Friday, March 06, 2009

The answer is - Roasted Bone Marrow


I'm Anthony Bourdain's last supper

For those who thought about the riddle or more like the puzzle, the answer is Roasted Bone Marrow. Nic who recently had this in Singapore, managed to guess what the rings were - emptied bones after the marrows have been dug out. Big pat on his back!

We found bone marrow selling in delicious ingredients at Dua Residency, hence we bought them and decided to have a very decadent meal at home. These sinful fellas (also known as Anthony Bourdain's last supper, after he ate at Fergus Henderson's restaurant St John) is usually paired with a
parsley caper salad per Henderson's recipe. Mine was just based on the Christmas issue of Appetite. I even came across an even more decadent recipe from Michael Ruhlman's blog - fried bone marrow! That sounds very good but a little more work. Am not sure if delicious ingredients still stocks this and whether you can get them from the butchers though but I would think it is possible, since I see sup tulang places having this around.

Roasted Bone Marrow (adapted from Appetite magazine)

6 beef bone marrows (about 2" lengths)
freshly grinded black pepper and salt to sprinkle
1 wholemeal baquette (or the plain type)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Clean and wash bones, place on a foil lined baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven (beware as the bones are hot), place on a plate and season with black pepper and salt. Serve with toasted baquette slices and eat while hot. Serves 6.

12 comments:

Precious Pea said...

How it taste like?? Just salt and pepper to season?

thule a.k.a leo said...

I want to try that... yummy!!! Looks tantalising...

Ciki said...

aiiyoh.. how come nic guessed and i cannot ..grrrr.. summor i was thr! haha

he's got the photographer's eye..

Anonymous said...

I have tasted roasted bone marrow before? What does it taste like?

Interesting!

HairyBerry said...

yay! yay!

to me, bone marrow has this rather smokey flavour to it...an interesting alternative to foie gras. a healthier one too! haha!

teckiee said...

hm... have to cook this ah? Can I order this some where? ... Precious Pea, I know you are going to make this..I want!

GFAD said...

Don't eat beef, but have tried lamb. I used the bone from the lamb shank. As the lamb shank bone is much smaller, sometimes I don't bother with toast and just have it straight scooping with a crab spoon! Very nice, but a bit jelak after a while.

Like nic says, a good alternative to foie gras as the buttery rich oozing goodness would taste lovely on toast. Don't know about the healthier bit tho! :D

fatboybakes said...

AIYA!!!!!!!!!!!!
i love pork bone marrow!
yeah, i agree with GFAD, dunno about it being healthier than anything!

boo_licious said...

precious pea - like jelly. I would think it will be nice with a parsley salad, as it can be quite rich tasting.

leo - can buy the bones from delicious ingredients and roast at home? or go to the sup ekor stall...

ciki - hahaha, I guess Nic sees things differently from all of us.

mei teng - rich with a gelatinous texture, some will melt so it can be like liquid you mop up with the bread.

nic - I love foie gras though esp when they cut a thick slab and the crust is nice outside and it melts inside.

teckiee - sup ekor stall?

GFAD - I saw lamb ones also in delicious. Must give them a try next time I make lamb shank.

fbb - LOL, I guess this is more humane?

Angie Tan said...

I love marrow!! Always look for it in my chops. *slurp*..

Wonder if the local butchers will sell this.

wanderlust said...

Remember the 1st time I had it was at the Blue Ribbon Restaurant in New York city. Some would argue they serve the best bone marrow in the big apple, I am certainly not about to argue that point. It was serve with Brioche and Oxtail Marmalade. It was delicious. The marrow itself is jelly like fat, full of indescribable flavor. The marrow almost melt and disappear the moment you put in your mount and the Brioche soak up all the fat. The sweetness from the sauce make it less heavy and greasy. It was certainly a very "sensual" dish. YUM!

boo_licious said...

angie - am sure they do rite? since they do sup ekor and what nots.

wanderlust, you're making me drool with those descriptions....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...