Thursday, August 03, 2006

Char Siu @ Meng Kee, Tengkat Tung Shin, KL



It's almost the weekend so why don't you indulge in some sticky and sinful char siu? This place is my all time favourite for char siu, something which I don't usually eat much of because it's extremely hard to find the right variety. My previous mainstay for char siu used to be at Sunrise Duck in Petaling Jaya but sadly they have stopped serving it hence this has been the next best thing.

Located in the row of shophouses which has been given new life by more hip and modern restaurants, this place is always packed during lunchtime. They have two identical stalls chopping and serving the barbequed meat and steamed chicken hence waiting for food is not too long. The chicken is not fantastic but it's a must order with the char siu. I also love the crunchy bean sprouts you can also order that adds a slightly healthier perspective to the sinful meal. Incidentally the char siu at this place is barbequed in a huge clay oven which looks like a tandoor oven.

Recently, I have noticed that the char siu's taste has changed slightly and it doesn't taste as nice as before. Is it just my acute tastebuds or do you also feel the same way as I do? Kinda strange as I see the old man who owns the stall is still around hence I suspect they have either changed suppliers for their ingredients or he has handed part of the reins to the second generation to handle.

Meng Kee
13 Tengkat Tung Shin
Bukit Bintang
Kuala Lumpur

Tel No: 017 -6388648

(Open for lunch time only from 11am onwards. )

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with: +

Other reviews:

7 comments:

J said...

I went to Meng Kee a while back and found the Char Siew a bit too sweet for my tastebuds...

I dunno how this compares to how it used to taste though 'cos that was the first and last time I went there.
:)

Tummythoz said...

Delicious pix yet again! Pity my teeth find it way too sweet. As mentioned in 1 of my previous post, I prefer those from Ching Hai, a corner coffeeshop before reaching this shop.

little.black.book said...

i can feel my saliva running..

www.littleblackbookmy.blogspot.com

boo_licious said...

flymeng - sorry for making u hungry!

J - seems everyone finds it sweet. It didn't used to be so cloyingly sweet - now it's as though they poured so much maltose on it that the meat is drowned by the sweet part.

jackson - wow! I had this sometime back so can't remember how much we paid. Strange thing abt this place is it is forever packed.

tummythoz - is Ching Hai the one at the corner. The hor fun is nice there.

littleblackbook - hello, glad you like the pix.

fatboybakes said...

boo, i oso agree with tummythoz...the ching hai (assuming that's the corner) char siew is equally good in my opinion. yar, the ipoh hor fun there's great as well. jackson's right, the meng kee char siew is darn expensive...one small tar pau of RM10, gets you like a few slivers only.

teckiee said...

i've got to try the corner shop char siew... and yeah.. i think the char siew not so nice already compared to last time.. but still nicer than a lot of place out there

boo_licious said...

fatboybakes - I've eaten at the corner place but only hor fun. Will try the recommended char siu.

teckiee - yeah, difficult to find nice char siu. Always too dry or too fat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...