Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Yong Tau Foo @ Madras Lane, Petaling Street, Kuala Lumpur



Walking around Madras Lane's market just off Petaling Street is always fun. There's always so much activity around the stalls. You see the fishmongers handling huge fishes that are specially ordered by restaurants. Fish is always super fresh around here that my family often make special trips here to get our supplies. As the market consists of four lanes which intersect in the middle like a cross, you can enter from four different entrances. There's the one along Petaling Street, across from Sze Ngan Chai who sells yummy roast duck. Then there's a small and lesser used entrance next to Hotel Malaya and one along Jalan Tun HS Lee near the Chinese temple. Finally there's one which leads to a carpark area which houses all the food stalls.



I often eat around here whether it's the
chee cheong fun at the stainless steel table or the assam laksa and curry laksa. Here the curry laksa is the thick type and topped with sinful pork skin. At the end of the lane, you have the ais kacang, cendol and drinks people. With a multitude of stalls here and limited seating spaces, there's heated rivalry for customers. If you choose the wrong table to sit at, beware of nasty scenes with the stall owners. For those of you who are not sure, ask the stall owners where you can sit when you order.

This time round I tried the yong tau foo stall. Like all yong tau foo places, there is constant activity at the stall with all the preparation. At one end you have large woks filled to the brim with hot oil while helpers prepare the items for frying by filling the vegetables with fish paste. I chose a small selection of items and was surprised that it was served in a bowl of broth made from soy beans. I totally did not expect even the fried items to be placed inside the broth hence it was soggy rather than crispy. At 80 sens a piece, the yong tau foo was a pretty good size but I felt that the items weren't too fantastic. The only item I really liked was the bittergourd which was bursting with fish paste. Incidentally, if you wish to order yong tau foo here, it's easy to spot their tables as their disposable wooden chopsticks and plastic spoons are placed on top of it.

Yong Tau Foo Stall
Madras Lane
Off Petaling Street
Kuala Lumpur

(Non Halal)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+

Other reviews:

12 comments:

Babe_KL said...

hmmm fresh post off the oven haha... i just ate here before Wesak Day but did not take any pics cos my ex-boss was with me :p

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

this place is rather near my office, and when I'm willing to brave the heat, you can find me stuffing my face here. The curry laksa is also good.

Timothy said...

When I saw your article on Madras Lane, I recalled writing a comment on it somewhere ...

For a moment, I thought it was like dejavu or something. Then I realised that i actually wrote it in MeiYen's blog. Talk about fast ! You guys do cover each other fast huh.... Good stuff man, good stuff !

boo_licious said...

babe - I thought a blogger wrote abt this long ago but somehow couldn't find it when I searched for it.

lemongrass - hee hee! Yeah, it can get a bit hot in there.

timlow - I actually tried this the same time when I ate the chee cheong fun at Cecil Street long ago. Seeing Mei Yen's pixs reminded me I have them in the folder.

Tummythoz said...

I just hate it when stall owners are possessive about tables. Very stressful.

MeiyeN said...

that day we were there, da fried items were placed on another small plate.. maybe because my bf did asked them to separate it.. i guess tummythoz is right... quite stressful but not to worry, if you sit at da right table, you gonna be able to enjoy da food there, especially da curry laksa...

fatboybakes said...

i love the YTF here, and whenever we have parties, we tahpau from here, but talk about acksy backsy man!!!!
i hope places like madras lane survive the ravages of time. my mother who shops in petaling street market tells me the vendors there bemoan the slow sales....

wushukid said...

After I read this I went for yongtaufoo! Also very crowded. There aint many yongtaufoo place in my hometown so have to bear with it.

Rush Murad said...

I loooove Malaysian food! We are so lucky to live in a multi-racial country which offers multitude arrays of delicious food... aren't we?

boo_licious said...

tummythoz - well can't blame them also as that place is super small.

meiyen - yup I guess one must ask for it to be seperated as mine came in one bowl of soup.

fbb - yeah, this is definitely a must stay of Petaling Street. Dunno why the more they are famous, the more they get a bit action.

kumpung boy - Glad it inspired you to eat yong tau foo and you enjoyed it.

rush murad - yes we are! So much to eat esp if you don't mind other cuisines.

Salt N Turmeric said...

isnt it great to be able to eat whtever u want anytime u want? sigh. thank god for rasa malaysia and meltingwok coz i got my doses of ytf fr them. ;)

Julian Si said...

I was feeling like Yong Tau Foo ... decided to look this up on Google, and found your old post on this yummy eatery!

Cheers from Abu Dhabi :-)

ps - Love that photo of how much painstaking care is taken to prepare the dish!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...