Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Prawn Mee @ Jalan Pudu, Kuala Lumpur



Some days you stumble on great finds and I recently had one of those good days. I was dithering around Jalan Pudu trying to find food to fill my hungry tummy when I found this small lane with two coffee shops flanking it. If you wander up the tiny alleyway past the cloth shops, embroidery shops, the Indian rojak and cendol man and etc, you will hit the Pudu Market.

I headed towards the shop which is right next to the hardware shop as it was super busy during lunchtime. A quick observation of the place indicated it was the Prawn Mee (Har Meen or Mee Yoke in Chinese) stall which was doing brisk business hence I ordered a small bowl (RM3.50) to try. The stall is run by a Chinese couple who was non stop doling out bowls and bowls of the noodles. They will assemble the ingredients at the stall depending on what toppings you want, cook the noodles and then turn around to a huge metal vat to spoon the piping hot prawn broth over it. As I was sitting near their stall, I had fun observing them and could see a variety of different toppings you could request for: big prawns, chicken meat which is shredded or chopped, pork slices, fishballs in a form of a long flatcake, chicken liver and etc.

Everyone was adding ingredients to their noodles making mine really plain that I was itching to order another bowl chock full of the ingredients. Based on the sign at their stall a large bowl will cost RM4.50 while the big prawns will cost RM6.50. What I love about these noodles is the prawn broth it came with - extremely sweet and delicious that I drank every spoonful of it. It's not thick but so full of flavours that you'll want to ask the couple to add more soup to your noodles. Do give this place a try as the prawn mee is delicious.


Coffeeshop next to Thean Fah Hardware Shop
506, Jalan Pudu
Kuala Lumpur

(Open from breakfast to lunchtime. Closed on Mondays. If you are coming from Pudu Jail, it's on the left hand side after the Jalan Pasar turn off.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with: +

4 comments:

tankiasu said...

The couple selling the prawn noodle is my close family friend. I used to stay right opposite the restaurant. I'm surprised only now you gotta tried it as they are pretty well-known among food lovers. Anyway, do try the Heun Kee Claypot Chicken Rice, about 100 metres from this prawn noodle stall. It is on Jalan Yew, right next to the roundabout. Its a must try I can assure you.

boo_licious said...

tankiasu - slowly eating away, so many good stuff to try out. Yeah, I saw Heun Kee Claypot Rice and will chk it out one day.

flymeng - thxs!

Unknown said...

ADUH!!!!

Michael Khor said...

It seems the original prawn mee sellers have moved to Kuchai Lama although I don know exactly where. There is now a pretender called Aunty Lora prawn mee in its place. Do try to find out where and share word of the new location.
cheers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...