Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Cendol @ Gerai Minuman Weng Kee, PJ



It's hot, hot, hot in Kuala Lumpur every day and there does not seem to be any rain in sight. Time to recontinue looking for things to cool down to survive this weather. Even the cats are suffering from the heat and they love to retreat into the air-conditioned room to sleep away the hot afternoons.

I often visit the Medan Selera in Petaling Jaya Old Town as it brings back nostalgic memories for me. I can still remember eating there when I was a kid as it was a favourite hangout for my dad and he used to take us to eat Thong Kee's "pai kuat wong" - super long ribs and the Nyonya tong sui and desserts was a must. Sadly both places are no longer there as Thong Kee had shifted to SS2 and subsequently to their current place in Paramount Gardens while the Nyonya desserts place has totally dissapeared.

Nowadays, my favourite hang out place is the chicken rice stall called Kie Kie - serves really reasonably priced chicken rice, only RM3.50 for a chicken leg rice. Whenever I am there, a must order used to be the ais kacang but I recently discovered the cendol in a glass (RM1.80). They pile a layer of cendol and red beans at the bottom of the glass which is topped with shaved ice. Gula melaka syrup (palm sugar) and evaporated milk is added to the shaved ice for taste. Slurp it down with a straw and you'll cool down instantly. What I love about this cendol is unlike the Indian version, their shaved ice is very fine so it's great to slurp down. The two drink stalls serve this cendol but I prefer the one at Weng Kee instead.

Gerai Minuman Weng Kee
Lot 46, Medan Selera Petaling Jaya Old Town
Jalan Othman
Petaling Jaya

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with: +

5 comments:

dDonkey said...

*yum* *yum* I love going to that place for ABC and ice-kacang. :)

Man,now I wanna go! ;)
Thanks a lot, babe. haha. :D

mh said...

RM 3.50 for a chicken leg rice? it's so cheap! Btw, I've tried chendol at Kinrara hawker center before, I always insist to have it in "cup" and it tastes quite nice also.

boo_licious said...

flymeng - that kueh stall sounds like the one we used to go too.

ddonkey - I love that place too.

tekko - yeah, it's the cheapest place in PJ for chicken rice. Portion not huge though. The chicken rice place also serves yummy curry.

Unknown said...

Looks sooooooo cool. I love the cendol with kidney beans from Pudu market. Top class!!!

boo_licious said...

puspha - rarely go Pudu mkt, must try that one day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...