Thursday, July 13, 2006

Nasi Padang @ Restoran Sari Ratu, Desa Pandan, KL



I'm kinda hooked on Nasi Padang hence during the weekend, we decided to explore Desa Pandan. The place is a hub for Nasi Padang restaurants as in one square of shophouses, there are three different outlets at each row facing each other. When you drive in from McDonald's, the first one on your left is Sari Bunda, go straight and turn right and you will see Sari Ratu. Facing Sari Ratu at shophouses across is Restoran Sederhana. Although some of you recommended us Sari Bunda, we decided to try out Sari Ratu since it was the one that was thoroughly packed that day with Indonesians.

We ordered a variety of small dishes from the counter - first was the Ayam Pop (RM6++) which is kampung chicken (free range chicken) that has been soaked in brine and then deep fried. It's served with tapioca leaves and a sauce akin to rojak. Slightly different way of serving it here as usually they give a chilli sauce instead.


This was my favourite - crunchy baby eels (RM7++) (Belut Balada in Malay/Indonesian) that is deep fried and coated in a chilli sauce. You may think it's strange but they taste great. Even Splashie Boy who hates these wriggly stuff liked it.


The Dendeng Daging (RM5.50++) i.e thin beef slices fried till crispy and served with chili sauce. Although this was better than Salero Negori, I still did not like this one as it wasn't paper thin enough to make it crispy.


Their rendang daging (RM5.50++) is pretty good too and I love the sauce which is great with rice.


Splashie Boy insisted we have these Sayur Buncis (RM3.50++) (Long Beans in Malay/Indonesian) which is his favourite. It's cooked in a creamy curry that is like sayur lodeh. Out of all the Nasi Padang places we have been, this version is his favourite.


I had to have my Sayur Pucuk Paku (RM3.50++) (Fern Leaftops) - my essential whenever I eat Nasi Padang. This version is very creamy and packs a punch with the green chillies.


Another must have when you visit a Nasi Padang outlet - Alpokat Juice (RM6++) that is made from Indonesian avocados and is drizzled with chocolate sauce. The juice is so thick that one is enough to fill you up.


Don't forget dessert - Indonesia's version of our Ais Kacang i.e. their Ice Teler (RM6++) that is topped with avocado, coconut slices, palm seeds, jackfruit and pink colour sago. Really yummy stuff.

Besides these dishes we ordered, we saw other tables ordering Fish Head Curry, Ikan Percik (grilled fish), Ikan Nilam Goreng (Fried fish) and etc. One table next to us had so many dishes that they were hard pressed to look for space on their table. From what I gather, Sari Ratu is a popular chain of Nasi Padang restaurants in Indonesia. They have three outlets in Malaysia: one in Jalan Sultan Ismail, this one in Desa Pandan and their latest one at Ampang Waterfront in Taman Kosas. The food here is pricier than Salero Negori but more authentic. I guess with more and more Nasi Padang places we try, we will get a better feel of the different tastes and budgets offered.

Restoran Sari Ratu
No. G26-G28, Jalan 4/76C
Desa Pandan
Kuala Lumpur
Tel No: 03 - 9285 8811/ 8831

GF 42-2, Jalan Sultan Ismail
Bukit Bintang
Kuala Lumpur
Tel No: 03 - 2141 1811

No. 26, Ampang Waterfront
Taman Kosas, Ampang
Kuala Lumpur

(We got very lost trying to drive towards the restaurant. Luckily we had the telephone number of the place so they gave us directions. At the Pandan Indah flyover (i.e. after RHB Bank Bhd's headquarters on Jalan Tun Razak turn left.) Go straight and turn left, do not go up the ramp. Go straight, you will pass by flats on the left hand side and shophouses on the right hand side. When you see an Esso petrol station on your left hand side, turn right at the traffic lights. You can also see a McDonalds on the right, turn left at the shophouses at the McDonalds and drive straight down. Take a right turn and you will see Sari Ratu. When you drive down the road after the McDonalds' turn off, you will see Sari Bunda on your left hand side.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:

18 comments:

fatboybakes said...

swoooon....... looks soooo good. sometimes ah, i wonder if it'll be a let down...dunno if its your photography that is so brilliant, or if the food itself also matches up to the expectations. must try, must try.

boo_licious said...

fatboybakes - yeah, I can understand that. Sometimes, I tend to reject pixs I took of food which tastes so so but look so nice when I put up a review. Long time no blog - no cakes baked?

firethorn said...

I see that you are also reading Sophie Kinsella's book. I was hooked on her books for the past few months, and has bought her entire Shopaholics series. Her books have gave me many reading pleasure s while sitting in the airplane or a nice bedtime read.

If you haven't read the rest of her books, I suggest you get them too! :)

boo_licious said...

firethorn - read all her bks already but managed to get the latest one recently. Thought it was appropriate for the blog too since it was abt food!

Collecting Moments said...

wow,the drink n dessert look yummy. I really have to try nasi padang, after reading so many of yur reviews. I got to put this into the todo list :D

Lisa said...

Oh, I want the long beans immediately. And I'm completely blown away by the avocado-chocolate dessert (the photo is stunning, too!).

boo_licious said...

jackson - I didn't take the pixs this time, bf did since the light was better from where he sat.

honey star - do try it out. If you like Nasi Campur then it will be great.

lisa - Indonesian avocados are really yummy! Very creamy and somehow choc sauce and avocados are a match made in heaven.

SkyJuice said...

I've been to Sari Ratu at Desa Pandan. Didn't think highly of the food quality. I suppose it depends on what you order. The crunchy baby eels weren't too bad. Didn't feel like eating eels at all! Dendeng was too dry, unlike the big, juicy and tender ones I had in S'pore a few times. Must try the alpokat juice & ice teler someday. Thanks, Boo.

SkyJuice said...

Oh, I almost forgot. Likewise, I thought the rendang daging was quite good.

GFAD said...

Ooh..I love avocado juice!! Got hooked ever since I had it at that Indo rest (what was its name?? closed down already..pity) at 1Utama. But all the Sari Ratu outlets very far away...nothing in PJ??

GFAD said...

Just saw your post on Salero Negori...

BTW, do you know where we can get good pucuk paku around Taman Tun? I remember reading in one of the blogs but can't remember where. Is it Muhibbah?

boo_licious said...

skyjuice - I thought dendeng must be crispy? Think these are not sliced finely enough hence it's tough. I think Sari Ratu's food is ok but Natrabu is much better.

kat - Yeah, try Salero Negori. Muhibbah at TTDI has good pucuk paku kerabu - made with a dash of coconut milk and chilli padis.

Unknown said...

Wah!!! This is near my house lah hehehe. Next time u can come & visit me there.

boo_licious said...

puspha - really? Wow, we got really lost around the area though as we rarely go near that place.

Joe said...

I went to Jakarta a few months ago... I tried Sari Ratu in Senayan Plaza. I haven't tried in KL yet, maybe after Raya... I want to compare which want better... Arghhh...

maxcobmara said...

oh was at Ampang waterfront a few days ago, as described but err don't go for dinner... its great for lunch.

JOHNSON ONG said...

i went there (Desa Pandan) two days ago, the environment is very good and the charge rate is very reasonable as well... good!

JoinMe.com.my said...

Hi boo_licious,
Kindly be informed that this post has been reprinted on JoinMe.com.my, thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...