Thursday, February 19, 2009

Yong Tau Foo @ Ipoh Road Yong Tau Foo, Kota Damansara


fresh and crispy from the wok

I often get a little confused around the Kota Damansara area - there's so many places to eat and somehow the one place I keep wanting to visit is always closed i.e. Peony Garden. My friend has been raving about that place for a long time but everytime we drive there, it seems to be closed. Anyway, we spotted this huge sign proclaiming they were selling Ipoh Road Yong Tau Foo.


bittergourd and silky tofu stuffed with fish paste


Having fond memories of the original shop in Segambut (they used to operate in a shack next to a river but has now moved into a mansion nearby) where we used to eat lunch, I picked this place. It was a good choice, we liked the quiet and efficient service - just write down how many items you want on this paper filled with all the choices, hand it back to the waiter and within minutes your food arrives fresh from the wok.

While it may irk some purists who believe the fish paste stuffing must be mixed with minced pork and a little salted fish, I liked their stuffing made from pure fish paste. My favourite bits were the crunchy stuffed tofu skin rolls. Damn crisp that I wanted more. Had to restrain myself and eat the other "healthier" yong tau foo aka the bittergourd and soft tofu. I also ordered a paper wrapped chicken, see pixs in Flickr. It was a pretty generous piece soaked in a gingery sauce. Not the best but pretty decent. Definitely won't mind returning to this place again, as I saw quite a few people eating their assam fish also.

Ipoh Road Yong Tau Foo
5 Jalan PJU 5/18
Sunway Damansara
Kota Damansara
Petaling Jaya

(Pork free. One of the branches they have. Original is in Segambut and shares the premises with a steamboat place. The Kelana Jaya outlet is closed and I remember also seeing another big branch around Kepong.)


*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

Tagged with:
+

10 comments:

thule a.k.a leo said...

Hmmm... since Jenn & I always come to this place to lunch or dinner, I'll go with an empty stomach and order lotsa yong taufu and their other dishes... he he he!

tankiasu said...

There's another outlet 2 rows away from the Old Town White Coffee in Kuchai Lama.

IMHO their YTF is just alright. Still prefer to get my fix from the Hakka YTF on Jalan Peel or from the spiritual hometown of YTF, Pekan Ampang! ;)

worldwindows said...

YTF (mostly) is great food as it fulfills four important criteria at least for me: healthy, fast, tasty, cheap.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

miss the place as segambut..the ones that we always drive to when we were back the old office..sigh..theres no YTF in Brickfields!

Ciki said...

we (colleagues and I) eat in this area a lot.. this ytf is so-so for us - fast but nothing out of the ordinary. The fried fu-chok is the best item here!

Also, Peony Garden is really nothing to shout about either. the price seems cheap but when the portion comes it is soooo tiny. (they have large and small). small is just a waste of time. the large is actually normal size if you ask me.. also no PERUT in the perut ikan!!! taste wise average. Maybe you have better luck..? ;)

millipedemom said...

Hey thanks for this review. I might try this place out since i live nearby;) Will ask whether it's halal or not.

Rarebeet said...

Somehow, ytf has never appealed to me. Its probably the last thing I would think of eating. Something unholy about all those fresh vegetables deep-fried to hell. Hahaha. You know, I have a friend who thinks ytf is "healthy"? She says "Its vegetables and tofu what...No carbs somemore". :-)

Lin said...

I've been here recently too. Its quite good, though a bit expensive. We usually get our yong tau foo dose from the one near Ampang Point. Used to go there a lot when I used to live there.

boo_licious said...

leo - hope you like it. It's decent stuff, not blow your mind away YTF.

tankiasu - the Jln Peel one is nice. I like how they do an oyster roll.

worldwindows - I find it comforting even though the fried ones pack loads of calories.

Joe - I think there is...near the makeshift mkt behind 7-11.

ciki - oh no, my friend keeps talking abt Peony Garden, says it is the best ever Penang Nonya food and I must try it.

millepedemom - I think this place isn't halal but more pork free.Didn't see a certificiate from Jakim being displayed here.

Paprika - aiks! How can esp since the Ipoh people love yong liew to death in that town. LOL, yeah eating it fried is definitely not healthy. I had it steamed the other day; tasted really good.

Lin - Ampang is definitely better, as they add pork into the stuffed paste. The other place that is also very good is in Puchong - done on the spot.

Unknown said...

so they moved here from the quiet LDP location!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...