Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Sao Nam @ Hartamas Shopping Centre



Last weekend was a whirlwind of sorting out the new house plus searching for furniture items. I kinda envision our future weekends to be hanging out at furniture, electrical, lighting, kitchen and bathroom shops to look for items. The down side of going out is I don't get to cook dinner so we have been eating out most of the time.

As we wanted to check out an electrical and kitchen shop, we ended up trying the newly opened Sao Nam. It's a branch of the popular Vietnamese restaurant located at Tengkat Tung Shin which we ate before. Didn't blog about it as I couldn't take pictures since it was too dark for my camera. This time round, I wanted to sit outside where the light was better but Splashie Boy was not keen as he said it was too hot to eat al-fresco.

With a reluctant heart, I trudged inside and perused the menu. I had a hard time reading it as nothing looked familar. A quick check with the waiter on why things were so different and he explained to me that this outlet served Northern Vietnamese food while the Tengkat Tung Shin one served Southern Vietnamese cuisine. He recommended curry noodles which sounded good so I had them while Splashie Boy ordered the beef noodles. We also ordered a platter of deep fried rolls and rice paper rolls.

I so wanted to take pictures of my food but the light wasn't too bright, they had these nice big paper lamps with teeny Christmas lights above us. Great atmospheric lights but lousy for picture taking. I attempted one picture of our appetisers and thought it was a bit too dark so I gave up. I came back and looked at it on my pc and it didn't look too bad, hence I decided to post it up and blog a bit on the food.

I liked the rolls especially with Sao Nam's dipping sauce, the deep fried ones has a prawn and chicken mince inside them. My curry noodles was so yummy; chunks of chicken, a sweet potato, white noodles (kinda like the ones I ate at the Thai fair) in a yellowish curry sauce. I was given an unusual dip too, chopped chillies mixed with salt and freshly squeezed lime juice that went so well with the curry noodles. Splashie Boy's beef noodles were a bit thicker than the normal beef pho you get - he kinda preferred the other Sao Nam version because this one was a bit too oily for him. We both had smoothies and their ciku smoothie is really yummy and filling that we didn't need dessert after that. I don't really go to many Vietnamese restaurants but I liked the food they served here so I'm definitely come back for their rice dishes.

Sao Nam Restaurant
Lot P-36, 2nd Floor
Hartamas Shopping Centre
Jalan Sri Hartamas 1
50480 Kuala Lumpur

Tel: 03 - 6201 0225
(No pork served)

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

8 comments:

Thaaniya said...

Again, YUM! What else can I say. Next time I plan to go to KL, am gonna have to look thru ur blog again to note down the makan places! Keep on reviewin'!

boo_licious said...

thaaniya - yeah, make sure you come soon to eat all the yummy food.

rabbit - wrapper made from rice flour. I have a packet in my cupboard, it's hard and you soak it in water to soften it.

rokh said...

if you want to try vietnamese cuisine, try vietnam kitchen, it's my all time favourite. might blog bout it when i have the chance to take better pictures

Thaaniya said...

Haha! U don't have to tell me twice!

boo_licious said...

rokh - I must try out viet kitchen, seems to come highly recommended by all.

Thaaniya - keep telling you so you will jump on the plane soon.

Unknown said...

For those who are into alfresco dining, there is also a Sao Nam at Tengkat Tung Shin in the Bukit Bintang area, along the same row as La Bodega, Jiak Guan and Old Siam.

boo_licious said...

Thanks tiger. Have you tried Jiak Guan? It looks interesting and I have been meaning to give it a go.

Unknown said...

Jiak Guan is a cosy place with a menu that satisfies without trying to show off.

It's a nice place for a meal, especially with pleasurable company.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...