Friday, July 04, 2008

Japanese Food @ Shun, Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya

Photobucket
enticing you to order the menu specials

I thought I'll end this week, with Japanese food - a new place I found last weekend. I have been eyeing this particular place for some time, but somehow, due to the lack of parking spaces (it faces SJMC hence parking is always a problem and if there is a function at the Sheraton Hotel nearby, it gets worst!). I finally managed to persuade Splashie Boy to give it a try one night and luckily, we managed to get parking quite easily.

Photobucket
superb yakitori from the yakitori house

I have been curious to try this place as I heard pretty good comments about it plus, I wanted to see if they were the same people who used to have a Japanese restaurant on the 1st floor. I finally confirmed my suspicions, as they told me they had expanded their business. A quick look at the menu reconfirmed it too, as they are one of the few Japanese places that serves oden in town (the last time I dined here, I ate oden).

Photobucket
a very simple meal, chazuke

We sat at the sushi bar - which was wide and quite spacey. Only problem is you can't really see much action as they put a bamboo stick on top of the counter, stuck with paper on their menu items. Nevertheless, it was still quite pleasant to sit there. While, we sat there, I spied the Yakitori House at the side, hence I decided to order a few skewers.

Photobucket
yummy food - grilled mushrooms

Unlike other places, the menu here is more varied with yakitori, oden mingled with Malaysian favourites of sashimi, sushi, teppanyaki and etc. While Splashie Boy ordered his Wagyu Beef Set (RM40++), I went for a varied selection of a bit here and there.

Photobucket
yakitori anyone???

First was a Chazuke - rice topped with salted cod roe and mixed with green tea. Nice and refreshing, it felt like eating "nasi air", since you mix everything together and eat it. Sorry, I can't really remember how much it costs (as I lost the receipt!) but it should have been in the region of RM10 to RM15++. Next it was a yummy grilled mixed mushrooms served in a foil packet. Delish stuff, with enoki, eringi, shitake and a few vegetables all mixed up together.

Photobucket
the best ever - tsukune which I will be coming back for more

Next, they served my yakitori skewers - the Tsukune and Japanese green peppers. The tsukune - a kind of minced chicken wrapped round the skewer was excellent - smoky from the grill and really juicy. The minced chicken had bits of herbs to give loads of flavour. I'll definitely go back for more of this, as this was the best ever I tasted. The green peppers were okay, nothing fantastic but a nice light snack.

Photobucket
not a great pix but the wagyu is very good

Last but not least, Splashie Boy's set came. I didn't quite like the look of the meat mingling with the vegetables and topped with a garlicky sauce but he loved it. Once I scrapped away the garlicky sauce and ate the wagyu beef slice, I knew why he enjoyed it so much - the beef was tender. Great value for RM40 since it came with a full meal.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Shun and it won't be my last time visiting here. I'll probably come back and order oden, one of my favourites in Japanese cuisine - their version of yong tau foo. More skewers of tsukune will also be in the order. We also spied other specials on display - tuna carpaccio for RM15++. wagyu for reasonable prices. Definitely a good find to relish Japanese food.

Shun Japanese Restaurant
No. 4A, Jalan SS 12/1B
Subang Jaya
Petaling Jaya

Tel: 03 - 5637 9186

(Pork free. restaurant the same row as Dominos and the Windmill restaurant. Opposite SJMC.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+


Other reviews:

14 comments:

ling239 said...

For RM40, i would like to try that wagyu beef set too !! ^_^

worldwindows said...

Wagyu for RM40++ is unbelievable and unheard off though the pic shows portion may be less than that of a steak order. More like RM80++ minimum. I went there once but there was a lot of people smoking. Another time I could not detect. Hope they will have al fresco for smokers.

J2Kfm said...

oh so reasonably priced wagyu! though looks pretty ordinary, I'm sure it;s well worth the RM40 paid.

how much were the skewers?

sc said...

looks fantastic! wanna try the yakitoris too, i can almost taste it while reading your post..haha

Jason said...

The wagyu and tsukune look fantastic.

myCoffee said...

Still remember going to this place when it was just a no-frill "hole-in-the-wall" outlet upstairs where 80-90% of its clientele was Japanese. It was like stepping into a different world then. *lol*

daphne said...

hehe. funny enough, it's the grilled mushrooms that got my attention!

Doroshi said...

Thanks for posting tis up. Gona try it out since is near my place. :) 40rm+ is a good deal for wagyu beef dish! Definitely gona try! Hear the japanese restaurant in great eastern mall in ampang wont b tat cheap.

Unknown said...

everything looks so good.find the pricing quite reasonable too.must bug kgboy to bring me there

Sugar Bean said...

We've been there too. Quite a nice place for Japanese food. A nice place for a drink too. Next time we shall try their tsukune!

boo_licious said...

ling239 - hope you make it there...

worldwindows - it wasn't too smoky that day when we ate. Maybe weekends are better since less Jap people?

j2kfm - skewers were abt RM5 for the tsukune, cheaper for the peppers.

sc - I love the food here, since they serve unusual stuff. Makes a change from sushi and sashimi.

jason - hope u get to visit soon?

mycoffee - yeah, I went that time and it was such a culture shock to find a place like this in Subang.

daphne - those were also great, we shared the lot but I kinda wish, it was all mine.

squirrelicious - you talking abt Kiku Zakura? Think that one serves interesting sets. I used to eat at the Midvalley branch which was not bad.

citygal - hope u persuade kampungboy!

sugar bean - I saw the sake bottles, loads of them on the shelves, hence I can imagine it to be good.

Julian Si said...

Shun's always good, but I heard there has been a change of chef since my visit in mid-07 ... Must return to re-try. But there's always RAKUZEN not far away as well, slurp slurp!

Thanks for the link to my lil' blog ...

PureGlutton said...

Wow...must definitely try this place out soon!

Doroshi said...

The one in ampang great eastern mall is call Daidomon. :) not kiku zakura.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...