Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fried Laksa @ Well Cook Gourmet, Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya


try this unusual fried laksa (RM5.50)

I get bored easily, hence after a couple of days of ho-hum food around the office, I start itching to try something different. Talking about new things (as usual, I divert from today's food topic), I heard an interesting tidbit during lunchtime - Godiva is opening a branch at Suria KLCC (next to CPK aka California Pizza Kitchen). Whoopee! as this means getting those luxe chocs from a decent place versus the KLIA terminal. Also heard that Bukhara has closed and will be replaced by Harrods. I doubt it is the full fledged version - probably just a small place selling jams, biscuits and souvenirs from the ever famous department store.

popiah (RM4.50) is a good choice too

Okay, back to today's food topic, an interesting dish known as fried laksa. Discovered by my colleague who lives in Subang Jaya, this is a dry version of the ever popular assam laksa using all those familiar elements - lai fun, tangy and spicy chilli paste, mint leaves, shredded bunga kantan, cucumbers and onions. Not all the ingredients in the laksa are adopted though as the har koh (pungent prawn paste) and fish slivers are missing in this interpretation. Instead I found boneless chicken pieces and prawns within the fried noodles.

I tend to like the spicy and tangy kick of the fried noodles, hence I hanker for this once in a blue moon even though I find it a bit pricey for the size they serve you with. The popiah is something I usually order too. Not fantastic tasting but a decent wrapped version using a pale coloured shredded yambean instead of the brown version. Service is quite fast, and you get to see the workers preparing food in a clean environment as they have an open kitchen.

Restaurant Well Cook Gourmet
74, Jalan SS 14/2
Subang Jaya

(Pork free. Restaurant opens from 12 noon to 9pm. This restaurant is at the same row as the bak kut teh stalls in Subang Jaya and Eat-zy Teochew porridge)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:


Other review:

20 comments:

Ciki said...

wow... dry version of the assam laksa.. must be pungent, sour and potent, no? does it taste as spicy and fishy as it looks?

boo_licious said...

cumi & ciki - not so much pungent but spicy and slightly sour from the lime you squeeze in. No fishy smell either.

Precious Pea said...

Interesting! I never heard of dry laksa before. Have you tried fried porridge?

Fulltime Mom said...

OOOO.... the dry laksa looks interesting. I have passed this shop many times, but never stopped as I didn't know it was pork-free. Will try it tomorrow!

MochaSourcream said...

In Subang Jaya?? Good good. Near to me... will try the interesting fried laksa soon...

backStreetGluttons said...

this will then become the unhealthy fatty oily blackie upstart against the healthy goodieoldy ori !

minus the slurping sound. This really cannot do

ling239 said...

hmm... laksa also can fried ah ~ ^_^

HairyBerry said...

i've tried "superior soup" ckt in singapore before..but laksa, that sounds new. an improved version of maggi mee goreng? ;D

fatboybakes said...

haha, so nice or not, the fried laksa? i think i'll take my laksa with soup la though.

boo_licious said...

precious pea - hmmm, not tried fried porridge, sounds very interesting!

fulltime mom - yup, came up in a NST article that it is pork free.

mochasourcream - this kind of stuff, you either love or hate it.

BSG - I try to think of it as noodles vs assam laksa as the best thing is missing - the tangy soup which I can slurp down till the last drop.

ling239 - I guess, they were trying to be different.

nic - oooh, superior soup ckt sounds like ipoh sar hor fun???

fbb - not bad tasting but of course, can't hold a candle to tangy asam laksa soup.

choi yen said...

I think I still prefer asam laksa with soup~~

Fulltime Mom said...

I had it, it was good. Different from Asam laksa, but good nonetheless, and of course, less healthy! :) the fried mee sua was also yummy.

J2Kfm said...

hmm, wonder why they leave the prawn paste out. still should goes well with the noodles, no?

but indeed something different. Penang has various intepretations of fried porridge.

boo_licious said...

mimi - yeah, soup will be better but think of this as a new type of noodles?

fulltime mom - glad you liked it! I didn't think much of the mee sua though, not much wok hei.

j2kfm - I guess too pungent the taste, since it is not soup that can dilute it?

myCoffee said...

Great! Another recommendation in SJ to check out!

boo_licious said...

mycoffee - hope it meets your approval esp since you are the tai kar jeh of that area.

Ms One Boobie said...

I missed popiah so much.. but good popiahs were hard to find in singapore.. :(

Sillie Piggie said...

...i used to eat this every day for a month during the college times. at least the food there. its not bad. LOLx

Anonymous said...

oh..quite surprise to see above comment.
anyway this is my side of the story.
i love eating at this place with my family. foods are fantastic! kampung fried rice, fried kuay teow, fried laksa, asam laksa, tom yam, claypot chicken rice, popiah are my favs. they serve other local penang food as well. wat impressed me the most is the cleanliness. super clean, the floor, table and environment are very clean. cleanliness is so important to me, some restaurant the table is smelly itself, sometimes the worker is smelly with odor but this restaurant is so clean. i have a unique way to inspect the cleanliness of the restaurant, check out the table cloth they use to clean and wipe the table. this restaurant’s table cloth is white and clean! omg! never see restaurant with such table cloth for a very long time. :) . only complain, open late and close early.

Anonymous said...

nice place and very clean.

http://foursquare.com/venue/1367387

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...