Thursday, July 06, 2006

Snacks from Pudu



I know France has made it to the final but sorry, no French food posting today as I really don't have any in my archive. Now I am wondering if I should cook something ooh la la to celebrate this weekend's game. I'll see how as it depends on if I have the time. Instead I bring you snacks which I found when I last made a trip to the Pudu area.

I finally got lucky with my pursuit for egg tarts at Tong Kee Confectionery's headquarters. Usually, we get ours at their branch at Lai Foong on Jalan Tun HS Lee so it was my first time trying it out here. I spied a new variety - butter egg tarts but decided to stick to the original ones (RM1 each). Simply yummy and so flaky - best to be eaten when fresh. For me, these egg tarts have been the ultimate ever since I was a kid. I can still remember how I will always go to school with their coconut bun for teatime snacks.




I also tried another snack called Taufuking - deep fried tofu pieces that is mixed with shredded vegetables, crushed peanuts and a sticky rojak like sauce. You can add different ingredients to the mix i.e cuttlefish, meat floss and crispy crackers. Depending on what you add, the prices vary - this one was the full monty for RM4.50. The sign says it's a franchise but I can't seem to find anything much about it but I suspect it's probably popular at the KL pasar malams (Malay for night markets) which I don't really frequent.

The snack was very nice and crispy. I love the deep fried tofu pieces coated in the rojaklike sauce What amazed me was when you pack it back, it's all sticky and gooey but when you add in the vegetables, the consistency works as the vegetables give the snack the liquid it needs.

Tong Kee Brothers Confectionery
8, Lorong Brunei 3
Pudu
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel No: 03 - 2142 9923

Taufuking
Along Jalan Landak
Just outside the coffee shop, Restaurant Hiong Kong and facing Pudu Plaza
Next to the stall, there are rojak and apam balik stalls. Opened from 1pm onwards

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+ +

5 comments:

Rarebeet said...

I grew up eating egg tarts, kai tahn kow and chicken pie from Tong Kee! I still buy them occassionally when I am in the area. Parking is a pain though. Do you like the sponge rusks from Washinton Cake House too??

Unknown said...

U can get the tong kee egg tarts from the non halal section at jusco mid valley too..I hope its not an imitation branch or anything coz their pastry is made of lard which make them taste so good

boo_licious said...

flymeng - try the taufuking, it's nice as the tofu is fried till very crispy.

paprika - cool stuff! Hmmm, now u reminded me of the sponge rusks which I love too but I don't think we used to eat that brand.

kampungboycitygal - yeah, there are a few places you can get it. The imitation place is the one at O&S in Paramount Gardens - the fella used to sell Tong Kee egg tarts, they stopped and he never removed his signage.

GFAD said...

O&S is imitation?? No wonder I thought it didn't taste very good... How about the one at Sentosa, Sect 17(Wah Cheong Rest), do you know?

boo_licious said...

kat - yeah, it's very not the real thing! A while back, I had a chat with one of the Tong Kee people and they told me only place they now sell in PJ is in Sect 17. They used to sell in Tmn Megah, O&S plus Lim Mee Yoke but stalls closed already.

The fella in O&S never take down his Tong Kee sign and sell same stuff hence everyone said how come the egg tart not nice already.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...