more traditional Indian snacks are the Ulundu Vadai or what the fellas at Raju's call, the Lubang Vadai. Bite into one with a crispy exterior to find a soft centre and lots of chopped chillies for extra kick.


This is another variety of Vadai called Masala Vadai which is made from dhall or chickpeas. It's very crunchy and for some stalls if it's not done right, it can be hard to eat. Besides these snacks, do try their fried bananas as it's as good or even better than the ones served in the Chinese stalls. Here they use ripe bananas and the batter is light and crispy. Wash all this down with a hot glass of teh tarik (preferably kurang manis) and your tummy will be in heaven.

I do find the prices of their snacks to be slightly on the higher side at RM0.60 versus other Indian snack stalls but they make it up for it as it's much nicer. They also serve curry puffs and other fried items. And if you're a Petaling Jaya resident, it's also nice to sit outside near the La Salle school field which brings back lots of memories for Splashie Boy and I.

Raju's
27, Jalan Cantek 5/13
Off Jalan Gasing
Petaling Jaya

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+

7 comments:

Rarebeet said...

Eeeevil!! You are eeeevil! Brilliant pics!

tihtahpah said...

Eh, I stopped going to Raju's when it became overpriced.. and quality was getting bad.

backStreetGluttons said...

ever tried the one in bangsar, telawi area corner lot forgot the name, infront where pasar malam sunday is. The vadai is decent but the 3 different sauces to go along superb !

boo_licious said...

jackson - hee hee, now you know how to impress the Indian fella when you ask for the vadai.

paprika - evilness on Monday esp to tide over those nasty Monday blues.

tihtahpah - fried items still yummy and roti canai still as garing as we like it.

kat - er, nope don't really listen to Traxxfm and I think no one I know also listens to it as no one called me to tell me abt it. Thxs for the info.

tonixe - they have sauce? Is this Devi's Corner? There's also another stall around Telawi, nearer to the houses but I prefer Raju's somehow.

FooDcrazEE said...

raju is indeed excellent and wonder how he got the license to operate outside his shop. anyway, when he took over from his late uncle...biz been booming and he even stays at Sec 5......filthy rich area....

Unknown said...

I've never eaten vadei tat r bought from shops as my mum makes the best vadei in the entire world. She is very famous for her vadeis among our relatives circle.

boo_licious said...

foodcrazee - money talks!! Yeah, still remember the big hoo hah when the accident occured. Big news in PJ.

puspha - lucky you to get home made ones.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...