Monday, September 04, 2006

Char Siu & Ipoh Kuey Teow Noodles @ Ching Hai, KL



Did you have a great weekend? Not sure whether any of you noticed but it was so nice and quiet everywhere since every one hightailed back to their hometowns or far flung holiday spots. Traffic and parking everywhere was a breeze that I wish it was always like this in Kuala Lumpur and Petaling Jaya.

To kick off a sleepy Monday from the after effects of Merdeka partying, I thought I will start out slowly with some sinful food. Char siu, to be exact as I have been recently researching where is the ultimate place for this. The last time I had it in Tengkat Tung Shin, I was recommended to try out the corner coffeeshop there called Ching Hai.

This particular coffeeshop faces Corona Inn and it's at the corner facing Ngau Kee's Beef Noodles. They offer barbeque meats, char kuey teow and Ipoh kuey teow noodles and curry mee. The char siu is not too bad in terms of taste as it has a slight sweet taste versus the overpowering sweet ones in Meng Kee which is just down the road. However, it's not a very healthy portion as it's extremely fat! They slice it extra thick here hence you can really see the layers of fat. If you don't want it too sweet, ask them to hold back their sauce which adds the sugary kick.



Another must have is the Ipoh Kuey Teow Noodles which a couple is busy ladling out bowls here as it's extremely popular here. Although it's above average, I prefer the ones found in
Soo Kee located in Petaling Jaya as I felt the soup here lacked taste and the prawn wantans were not crunchy enough. Incidentally, I have tried the char kuey teow here once and it's pretty forgettable so do avoid it.

Ching Hai Coffeeshop
Directly opposite Corona Inn and at the corner of Tengkat Tung Shin
Kuala Lumpur
(Non Halal)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+ +

10 comments:

Babe_KL said...

the stall owners super blur one leh... no way i'm gonna order from them again. they keep asking me at least 5-6 times exlcuding the 2 times i reminded them of my char siew rice. after 20 mins gone... so did the char siew!!! so cancelled my order grrrr

MeiyeN said...

i love da hor fun at sookee, pj!!!!! but their hor fun with chicken is quite pricey...

c a r c a r said...

OMG! drool over the char siew! cant find those really delicious char siew here in singapore, only can see those red red fake fake one. sigh.

wmw said...

boo_licious : I grew up in that area before I moved to PJ. The Ipoh Hor Fun couple has been there since my schooldays! Anyway, do agree with you that the Ipoh Hor Fun is ok but what I usually order from that stall is wantan mee with curry. I ask for shredded chicken, shrimp and gau choy. Lovely! The curry here is different and nice.

If you go further down from Meng Kee, you will see another shophouse that sells kuih and chee cheong fun on the five foot way. Inside, they sell curry and soup noodles (and economy rice with dishes too). The curry here is also good and bonus point is that they have the chow cheong (cripsy intestines - the only innards I will eat apart from beef tripe). ;o)

fatboybakes said...

i'm a regular at this ipoh kuey teow joint. boo, its a really bad idea to read your blog when dieting....all resolve just crumbles like a freshly baked cookie....

i prefer the char siew here to the meng kee one i think. but both are exorbitantly expensive. have u checked out the char siew in overseas restaurant in armada hotel? excellent.

backStreetGluttons said...

u do love MEATS don't u !

me 2 !

boo_licious said...

babe - yeah, she did ask me twice abt the char siu. Guess she's just forgetful.

meiyen - the food is super pricey there but yummy.

carcar - got nice Char Siu in Spore. I ate before at this place near Gateway.

wmw - thxs for the tips! The coffeeshop you mention is that the Adik Beradik Chua?

fatboybakes - aiks, you dieting? Sorry but when I visit yr blog, I also want to beli a cake. Yeah, I heard fantastic things abt Overseas char siu.

jackson - this one not bad but it's super fat though. Real heart attack food.

tonixe - only recently as looking for nice char siu.

wmw said...

boo_licious : No, the coffeeshop I mention is further down from the Adik Beradik Chua. Just head on down past Meng Kee, past ABC (hee hee...) and look for the the kuih and chee cheong fun stall on the five foot way. Looking inside into the shop (it's a cornerlot, you'll see the stall selling the noodles and economy rice.

They started selling from a tiny stall in the lane next to the shoplot but eventually bought the shoplot. If I do go there again, will take note of the name (something I never noticed since I've been eating there since I was a kid!).

Better still, we should meet up and go eat together! Ha ha ha.....

boo_licious said...

wmw - Will check it out the next time I am around the area. Eating together sounds good - the more the merrier!

Unknown said...

These are some of my favorite "comfort foods". I lovee your pictures! Where I live, there is no char siu and no good wonton soups. :( I want to reach into the computer and taste your food!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...