Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chill out @ Chocs-2-Die-For Soiree, Schokolart, Solaris Mont Kiara, Kuala Lumpur


chocolate anyone?

I confess I am a total chocoholic - a day does not seem to be right unless I have even a small piece of chocolate (my fav being dark bittersweet chocolate). Hence, when I got an invite to savour chocolate cocktails recently, I was instantly hooked. Kicking off their first soiree, Schokolart is a place I have been eyeing for quite sometime. I first noticed it long ago, when I did a quick check of Tenji last year but since it wasn't serving a full menu, I placed it on the backburner for some time.

lighting up the brandy....

While I didn't get to sample their menu items, I was given the lowdown on what was good. They serve choc-inspired cuisine (think choc sauce with lamb and it seems a juicy chicken satay marinated in dark chocolate!!), chocolate desserts, chocolate cocktails and handmade chocolates. Everything sounds delectable so hopefully when I have the time, I can revisit the place to try their other goodies. I'm especially curious about the satay chicken skewers marinated with dark chocolate. The closest I ever had chocolate with savoury items was my Mexican experience in
Sandias (which is now closed down) where they serve mole.

get ready for this...

The chocolates looked absolutely gorgeous at the counter (I liked the delicate pink flower ones). Seems they're the work of the pastry chef Matthias, who used to run a
cafe at Bangsar. Swiss imported chocolates are used to make the confections and they are packed in pretty pink coloured boxes.


drink up that trail of fire....goes to your head very "fast & furious"

Back to the soiree, it is a monthly affair where you get unlimited flow of chocolate cocktails from 10pm to 1am. The food is not much, as it is just nibbles of fruits and cake for you to dip in their giant 5 feet chocolate fountain (decorously protected with a plastic casing) so focus on the drinks instead. You also get entertained by a standup comic, Frieda. We didn't get to see much of her performance since we left early but it sounded pretty amusing.


my "Jackson Pollock" inspired fruits drizzled with melted chocolate

There are various types of cocktails to choose from including a list of shooters. Almost all of the cocktails use a liquer known as Creme de Cacao - Brown or White. This sweet chocolate tasting liquer is made from cacao beans (usually used to make cocoa and chocolate). The white version is produced from distilling the cacao beans while the brown version is made from the extract of cacao beans.

The 12 shooters have cute names like Halle Berry Dreams (a mix of Cacao White and Strawberry Cream) and Red Devil (Irish Cream and Melon Liquer). We tried the Shai Scream (Cacao White and Butterscotch Cream) and Bull's eye (Cacao White and Brown) - not too bad and not very strong even though you have to down them quickly. The 23 cocktails also had adorable names like Chocolate Monkey, Death by Chocolate and etc. Some of them were just made from alcohol while others resembled smoothies with ice cream. A super popular drink was the Fast & Furious - a mix of white rum, Creme de Cacao, mint chocolate in a martini glass whereby they pour a brandy lit up from above. You have to sip the drink simultaneously and let me tell you, it definitely gets to your head, "fast and furious". However, it is a visual treat especially with the trail of fire pouring down.

For those who prefer a milder cocktail, try the Choc Banana Fudgeslide as it resembles a mild tasting banana chocolate milkshake even though it contains Creme of Banana and Half & Half Banana. Overall, I did have fun and wouldn't mind coming back with a group of friends. However, be prepared to drink loads of cocktails and get tipsy (unless you stick to those milder milkshake type drinks) to get your money's worth. For more pictures, see my
flickr set.

Schokolart
Block K-01-05
Solaris Mont Kiara
2, Jln Solaris
50480 Kuala Lumpur

Tel No: 03-6203 0968

(Pork free but definitely not alcohol free. Place is right opposite Tenji at a corner. The soiree is a monthly affair where you pay RM185++ per couple for unlimited chocolate cocktails from 10pm to 1am. For more details on what they offer, see the link to
Solaris and their website)

17 comments:

Sean said...

Good news: the choc-laced satay is outstanding! You can find a pic and description of it on my blog: http://eatdrinkkl.blogspot.com/2009/01/schokolart_7146.html

boo_licious said...

Thanks Sean for that tip. It looks delectable. Must go and try when I am free...

thule a.k.a leo said...

So... did you get tipsy in the end??? lol...
to tell u the truth, I'm a chocoholic too! but I had cut down the amount lately due to my expanding waistline. Just like you, dark bitter chocolate is my preferred choice but most of the time, I just wallop Cadbury only :)

Ciki said...

my gosh! chocolate cocktails! talk about piling on the pounds.. but what a way to go i tell ya!
haha.. new hangout joint for me i think :D

eiling lim said...

Sounds and looks like a place obligatory for me to go. Thanks for the info!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

double the sin and double the guilt..ohhhhh so worth the price for getting smashed on chocolates?

minchow said...

Sounds like one heavenly soiree! Chocolate, liquer, fireworks! Am dying to try mole, they should take the cue from your post and do something about that!

Rebecca Saw said...

wow! this is something! totally agree, great fr a bunch of friends to hang out n enjoy..

boo_licious said...

leo - er, that fast & furious really got to my head. Ahh, Cadbury is not bad but sweet though.

ciki - perfect for chocoholics!

eiling - yes, do go check it out and let me know from a choc expert's pt of view.

Joe - there's a feel good factor since it is choc and alcohol I reckon.

550ml - yeah, doubt one can find mole anymore in KL unless you get those visiting chefs from Mexico.

thenomadGourmand - these places must definitely hang out with more people; you can get to try more stuff too!

girl gungho said...

Heya boo_licious! Thanks for dropping by on behalf of the management of Schokolart! Knoe wat? We're thinking of throwing a bloggers nite. Think it'll work? Perhaps you could spearhead it. Kekekeke.... and we'll get u fast & furiously happy! Email me if yr keen to explore - jasminelow@gmail.com.

Check our me blog too: www.doppelgangerkl.blogspot.com as I also organise gigs, readings and music events.

thule a.k.a leo said...

OK... will go for the soiree next month... provided that Jenn has not given birth yet... lol!

J said...

Oh, you were there too? What a coincidence... :)
(Mmmm... am still dreaming about the chocolate martini)

boo_licious said...

Jaz - Cool! Not sure abt the other bloggers though, if they like this kind of thing. Will let you know.

leo - go party b4 the baby comes!

J - I saw your name on the list, but since I didn't know what you looked like, couldn't say hi.

J said...

Wah. You have very sharp eyes....
(I am so blur! I didn't even see your name on the list...)

Mmmm. I guess it's my own fault for being anti-social (never attend any of the flogger meetups), and shy (never put any of my own photos up on my blog). :)
(Actually, I was just at the corner table near the toilet)

Anyway,... no worries. :) I wish I could have said hi, but I also don't know what you look like!

YilingL said...

I love the 2nd, 3rd, 4th pictures!

boo_licious said...

J - awww, never mind, we will meet one day...

Thxs Yiling. Splashie Boy took them since I was slurping the drink or more like the alcohol down.

Unknown said...

i jz love tiz place..someting difrent..love...i jz love thier cocktails...nvr imagine an chocolate cocktail...i like the way the bartendar did the 'fast & furious'...cool..thank god he explain to me how drink dat...i was worried im gonna burn my mouth off...but no...its an nice idea...i didnt get the bartendar name...i tink is slashie or sumting..love to there again...beautiful place...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...