Monday, July 13, 2009

Seafood & Fish Noodles @ B & Best, SS4, Petaling Jaya


delish and very fresh red snapper fish & oysters noodles (RM15)

One hopes to get back to the groove of daily blogging this coming week. Apologies for last week's hitch since I was busy and a little too tired to blog every night. This week, it is not going to be easier though (shuttling from 2 houses, as I'm house-sitting) but hopefully I get a little better organised (fingers and toes crossed). On to this place, which I has been on my "to-do" list for some time but I never got around until recently, when I was around Kelana Jaya for work. A favourite of
KY Speaks, this place may not offer the cheapest or the best value of noodles in town (cheapskates, please avoid this!) but it works for me since they serve fresh stuff and a kick-ass sambal belacan I can't get enough of.

the yummy sambal belacan & oyster on a noodle strand

They serve a variety of fish here (red snapper and the large grouper fish known as loong tan) that you can choose to eat with clear soup, tomyam soup and even porridge. Being a little greedy always when I dine here, I've only gone for the special stuff and not the usual fishball noodles. I can never resist oysters and seeing them in a bowl on a counter, I ordered a portion with my red snapper fish slices - absolutely light & delish. The clear soup is served with vegetables, seaweed and preserved radish or choy poh to add flavour to the soup. Even though the soup is not super sweet, it still has traces of MSG (detected after a few hours). Nevertheless, you can counteract this with a dose of coffee or coca cola.

turn up the spice with the tomyam version (assorted seafood noodles for RM12)

For those who prefer a spicier alternative, they recently added tomyam soup to their repertoire. It may not knock your socks off but the soup is still tangy and delicious. For these noodles, I had the assorted seafood - a mix of lala, 3 white prawns (not very big but fresh) with fish pieces. Alternatively, order the clear soup version and eat it with the sambal belacan packed with chillies and loads of flavour from the dried shrimp paste. I'm addicted to it, even eating it on its own.

B & Best Restaurant
No.12, Jalan SS4C/5
Taman Rasa Sayang
Petaling Jaya

Tel: 012-295 8948

(Non halal. Place opens for breakfast and lunch. Closed every alternate Thursdays. Best part of dining here is the ease of getting parking. To get here from the LDP, if you're traveling from Sunway towards PJ, take the exit near Giant Kelana Jaya, where the Shell Station is on the left hand side. At the traffic light, take a right and the first right turn. Go straight and take a left hand turn at Jalan SS4C/5, you will pass by a petrol station on the left hand side, take a first left and the shophouse is at the corner.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.

Others who have also dined here:

16 comments:

Ciki said...

the chili looks kick ass hot! i like the fish coz it looks clean, boneless, bitesize!

UnkaLeong said...

I stumbled upon this place for dinner once when the traffic back home from the LRT station was horrid. Dinner is pretty cheap and good as well. Must visit soon for the seafood noodles!

sc said...

i tried the giant grouper too..the flesh is definitely rougher, but the skin texture was very nice..

Rarebeet said...

The fish fillets in the first picture looks unreal! Sounds like food that nourishes the soul eh? PJ, can do!

KY said...

my favorite is their long dan (giant grouper) and of course the super best sambal. been going there at least on alternate weekends. :D

foodbin said...

it not that pricey for all those fresh ingredients.

J2Kfm said...

loong tan is the Estuary Grouper or something right?
damn huge fish, kinda intimidating.
saw that in Hong Kong once.

thule a.k.a leo said...

for the price... considered OK for PJ's standard! I have also read another outlet serving similar dishes in Damansara Kim... and since u r not a big fan of MSG... it should fit your bill as it's completely free of Ajinamoto :)

eiling lim said...

I am so hungry now and of all times I've to read this during lunch time! such a distraction to my liquid diet!

boo_licious said...

ciki - the chili is damn shiok. I was eating it with my tomyam as it was so addictively good.

Unkaleong - dinnertime is a tai chow shop I think.

sc - I've always loved that fish esp the way they cook it at Elegant Inn, braised with loads of aromatics.

Paprika - PJ definitely has a good choice of food and yes, you don't need passport to venture here.

KY - must go this week and try the long dan. It was my first choice but I was tempted by the oysters hence I switched my order to a cheaper fish. The sambal is sooooooo good.

foodbin - true, but some people won't pay extra for their bowl of noodles.

j2kfm - u saw that in HK? sounds huge as I've only eaten the cut ones. Seems to be very popular in Perak as I had it a few times in Ipoh and Taiping.

thule - where's this place in Dsara Kim? The one called River fish?

eiling - tweak that liquid diet to seafood diet and you can enjoy this?

email2me said...

The noodle here pawn Segambut Yu Ai's seafood noodle. When I was there for the first time, my friend (Gal) throw away the long dan fish skin. I nearly fainted. XD

thule a.k.a leo said...

aiya... I forgot la.. but I'm planning to go this weekend... inform you after that???

minchow said...

The clear soup one looks so good, just jumping with freshness! Even without the usual muck that accompanies the traditional fish head noodles, I think it's love at first sight!

Huai Bin said...

I eat here quite often too, considering it's VERY near where I work (and live). ;)

FooDcrazEE said...

omg - the chilli looks absolutely delish . . . .

boo_licious said...

email2me - aiks! You shld have stopped him and offered to eat it for him.

thule - ok, sounds good.

550ml - go go go!

Huai Bin - lucky you to live around here. Wish I did then I can eat it all the time.

foodcrazee - hee hee, stop drooling! Just go and try it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...