Monday, March 26, 2007

Eating Out @ Ting Heng Seafood Restaurant, Kuala Lumpur



I almost forgot about these pictures which I took once when I had lunch with a friend of mine - blame it again on my inefficient way of labeling my pictures. She had been raving on about this place hence I was keen to try it. Located in a bungalow, this restaurant is directly opposite the Beryl chocolate showroom. Kinda fun to walk in to that place which I did since I had some time to kill before lunch. Lots of variety and they even have chocolate covered potato chips a la Royce chocolate which mainly cater to the tourists. Parking here can be a pain though as it's pretty limited unless you park across the road where there's a paid parking.


My friend did the ordering and since it was the two of us, we had only a few dishes. This place is actually famous for steamboat and fresh seafood but we went for their cooked dishes. First, we had their famous pork neck dish cooked in a sweet and sour style. Although they have a few styles to cook the pork neck (one is satay as seen in the other blog review), the most popular is their sweet and sour. I felt the sauce was slightly too sweet, a sign of too much maltose in it but totally loved the soft pork neck which was battered and fried. Using pork neck for this dish was an excellent choice as it's not as dry compared to the other parts.



Next was the scary looking Australian Giant Squid Tentacles. Bearing a slight resemblance to an alien's long fingers, these large tentacles are battered and fried then coated with salted egg yolk. Crunchy with a salty but creamy sauce, this was pretty good stuff. Definitely made a change from the puny squids we get from our local shores. To make us feel less guilty, we also ordered a plain fried Yau Mak (Romaine Lettuce). Besides these items, I was also told they do a pretty good Fried Rice here so do pop in when you're around this area. Prices are also pretty reasonable if I remember correctly.


Ting Heng Seafood Restaurant
36, Jalan Utara
Off Jalan Imbi
Kuala Lumpur

Tel No: 03 – 2141 8636

(Non Halal. Open for lunch and dinner.)
Updated on 9 May, 2007 - Ting Heng is now known as Palm Garden after a management change. Chef has also switched to Imbi Palace and the food is not as good.

Other reviews:

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant/stall for writing this review.


Tagged with: +

17 comments:

D said...

The so-called wong kum (that's what they call the salted egg yolk dishes in HK and Aus) squid tentacles look so good!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Hehe, the giant squid tentacles certainly look scary. And sinful, considering it's fried with salted egg yolk. But who cares, right, if it's yummy? :-P I've driven past this place several times, but never thought of stopping. Maybe it's time I did.

boo_licious said...

d - it's really good stuff. Sinful but what the heck!

lyrical lemongrass - yeah, I stared at it for a while when it reached the table. Look at the other review as her food looks good too.

tankiasu said...

You sure the price there is reasonable? My dad told me that place is mainly to con tourists. :-P Never tried it myself though.

MeiyeN said...

pork neck?!!! wow...never try that before.....how's da texture like?

Flower said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Flower said...

I hope this giant squid is not from the same one they caught of the coast of NZ. It weight around 495kg. REally colossal. (For the news :http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,21426583-1702,00.html?from=public_rss)

Precious Pea said...

The squid tentacles.....my fav! A must order when i go for dim sum in Melb. They make the best yau yue sou. Sniff sniff..i want i want i want!

wanderlust said...

Theng Heng in fact a great place for Hot Pot (Steamboat). They have rather unique soup base but most of them are fish base. My fav is the one with Chinese Parsley and Century Egg. YUM!!

The Sweet and Sour Pork is to die for. Though there are 2 or 3 of us sometimes, we always ask for big portion. The cut of meat they used the neck, thinly sliced and fried till crispy....

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wow..i thought the pig is so fat till theres no neck?? ke ke..
anywayz looks very good and unique..
btw..thanks for putting my blog as a link and visiting my blog as well..cheers

obachan said...

The fried lettus looks so good. I want some right now. (I just had a bit "guilty" dinner tonight.)

zewt said...

you sure know how to take nice picture of food. so tempting... oh, but i cant. i have to go on 49 days of vege in honour of my mother.

some other time then...

cheers.

boo_licious said...

tankiasu - lunch was slightly less than RM20 per pax. Not that cheap but neither cut throat.

meiyen - texture is nice. Not fat but not rough like the skinny pork.

flower - I don't think so but I suspect this one is a smaller one but still alien looking.

precious pea - I also want the beef noodles from Seremban. We trade?

wanderlust - I'm not much of a steamboat fan but sounds interesting the soups they use. Looks like you love their Sweet and Sour Pork a lot.

someone who is constantly craving - no problems, do keep up the blog and LOL on the pig has no neck. Come to think of it, you have a point.

boo_licious said...

obachan - Happy Birthday! I love the cake you made.

zewt - I'm sorry to hear abt your mum. May she rest in peace and don't worry, the yummy food will still be around after you finish yr 49 days vegetarian fast.

Precious Pea said...

preciouspea: Hehehe...can can. The noodle really nice, actually Seremban is not that far, worth the drive for the beef noodle and siew pow.

wanderlust said...

Boo_licious,

I am not a steamboat person myself... who on earth sit in front of a boiling pot of water for hours in no end eating a variety of foods of different shapes, size and origin that ultimately taste the same?- Boiled? In Malaysian Weather no less. BUT! I do somehow enjoyed my few experiences at Theng Heng.

Bring on the pigs! Without pork, there will not be some of the most delicious food in the world for it be Chinese, Italian, French, Mexican...

boo_licious said...

wanderlust - LOL! Like you I find steamboat to be simply too hot for me and I hate it because all the food is processed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...