Monday, May 21, 2007

Nyonya Colors @ 1 Utama Shopping Centre Old Wing, Petaling Jaya



Whenever I visit 1 Utama Shopping Centre, I usually eat at this small kiosk. Taking over from Puffin Muffin which used to sell those enormous muffins, this is actually a branch of the Little Cravings place opposite the Giant Supermarket at the New Wing. Usually during the weekends, there is always a super long queue so patience is required when dining here. To get your food, place your order at the counter and they'll send you the items. If it's the sweet stuff you're picking out from the glass counter, just bring it to the tables at the side of the kiosk yourself. Pick from tables with stools or kopitiam chairs on either side of the kiosks.

One of my favourite items - their pre-packed Thai Bee Hoon. It's full of flavours as they use lots of chopped lemongrass and onions to fry the beehoon. Although plain with just egg shreds, it makes a nice snack. What's perfect for these small packs is then you get to try more things at the kiosk like their yummy kuih.



I read about the dry curry mee (RM7.90) from Babe in the City - KL's blog and tried it. Pretty good stuff too - the curry is not too lemak and fragrant from the spices. It comes with a generous portion of chicken leg with thin yellow noodles. Slurp it down as the curry is yummy but just make sure you're not wearing a white top or else it'll get curry stains all over. I've also tried their version of laksa which I reckon is not that fantastic. Probably because it's a different version as it's Thai Laksa and totally unlike the ones I have tasted before.



The kuihs are really good - pricey versus the outside stalls at a range of 70 to 90 sens per piece. The yellow and blue one is the tapioca banana, something we don't usually see around. The green and white one is the kuih talam while the last one is steamed tapioca with coconut. For more information on the varieties they offer, click on the link below to their website.



Although the food here is generally good, somehow their cold desserts are quite dismal. I tried their Thai red rubies dessert before - water chesnuts and shreds of nangka in coconut milk. Pretty bad as there isn't enough water chesnuts compared to the huge bowl of coconut milk hence it becomes tasteless. I guess that is not their forte so visit places like Mark's Assam Laksa for their much better desserts. Another thing which I kinda don't like about this place is their service at the counter is quite bad. Everyone is always looking super grumpy (maybe they're all underpaid!) and service can be quite slow.

Nyonya Colors
F65, First Floor
1 Utama Shopping Centre Old Wing
Petaling Jaya
(Halal)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+

Other reviews:

14 comments:

Rarebeet said...

Yay! New place to for lunch! Its so crowded on the weekends that my friends and I always end up eating at restaurants closest to the elevator, usually Oriental Cravings! But I can never say no to fried bee hoon so will go check it out.

boo_licious said...

paprika - oriental cravings is also good. One of those places I also hang out when I'm at the new wing. This place also gets crowded during weekends though.

Babe_KL said...

dun u find the queue system is very disorganised too? haha i totally agree with you about their cold dessert, sometimes the cendol strands come frozen!

Sapphira said...

YES! Their service is really bad. The lady yelled at me when she brought me the wrong dessert and I asked her about it. Can you believe that? Whatever happened to customer service or just plain simple courtesy? =P

boo_licious said...

babe - yeah, I kinda hate the service and no matter what time they're all super grumpy. I usually eat non peak times and already so bad hence I can imagine how bad it will be when it's the weekends.

sapphira - gosh! That is bad. I hate it when these things happen, leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Tummythoz said...

Not ec to find a good such fried beehoon. Scary service. Guess when I visit, I'll just tapau.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i just had it that day in klang..err was quite disappointed with their nasi lemak..the rice was not fragant..the condiments was just well no comment..the bubur cha cha was well..passable..mayb i might blog abt it..but guess i made all the wrong calls..shud hav just order beehoon

boo_licious said...

tummythoz - the fried beehoon is good and so are the kuih.

joe - I have yet to try their nasi lemak so can't comment but it's evident cold desserts are not their forte at all.

tihtahpah said...

i like the mini nonya kuehs it has to satisfy cravings..hahah...but still prefer the old school kind. coffee here is bad too.

cheesewithaspoon said...

Hey masak-masak,

Thanks for your great work tracking down worthwhile eateries for the rest of us! I have a question: the Mark's Assam Laksa place you recommend, in that in 1 Utama too? How do their kuih compare to Nyonya Colors'?

boo_licious said...

tihtahpah - nowadays not easy to get the old fashioned type though so these ones will have to satisfy.

cheesewithaspoon - Mark's is further down from Jusco Supermarket. No kuih there if I am not mistaken but they do nice cendol and iced desserts.

wmw said...

I like the Thai Bee Hoon too! Only been there once....non-peak hours.

boo_licious said...

wmw - yeah, must dine at non peak hours or else virtually impossible to eat here.

mh said...

just a typical fried beehoon? I saw this but always crowded, I should just tapau to have a try then. Btw, there was one lady sell great fried beehoon at Miharja STAR station (years ago), but not sure she's still there or not.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...