Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Apam Balik @ Taman Megah, Petaling Jaya




Pancakes are usually a popular breakfast item but I absolutely love the local version known as Apam Balik which comes laden with crushed peanuts and Planta margarine. You can find them at most places especially morning markets and even hawker stalls for teatime. This particular stall which my mother found by random as she occasionally shops at the Taman Megah morning market for fish is a fantastic find. She is so hooked on this pancake that she had it for her breakfast twice in a week.



Located just right at the beginning of the morning market, this young man was so quick with his hands that I had trouble taking pictures of him making the pancakes. He will basically reach for the batter that is premixed in a plastic container and add it to the hot metal pans. Subsequently he sprinkles sugar on top of the batter and lets it cook for a while. Then just before he turns it out, he sprinkles lots of crushed peanuts. A dollop of sinful Planta margarine is also added which melts into the pancake. Once all this is added, he deftly turns it out from the pan and onto his chopping board. One big piece costs RM2.80 and you can request him to slice it into four or five slices depending on your family requirements. Alternatively you can also buy them by the slice which costs RM0.70 each.


What stands out with this particular apam balik is his proportions of the peanuts, margarine and sugar. It's not too sweet plus full of yummy peanuts which I love. Every biteful makes you a severe addict to this pancake. I know I'm a convert and believe me, this will definitely be a must stop for my breakfast.

Apam Balik Stall
Taman Megah Morning Market
Directly opposite the Secret Recipe in Taman Megah

(I'm not sure which day he is off but I suspect he closes on Monday as most markets take a break on that day.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+ +

18 comments:

rokh said...

ohhhh! you found my favourite favourite stall! i am about to blog about it. you beat me to it. and now the whole world will be getting it. it got me constantly craving for it every morning!

Rasa Malaysia said...

Hi Masak-Masak,

In Penang, we call this "Bang Chang Kuih" (in Hokkien) which doesn't really mean anything.

In the US, the Malaysian restaurants here sell these too, but they use roti canai as the "shell" for the grounded peanuts and sugar, which you can imagine, are not very good. ;)

boo_licious said...

rokh - wow! I didn't know it was so popular as we just discovered it. Yeah, it's extremely addictive food as the peanut pancake combination is just so yummy.

bee yinn - yeah, that's what my mum calls it but I'm not sure if it's the smaller and crispier ones hence I decided to stick to the apam balik name. Roti canai with peanuts don't sound very nice though. Never mind, you can eat lots of this when you are back home in Msia.

MeiyeN said...

whoa....i love apam balik and i usually have it at pasar malam.. yum yum!

Babe_KL said...

this is one of my boiboi's fave snack. there's one in near my home where they uses brown sugar instead which gave a wonderful aroma to the apam balik

Rayhana said...

there's one that was really yummy too, it is in the ss2 pasar malam on mondays, also another youngster (not that young lah, perhaps 30+ now?) who sometimes wears a cap..
have u tried that one? which is better? ;)

Wandernut said...

Have you tried the one next to the Sea Park market? It's a little stall along the slope next to the market in front of a row of houses. The couple have been there for over 20 years. Maybe it's just me, but I feel their apam balik is the best around.

East-West said...

Oh boy, I love my Apam Balik :-)

For breakfast, the one outside the Seapark wet market is pretty good as well!

What A Lulu said...

wandernut, yup! the one in seapark market is excellent.
his pan is smaller, and the dough is not so thick. my friend calls it a pampered tai kow meen. pampered cos it has a fan dedicated to cooling it down.
boo, have you tried it yet?

rokh said...

ooo, i have yet to try the one in seapark, but i am sure this one beats the ss2 pasar malam ones, and most of other pasar malams, as a fanatic, i tried most of it, and still goes back to this one

boo_licious said...

meiyen - it's yummy! Read yr Jalan Sayur write up and must go try the grilled items.

babe - brown sugar sounds great.

rayhana - not tried the ss2 night market one yet but we usually eat the bangsar night market one. This one is better as he adds lots of peanuts.

jackson - original still better!

wandernut - I am sure I have tried it as my mother used to buy breakfast from there. It's been a while since I ate there but this one is much better to my tastebuds.

east west - yeah, it's pretty popular.

what a lulu - tried it long ago but I like this for the filling part.

rokh - you go try and report back which one you like? I ate the seapark one long ago but I don't remember it being as nice as this one.

boo_licious said...

sher - it u love peanuts, this is heavenly. Hope Upsie darling is fine, can't wait to read abt her adventures this weekend.

冰冰-ping said...

the apam balik..looks dedlicious!it's delicious when it's still "hot hot"
haha:)

boo_licious said...

ping - yeah, must eat this when hot. If cold, it's rubbery.

an9ie said...

Ah, Apam Balik from Brunei, how I miss thee! This is going onto my to-do list of cakes and sweets to make at home, along with curry puffs and honeycomb cake!

postmaster said...

Try Apam Balik Flaming at Giant Stadium Section 13 Shah Alam.
Many choices and very clean.
The worker use glove.
Visit http://apam-balik.blogspot.com

foongpc said...

hi just want to ask, what's the difference between apam and apam balik?

Also I notice there's one version with the crushed peanuts and it's softer, while there's another version which is crunchy and filled with santan. Are they both also called apam balik?

Hex255 said...

Been searching around for nice apam. Thank you for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...