Friday, March 30, 2007

Lontong @ Pinang Masak, Kuala Lumpur




It's taken me quite a while to venture here probably because of the traffic jam that clogs up the entrance to Bukit Tunku. One day, I decided to brave it and found it wasn't too bad since they have open the ramp directly to Segambut/Jalan Ipoh.

I'm glad I did make the effort as I got to savour their fantastic lontong. The only thing which I didn't like was the technicolour orange it came in. I suspect it was also an effect of taking the picture under an orange canopy hence the extreme orangey-ness of the lontong.

Tastewise, it was rich but the consistency was not too thick making it extremely slurpy. Eaten with slightly soft nasi impit (compressed rice cubes), vegetables and tempe plus topped with sambal sotong, it was hard not to lick the bowl dry. I especially liked their sambal sotong which wasn't too soft but had a nice bite to it. However prices here are of course higher than the normal Malay stall and my bowl of lontong was slightly less than RM10.

Business has been good and they now boast of three more outlets scattered around town. I've also sampled their kuih muih (Malay cakes) before in a previous visit and they're pretty good too. Will definitely have to come back to try their various dishes for lunch.

Pinang Masak
Lot K2 Taman Tunku
Bukit Tunku (Kenny Hills)
Off Jalan Duta
Kuala Lumpur

Tel No : 03 - 6201 1964

(Halal. Open from morning till night from Monday to Saturday. They have also opened outlets at Kampung Attap, Bukit Bintang Plaza and within the Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with:
+

Other reviews:

16 comments:

Fulltime Mom said...

OMG! RM10 for a lontong. It better be really good!

Elaine said...

Hm..i just realized i have never really tried Lontong before O_o but that looks real good :)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

You're right, the colour does look a little strange but it's probably the influence of the colour of that yummy looking sotong on top and the huge dollop of sambal. ;-) I've always enjoyed the "lemak"ness of the lontong.

Precious Pea said...

Wow..look at the sambal sotong!! Sedapnya!! ***droolz***

sc said...

the lontong looks a lil different frm those i've tried in johor. the 'soup' looks thicker here and there's no peanut sauce? still, it does looks good..

boo_licious said...

fulltime mom - very good stuff!

sher - Msians are spoiled lot as we have so many choices, virtually 24 hours of food all the time.

The expedited writer - you should try. If you like curry you will love it.

lemongrass - I couldn't figure out what made it so orange. Usually the ones I eat is yellow from the turmeric. Strange rite?

Precious Pea - the sotong is so sedap, now I'm looking at the pix and thinking of driving there for a fix of lontong. Aargh!

Sc - yeah, not the johor yellow variety. Nope, no peanut sauce like the Johor type and the same one in Section 14, PJ.

tankiasu said...

Bukit Tunku is near to my office...hmmm....so I brave the traffic like you did to have that lontong for lunch? :P

Xiu Long Bao said...

Heard bout this place that serves gud malay food. Bet the food is expensive bcus of its unique location--Kenny hills wiv all the rich men...

wanderlust said...

As a Johorean, I grew up eating Lontong, mostly for breakfast. Simply love it! The best one I had still the stall near my home in Muar. Too bad the mak cik decided to end her business due to family issues.

KL is not a place known for its Lontong (well, compared to food like Hokkien Mee etc) but I do find a few stalls serve really good Lontong in Kampung Baru. Often go there on Sunday morning. The Beef Rendang and Pekedil are good. It comes with all the standard trimming, Sambal, Kuah Kacang, Serunding and Tofu in the soup.

Another one I like is the 2nd floor foodcourt in UBN Tower on Jalan P Ramlee. (Mon to Fri only for breakfast) The Lontong there is delicious with both Sambal and kuah Kacang but no Serunding. At RM1.50 per bowl, it is a great bargain.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hey..looks yummy
just a question..i go around the bkt tunku area as a short cut from pwtc to jln duta..is it situated where tat row of shoplots/apartments lookalike b4 the tennis courts??

boo_licious said...

tankiasu - lontong not available for lunch I think. Usually it's a breakfast dish but try their cooked dishes.

xiu long bao - Prices are slightly on the high side. Maybe they're not so expensive at their other outlets?

wanderlust - thxs for the tip on the UBN one, will try it one day. Hey, where in Kg Baru do you eat Lontong? Must try as sometimes I also swing by there.

someone who is constantly craving - this place is where the southern bank is or shld I say CIMB now. There's Tanners Bistro and Topaz also at the apts/shops.

Tummythoz said...

Bkt Tunku. Exclusive location = high price. But since it's deliciously chockful of ingredients, it's reasonable. Hey, afterall we are paying RM10++ for franchised ice blended coffee.

boo_licious said...

tummythoz - Read yr review on Gonbei, guess I don't need to go there as I had the impression you were not impressed. Oh, I hate ice blended coffees, waste of monies.

chocolalat! said...

been wanting to try out their kampung spread.

boo_licious said...

chocolalat - Yeah, so have I. Now you can visit their other outlets rather than just this place.

Anonymous said...

my mum's cafe :) hehehe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...