Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Japanese Food @ Mizu, Bangsar Village I, Kuala Lumpur



Since I started planning Mother's Day at the last minute (I had no idea whether my mother would be in town or in Beijing), I had very few options. I knew it had to be Japanese since it's my mother's favourite. None of the hotels were free as they had their Mother Day's promotions and buffets since it was also Sunday. We wanted to try Wa-raku or the new place, Fukuya but sadly they're all closed on Sunday hence we ended up at Mizu which was nearby.



Our first time trying out this place as we usually walk past it whenever we're at Bangsar Village. Lighting at the table we sat wasn't so great especially with the white table hence the slight yellowish tinge. As they were super busy with the influx of people celebrating Mother's Day, service was pretty scant. Had to wave a few times and shock! horror they didn't even respond when you clap your hands. I hope it's just a one off thing as the food was really good.



My mother was totally happy with her Salmon Sashimi (RM30++) - five luscious pieces of thickly cut salmon. So happy that I didn't dare snap a picture of it as she wanted to eat it straight away. We ordered her a bowl of rice seperately as that's what she loves with her salmon sashimi. I was keen to try the a la carte dishes but then I spied the Salmon Ikura Don Set (RM28++) which is a rare item in most Japanese places. Since I love sushi rice - rice mixed with vinegar, I really liked this combination with thin slices of salmon sashimi and slightly salty ikura (fish roe). Each set came with the wobbly and silky smooth chawan mushi. I reckon they use a higher proportion of water versus egg here to achieve the super smooth texture as there was quite a lot of liquid on top of the egg.



Splashie Boy had to have his beef hence he ordered the Beef Shogayaki Set (RM28++) which had wafer thin slices of fried beef mixed with shredded onion. He really liked the dish which went well with the rice and pickles. We also ordered the Mizu Maki (RM35++), one of their recommended dishes. Somehow our order got mixed up and this arrived way after we had finished our meal. Although I was cheesed off about waiting for it, I must admit it was worth the wait as it was excellent. The reverse roll had melt in the mouth avocado and unagi with tempura prawn drizzled with a mild creamy sauce topped with tobiko. Even my mother was super impressed with the maki and we relished every bite.

I'm glad we tried the food here as it's really good and wouldn't mind returning here. The menu is not too extensive but I did spy a heavy use of foie gras in quite a few items - in chawan mushi, with radish and even fried rice. Hopefully service is much better the next time.

Mizu
L6, First Floor
Bangsar Village I
Jalan Telawi Satu
Bangsar
Kuala Lumpur

Tel No: 03 - 2283 6988

(Pork Free.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with: +

Other reviews:

18 comments:

wmw said...

Hee hee...my mom already well trained. Like my friends, sometimes even helps out in arranging the food. The Mizu Maki sounds yummylicious!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

OMG!! The moment I entered your blog, my heart skipped a beat. Everything looks delicious! Thanks for doing this review...else I would never have walked in there. Prices are also very reasonable.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

this looks fab..and affordable as well!..i normally order the chirashi sushi..so dis looks like a battle between ur salmon ikura don now..haha

boo_licious said...

wmw - my mother is ok with me taking pixs but I think she really wanted to eat the salmon sashimi hence I thought better not say I want to snap pixs.

lemongrass - the food is good and I also thought prices were reasonable. Definitely another place to visit when I'm at Bangsar.

joe - you're like me, I love chirashi sushi too and this is always the next best thing for me. Not many places serve this so whenever I see it, I must order. The sets are for lunch, dinner is a different selection.

tihtahpah said...

is this at the Bangsar Village I or II? the food looks great!

boo_licious said...

tihtahpah - Bangsar Village I.

Babe_KL said...

just like lemongrass, we dared not walk in, everything looked so expensive and fragile. not a good thing wid a kid in tow haha but hopefully we'll brave ourselves in one day

sc said...

a couple of my frens tried this place and said the food was so so..hence i never thot of trying..but after your review, i may try it after all

Precious Pea said...

The salmon looks good...oooohh..and the beef. Another great post to show hubby again. Salmon and beef are his fav. Thanks boo!

MeiyeN said...

hooray! new jap rest.... omg, i wanna have that salmon and i bet my fiance gonna love da fish roe topping!!!! :D l

Elaine said...

oh my...that sushi looks really good. It's wrapped with unagi, am i right?

boo_licious said...

babe - hope you visit it. Makes a change from the two cafes.

sc - Ah, sometimes I guess it's also dependent on what they ordered. No harm trying it one day.

precious pea - have fun with yr trip. Am sure you will get to eat lots of yum food.

meiyen - hope you like it and hopefully the service is better.

the expedited writer - yes avocado and unagi reversed i.e. with the nori inside vs the usual ones outside.

Unknown said...

i luv the black sesame and white sesame ice cream in Mizu :)

Unknown said...

Hey Boo,

Your blog is a gastronomical mecca and as the sole custodian, you're honourably bestowed as the High Priestess of Epicurean Holiness!

Hats off and I prostrate myself in jaw-dropping humility...

Now all supremacy aside ... I would like to refer to a bakeshop by the name of Guten Braun where you managed to obtain a certain cooking chocolate of German pedigree (a substantially archived post...my bad...sorry)...

Mind telling me where its exact location is with landmarks as guides ... I have the address but I could never fathom PJ codes ...

Also ... asides from Gourmandines...any other sources for Valrhona that you know of ?

Thanks a bunch,

Jay

evr said...

u mentioned something about a place called fukuya. I've heard about it as well but don't know where it is. mind sharing the location pls?

Thanks!

boo_licious said...

lim - it looked good, we saw the next table eating it. Thanks for the tip.

tjsern - u can get mohrenglenz choc at Bake with Yen, Taman Megah. Seems it is cheaper. For Guten Braun, landmarks are next to Seapark Market further, behind the shell station near Paramount Gardens. Besides Gourmandines, you can get Valrhona from a main supplier but that is in bulk only unless you bake commercially.

evr - fukuya is near noble house along Jalan Damai. Will get you the actual address later as I don't have it with me now.

cyberK13 said...

hi boo, congrats on one of the best food blogs around.

there is a new jap place called hajime. setup is alot like wa-raku (if not nicer) and serves some very good jap food.

if ever u have a chance, do give them a review as business for them seems to be pretty slow (new opened, secluded location) .. and it will be a waste as imo this is one of the best place in town for jap food (very good seasonal stuff).

64, Jalan Damai, Off Jln Tun Razak (turn right before Plaza Yow Chuan if heading torwards Jalan Ampang intersection).

boo_licious said...

calvin - I saw that per yr blog. Will check it out one day. Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...