Friday, March 27, 2009

Dining Out @ Restaurant Chef Choi, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur


aromatic duck (heong soo arp) pancakes - the bones are also very delectable

Time to clear that huge backlog of blog posts I have. Better do them now, or else knowing me I will forget what the food tasted like. I'll start with the very memorable ones. My friends have been asking me to try this place for the longest time ever so recently I finally got a chance. Plus I was drooling from the descriptions in
Malaysian Insider. Some may say this place can be pricey but I honestly think it is worth every sen you pay for it, as it is top-notch.


aromatic and simple fried tung fun with dried prawns

We went a little crazy that night with our selections as my friend wanted to share her favourites with us. I doggybagged the food for my mother who really loved the food too! Always a good indication if it can excite my mother's palate who loves her Chinese food. The aromatic duck pancakes were delicious stuff even though I only managed to eat a little and the bones were even better - so crunchy that I had to resist eating it all up. The fresh prawns with a creamy Chinese wine sauce was also good - we asked for a small one since we knew it will be impossible to finish. I enjoyed the vegetarian sweet and sour pork - made with beancurd sheets and it was so good with their fluffy fried rice with egg white.


vegetarian sweet and sour "pork" that was so good with fried rice

I was a little sceptical about the tomato noodles hence my friend also ordered the fried tung fun for me. The tung fun was simply fried with large dried prawns (har kau) and it was so aromatic that I have been hankering for it since. The verdict on the tomato noodles - it was also very good. A little tangy from the vinegar so the balance is not there but nevertheless since very good stuff. It reminded me of these tomato noodles from Sarawak but somehow this version is even better. And it did taste better the next day as the flavours seep it.


the unusual but delish tomato noodles that tastes even better the next day

I wanted to try out their steamed fish since it is a favourite of mine especially the bamboo fish (ikan bodoh in Malay and soon hock in Chinese) - really good, steamed perfectly and it even had the decadent fish liver. Yums especially with the sauce drizzled over rice. We also had the obligatory vegetable - jade green and crunchy kailan.


sweet ending - almond milk in papaya

Last but not least, the warm almond milk in a papaya that Malaysian Insider raved about. Very aromatic, not overly sweet with a bit of white fungus, I loved this too especially with the papaya. Overall, I didn't have any complaints about this place and I will definitely return as I want to try the lobster yee meen, I heard so much about. Plus those tomato noodles are addictive, I can imagine me running down town to pack that home and I suspect there won't be any leftovers to savour the next day. For all the pictures, see the
Flickr set to drool over.

Restaurant Chef Choi
159, Jalan Ampang
Kuala Lumpur

Tel: 03- 2163 5866

(Non halal. House next to Pelita Restaurant.See
website for more details.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.


Tagged with: +

Other review:

14 comments:

Julian Si said...

I so wanna try the warm almond milk in a papaya :-) Drool!

ps - Bon voyage!

Anonymous said...

wow, almond milk with papaya..super nourish for the skin! So, how pricey was that??mind sharing?

minchow said...

The tomato noodles sound absolutely intriguing! Can't help but can't help wondering... where are them tomatoes? And Soon Hock is ikan bodoh in BM?! I learn something new here every visit!

boo_licious said...

Jules - the dessert is super yummy stuff. I shared with my friend but the next time, it is all mine.

Simplegirl - I just realised they didn't charge us for it, so I don't have the price. Sorry!

550ml jar of faith - cooked down tomatoes in the form of ketchup. Based on an old Campbell Road (Jln Dang Wangi) stall's tomato noodles in olden days. I think that is why soon hock always look so "duh" in the aquarium.

Rebecca Saw said...

LOL at ur reply to the ikan bodoh comment by 550ml)!
gd idea.. since I dont hv a group to go w me..can ta-pau! guess that's why this establishment is stil ard altho tons of chinese restaurant (and everything else) has mushroomed ard Klang Valley..gd food rules!
oh yea..hw much arr?

thule a.k.a leo said...

hey hey!!! definitely suit my taste as I'm a Chinese food fanatic... lol!!! Sabar sabar... the day will come soon

Rarebeet said...

Blast from the past! Have forgotten about this place. Food still sounds fantastic. Must give it a visit soon. Thanks for reminding me about this hidden gem in the city!

fatboybakes said...

the noodles look delectable, and HEONG SOU NGAP!!!! YAY!!!! good ah?
i tot soon hock is ikan hantu?

UnkaLeong said...

always walk past this place on the way to wisma central for lunch. and have also heard that it's a tad pricey. Safe trip yar!

FBB : Wanna try ar?

Ciki said...

the papaya dessert looks fantastic!

Unknown said...

Went there last week and food quality is decent even if the original chef Choi has left! the only complaint i have is getting charged 12 ringgit for what i thought was a complementary plate of siew yoke with 6 pieces!!! And to pull this kind of stunt when i was one of ONLY 2 tables in there is shocking!!!

Simon Seow said...

I would really like to try the heong soh ngap. Quack, quack.

boo_licious said...

nomadgourmand - prices are on the flickr set so look through them. Now, I'm craving for tomato noodles.

leo - never mind, wait until baby is older than you can take yr wife here.

Thxs Tessa.

Paps - food is good here, we shld visit one nite with the girls. Pricey though so not sure if the others will mind.

fbb - think it has a few names. the ducky is yum esp the bones. crunch crunch.

unkaleong - yes, pricey and next to bustling Pelita.

ciki - it was yummy stuff. Now I feel like having some.

Joe - LOL, how come they are supposed to have given you a complimentary plate of siu yoke? You asked for it or they just gave you some to sample?

Simon - it is good. Give it a try one day.

Rebecca Saw said...

ahhh found..RM24..thks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...